Citizenship 101 | Civics Education | Survey of Adults - 36% 35% 27% 21%

There is no way educated people would fall for that.

So, "there is no way educated people would" possibly have a point of view that differs from yours? You arrogant fuck.

Liberals... :rolleyes:

Selectively quoting what I said is the same as lying isn't it?

No, addressing just part of the pile of shit you posted is not "lying." Stop whining.

I never said or implied that no educated person could disagree with me. I said no educated person would whine about keeping the government out of Medicare, or think that everyone carrying a gun strapped to their hip would be a good thing....

In other words, "no educated person would disagree" with your view on those issues. Are you too stupid to understand what you wrote yourself?

Well, since Medicare is a government program, I would say no educated person would whine about keeping the government out of it, and anyone who thinks every person being armed at all times is a good thing is extremely stupid or at least poorly educated of the danger that would cause. Even the military doesn't want all their members armed.

There is a lot blame to go around concerning this issue. Apathetic teachers/students/parents all share some of the blame

yes. We all get to vote on what we have. We all get to push it off onto others. We get to complain. We all get to suffer the consequences of avoiding public duty and obligations

Most people who vote are not educated on the issues let alone about how our Government runs.

There is no way educated people would fall for that.

So, "there is no way educated people would" possibly have a point of view that differs from yours? You arrogant fuck.

No, addressing just part of the pile of shit you posted is not "lying." Stop whining.

I never said or implied that no educated person could disagree with me. I said no educated person would whine about keeping the government out of Medicare, or think that everyone carrying a gun strapped to their hip would be a good thing. Even in the wild west, they made them check their guns at the sheriff's office when they came to town. Obviously you aren't educated enough to understand what you read.

It depends on which town, other towns had different laws when it came to guns in their towns.
That is the difference.
The Local town and Cities did that with guns not the Feds. The majority of the people said that is what they wanted. That's called the power of the people.
That gave each City and Town to do what the majority of the locals wanted, not the Feds who impose it on every State, whether the local people want it or not.
When the Feds do it, it takes away our freedom.

So you think it would be a good thing for everybody to be armed when the mall opens at 5:00 AM on black Friday? Come on now. You know better than that.

Well, since Medicare is a government program, I would say no educated person would whine about keeping the government out of it, and anyone who thinks every person being armed at all times is a good thing is extremely stupid or at least poorly educated of the danger that would cause. Even the military doesn't want all their members armed.

In other words, "no educated person would disagree" with your opinion on those issues.

I never said or implied that no educated person could disagree with me. I said no educated person would whine about keeping the government out of Medicare, or think that everyone carrying a gun strapped to their hip would be a good thing....

In other words, "no educated person would disagree" with your view on those issues. Are you too stupid to understand what you wrote yourself?

What they were complaining about was the Government taking away 700 Billion from Medicare.
Concealed carry is States rights not the Feds.

There is a lot blame to go around concerning this issue. Apathetic teachers/students/parents all share some of the blame

yes. We all get to vote on what we have. We all get to push it off onto others. We get to complain. We all get to suffer the consequences of avoiding public duty and obligations

Most people who vote are not educated on the issues let alone about how our Government runs.
hello?

:rofl:

yet every asshole pol will say something like "I respect the American voter" and "The voters always get it right in the end"

What they were complaining about was the Government taking away 700 Billion from Medicare.
what bullshit

Civics education hasn't completely disappeared from American schools -- but...

A survey of adults conducted in September by the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania found that only 36% could name all three branches of the U.S. government; 35% couldn't name even one. Only 27% of respondents knew that it requires a two-thirds vote of the House and Senate to override a president's veto, and 21% wrongly thought that a 5-4 Supreme Court decision must be returned to Congress for reconsideration. Kathleen Hall Jamieson, the director of the Annenberg center, said the survey “offers dramatic evidence of the need for more and better civics education.”
Education in good citizenship is being shortchanged by an American educational system that is focused on other 'core competencies.' - Citizenship 101 Too many Americans are ignorant of the basics of democracy - LA Times

Who is to blame and why?

The school SYSTEM. The SYSTEM is worried more about how it looks on paper rather than educating the students. When someone can graduate, get accepted to college, and have to take remedial classes, the system is a joke.

true, but blaming the school 'system' is a cop out. We as citizens are in charge of the system. We can change any 'system' we want if we can convince others to agree with us rather than sitting and shouting slogans.

We get the school system we deserve

I fought it for 13 years as a teacher. If you think it's easy, you're wrong. The problem is that while there are those of us who will actually do something to fight it, we are outnumbered tremendously by those who benefit from the way it is or don't care outside their own child.

I taught American Government and Civics. Not one person got credit for a class required to graduate unless they truly passed including SENIORS that did not graduate with their class as a result. Trust me, I lived hard for it but no one was going to pin percentages like that on me for not having done my job.

I apologize if I led you to believe it should be easy for an individual to change anything. I respect what you claim to have done and only wish there were others within the system who would stand up. But i am speaking to the citizenship at large -- the polity. We won the system. It is ours.

Conservative65 :clap2:

It's why I no longer chose to be in the system.

Those that won't stand up got the the system for us.

what bullshit

You are the one who is believing the BS spin about what they were complaining about.

Civics education hasn't completely disappeared from American schools -- but...

A survey of adults conducted in September by the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania found that only 36% could name all three branches of the U.S. government; 35% couldn't name even one. Only 27% of respondents knew that it requires a two-thirds vote of the House and Senate to override a president's veto, and 21% wrongly thought that a 5-4 Supreme Court decision must be returned to Congress for reconsideration. Kathleen Hall Jamieson, the director of the Annenberg center, said the survey “offers dramatic evidence of the need for more and better civics education.”
Education in good citizenship is being shortchanged by an American educational system that is focused on other 'core competencies.' - Citizenship 101 Too many Americans are ignorant of the basics of democracy - LA Times

Who is to blame and why?

The school SYSTEM. The SYSTEM is worried more about how it looks on paper rather than educating the students. When someone can graduate, get accepted to college, and have to take remedial classes, the system is a joke.

true, but blaming the school 'system' is a cop out. We as citizens are in charge of the system. We can change any 'system' we want if we can convince others to agree with us rather than sitting and shouting slogans.

I fought it for 13 years as a teacher. If you think it's easy, you're wrong. The problem is that while there are those of us who will actually do something to fight it, we are outnumbered tremendously by those who benefit from the way it is or don't care outside their own child.

I taught American Government and Civics. Not one person got credit for a class required to graduate unless they truly passed including SENIORS that did not graduate with their class as a result. Trust me, I lived hard for it but no one was going to pin percentages like that on me for not having done my job.

I apologize if I led you to believe it should be easy for an individual to change anything. I respect what you claim to have done and only wish there were others within the system who would stand up. But i am speaking to the citizenship at large -- the polity. We won the system. It is ours.

teachers alone could never change the educational system

I know you know better

what bullshit

You are the one who is believing the BS spin about what they were complaining about.

The medicare thing was bs

teachers alone could never change the educational system

I know you know better

That's a part of my choice to leave it. Many teachers are enablers within the system. They're the ones that pass someone through for trying. I graded every assignment. Many involved nothing more than finding a current event about U.S government and writing a summary on it. It was worth 10% of the overall grade and what most would call a gimme. I had people where it made a difference between letter grades because they didn't do it.

In other words, "no educated person would disagree" with your opinion on those issues.

It's not just my opinion that Medicare is a government program, it's a fact. Also, it's not my opinion that even the military doesn't think it's a good idea for everybody to be armed, it's a fact. So whether you want to think of it as just my opinion or not,
on those two particular subjects no educated person would disagree.

Sure, right wingers want to do away with Medicare to start with, and they are just using the excuse of funding changes to complain. Also, they are whining about states rights, but it's really about following the lead of the NRA.

It's not just my opinion that Medicare is a government program, it's a fact. Also, it's not my opinion that even the military doesn't think it's a good idea for everybody to be armed, it's a fact. So whether you want to think of it as just my opinion or not,

The original topic was healthcare insurance in general. Yeah, your straw man was noticed. The 2nd Amendment, like all the other ones, is not subject to military approval.

In other words, "no educated person would disagree" with your opinion on those issues. Arrogant fuck. Typical liberal.

It is not ignorance...it is complacency. We have become dependent on being ruled by a ruling class. Why do you think so many Americans are so enthralled by the idea of English royalty. We are searching for the wrong kind of leaders!

The original topic was healthcare insurance in general. Yeah, your straw man was noticed. The 2nd Amendment, like all the other ones, is not subject to military approval.

In other words, "no educated person would disagree" with your opinion on those issues. Arrogant fuck. Typical liberal.

No. Actually the original topic was citizenship/civics education. Sorry, but you're just wrong.

Sure, right wingers want to do away with Medicare to start with, and they are just using the excuse of funding changes to complain. Also, they are whining about states rights, but it's really about following the lead of the NRA.

No right wingers do not want to do away with Medicare.
They want to make changes in how it's run.
There is a disagreement between Democrats and Republicans on how to do those changes, but is not doing away with it.
Did Republicans vote to end Medicare as we know it PolitiFact

The NRA is sticking up for our 2nd amendment rights.
I also notice that anyone who has a different point of view or opinion to you is whining.
You can't make a high pitched sound on a message board.
You can shout by making large typing but not a high pitch.

No. Actually the original topic was citizenship/civics education. Sorry, but you're just wrong.

Put down the paddles, your straw man is dead.

Put down the paddles, your straw man is dead.

I'm not sure you understand what a straw man is.

Forum List

Back