City of Madison, Wis. Eyes Draconian Zoning Ordinances to 'Adapt to Climate Change'

I actually don't consider these draconian measures, nor do I think they're off-base. I do think that, given the situation with oil prices this time last year, that they're taking wise steps to address issues of transportation that would allow the community to function if gas prices spike again.

And, all communities need to be doing this. Our current way of life is not sustainable and is keeping us engaged with an unstable and expensive middle east "peace" process. Have you ever given any thought to the fact that if we'd reduce our foreign oil dependence through encouraging alternative and more fuel-economical transportation that we could GET OUR PEOPLE OUT of the middle east and stop feeding their weapons development programs with our fuel dollars?

I actually consider it a CONSERVATIVE approach to plan for a rainy day...I don't know how conservativism became "apologists for corporate globalism" and "playing it safe and being frugal with our kids' futures" became "liberalism gone amuck."

Last edited:
"Draconian"

LMAO
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This is the best republican "faux" outrage post of the month.

what exactly is Draconian about these proposed ideas?

City of Madison Meeting Agenda:

Sustainability Ideas that can be addressed through Zoning
ENERGY:

1. Remove obstacles and provide incentives for other renewable energy opportunities
(wind, geothermal, etc.).
2. Allow for district cogeneration of heat and power, including geothermal.
3. Permit district co-op for alternative energy generation & neighborhood distribution.
4. Remove obstacles to renewable energy systems on buildings.
5. Allow solar power plants (small and large).
6. Allow for solar orientation—solar access, building placement, street design.
7. Allow violations of setbacks when implementing renewable energy systems.
8. Provide wind overlay on zones / districts.
9. **Create incentives for district heating/cooling in multi-use developments,
industrial and office parks.
10. **Allow for electric car plug-in, set aside space for infrastructure.

Am I missing something? What's wrong with trying to improve the environment? I'm not a believer in the man-made global warming thing but I never did understand why companies and people think it's ok to use the earth as a dumping ground. Why not implement some of these measures? I like that they are creating incentives, rather than taxing those who don't comply.

No Zoom, you didn't miss anything.

Kman is just being a little girl. She evidently only comes on the board to play act out some faux outrage fantasies about marxist liberals.

Am I missing something? What's wrong with trying to improve the environment? I'm not a believer in the man-made global warming thing but I never did understand why companies and people think it's ok to use the earth as a dumping ground. Why not implement some of these measures? I like that they are creating incentives, rather than taxing those who don't comply.

well, it costs money to not pollute.

well, it costs money to not pollute.

It costs money to clean up pollution too. And what about people who become sick from what is dumped into . . . well, everything? How do you measure that cost?

Honestly, I never understood that companies dump their waste into the rivers and oceans and air. Do they really think it won't affect anything? And spewing crap into the air. I live near a company that has been spewing some of the highest levels of TCE in the nation into the air. Do they reallly think it all just dissipates? Here's a link to an article just out about it. Due to some outstanding efforts of folks, the TCE will be removed (to be replaced with a less hazardous chemical :rolleyes:). The TCE Blog - Superior Tube to eliminate TCE use (PA)

Clean environment or dirty environment, one way or another there is a price to pay. We live on the earth . . . why not take care of it? Isn't that better for everything all around?

Last edited:
It costs money to clean up pollution too. And what about people who become sick from what is dumped into . . . well, everything? How do you measure that cost?

It also costs money to invest in alternative energy sources and decrease our reliance on middle east oil reserves and other fossil fuels. But in the long run, isn't it worth it to do so? Jeeze.

KMAN = :cuckoo:

We have untapped oil reserves in this country that Dwarf what there is in the Middle East... Oil is used for a hell of a lot of things beside fuel you know.

Where precisely are they going to find geothermal sourcs in Wisconsin? It's along way to the earth's core from there. Geothermal is something we can do out west where there is plenty hot crap near the surface. Ditto for solar in Wisconsin where winter sunshine is limited at best. Wind you might do something with but the best way to do wind power isn't giant ass damn wind farms but givning people a huge write off on their taxes for purchasing small scale wind turbines that would pretty much power their house.

Forum List

Back