Citigroup Saw No Red Flags Even as It Made Bolder Bets

NOBama

Sep 23, 2008
logoprinter.gif

November 23, 2008
The Reckoning
Citigroup Saw No Red Flags Even as It Made Bolder Bets

By ERIC DASH and JULIE CRESWELL

“Our job is to set a tone at the top to incent people to do the right thing and to set up safety nets to catch people who make mistakes or do the wrong thing and correct those as quickly as possible. And it is working. It is working.”

Charles O. Prince III, Citigroup’s chief executive, in 2006
In September 2007, with Wall Street confronting a crisis caused by too many souring mortgages, Citigroup executives gathered in a wood-paneled library to assess their own well-being.

There, Citigroup’s chief executive, Charles O. Prince III, learned for the first time that the bank owned about $43 billion in mortgage-related assets. He asked Thomas G. Maheras, who oversaw trading at the bank, whether everything was O.K.

Mr. Maheras told his boss that no big losses were looming, according to people briefed on the meeting who would speak only on the condition that they not be named.

For months, Mr. Maheras’s reassurances to others at Citigroup had quieted internal concerns about the bank’s vulnerabilities. But this time, a risk-management team was dispatched to more rigorously examine Citigroup’s huge mortgage-related holdings. They were too late, however: within several weeks, Citigroup would announce billions of dollars in losses.
Normally, a big bank would never allow the word of just one executive to carry so much weight. Instead, it would have its risk managers aggressively look over any shoulder and guard against trading or lending excesses.

But many Citigroup insiders say the bank’s risk managers never investigated deeply enough. Because of longstanding ties that clouded their judgment, the very people charged with overseeing deal makers eager to increase short-term earnings — and executives’ multimillion-dollar bonuses — failed to rein them in, these insiders say.

More

It stuns me that a couple of months ago they were trying to buy Wachovia.

It stuns me that a couple of months ago they were trying to buy Wachovia.

It's absolutely unreal. I was on the verge of a headache after reading that article. Actually, I'm still trying to digest it.

Yet another fine company in need of a taxpayer bailout. Thank you Neoconservative President Bush and the Democrat-controlled Congress (including Obama)!

unbelieveable! and then Paulson gives them 20 billion in cash PLUS and additional 306 billion loan for their toxic assets....??????

Is this OVER and above the 700 billion we gave paulson?????

My head is spinning.....i'm with you on this nobama...

And the 20 billion for the big 3 is still a "no"?

I truely do NOT understand why we keep bailing out these people on wall street and NOT the people on MAIN STREET?

NONE of these bail outs are working....WOW, what an incredible thing to do to us tax payers.... if there ever was a time to CURSE it is now.... bastards!!!!!!

you know, if they had taken this money and lowered ALL homeowners interest on their mortgage payments....from whatever...from 6% to 3% or from an adjustable to a firm 5% then NO ONE or hardly anyone would default on their homes, and the rest of the homeowners who were in good standing would get a 50% reduction on their mortgage payment of which they could USE this extra money to buy a car or truck or even save it, this would have helped the whole situation and be a stimulus to our econonmy at the same time....like a tax cut....

Now granted, that would not have helped me that much, because we own our home outright and have no mortgage....so my hubby and I will have no more money in our pockets to spend....however, it will help us minutely by houses not losing as much value as they have in this mess....

I just do not understand why we keep giving these irresponsible baqnks and financial institutions and insurance companies with our TAX MONIES without requesting ANYTHING from these bozos THAT WILL ACTUALLY HELP US.

I HATE PAULSON AT THIS POINT....with a passion....(may God for give me for this hate :()

What we needed to do was nothing. We need to let the correction happen as it naturally would, rather than try to prop up bad businesses.

What we needed to do was nothing. We need to let the correction happen as it naturally would, rather than try to prop up bad businesses.

well, i don't disagree with that, i was vehemently against the wall street 1 trillion dollar bailout FROM the BEGINNING....

I am just trying to figure out how it would have been better used SINCE it was USED.

Care

Come on now, folks.

Admit it.

A year ago, most of you assumed that the CEOs of these banks were genuises who deserved their enormous salaries because they were the captains of industries.

A year ago many of you were whining on their behalf about how unfair it was that they had to pay a higher rate of taxes than working people.

Where is your blind faith in the the people who control the market to get it right, now?

Agreed. What if that were to happen now? What effect would that have? Let things work out . . . however they will. After pouring untold amounts of money into all of this, and nothing seems to be working, what would happen if they stopped throwing money into the pit?

This may sound totally offbase, but . . . is there any way that this could have somehow been some kind of terrorist plan?

Agreed. What if that were to happen now? What effect would that have? Let things work out . . . however they will. After pouring untold amounts of money into all of this, and nothing seems to be working, what would happen if they stopped throwing money into the pit?

This may sound totally offbase, but . . . is there any way that this could have somehow been some kind of terrorist plan?

Well the correction's gotta happen at some point or we'll probably see the collapse of the dollar.

I don't think any terrorists had anything to do with this, other than Osama saying he wanted to bankrupt us in an un-winnable war. Though our foreign policy wasn't the only or even the main reason for this crisis, it certainly added to it. I believe Mike Huckabee was talking about some kind of terrorist hacking the stock market or something, you'll have to look into that if you're interested.

Well, wasn't Bin Laden's stated goal the bankruptcy of America?

I guess that Bin Laden is pretty thankful to all these banking executives. They have accomplished what he could only dream of!

not really---the banking executives are his mortal enemies.

So I guess he's heartbroken that they've destroyed the U.S. economy, huh?

He comes from a very wealthy family and is used to dealing in large financial transactions - Islamic society has always been a very capitalistic society. Why would you think that banking execs are, in particular, his mortal enemies?

Given Islamic fundamentalism, I'd say that he'd support them all have a couple dozen wives.

Perhaps they ARE the sleeper agents of the Islamic revolution?

Or perhaps he is but a pawn in their plan of total world domination.

Oh, I forgot, they already have achieved world domination.

So I guess he's heartbroken that they've destroyed the U.S. economy, huh?

He comes from a very wealthy family and is used to dealing in large financial transactions - Islamic society has always been a very capitalistic society. Why would you think that banking execs are, in particular, his mortal enemies?

Given Islamic fundamentalism, I'd say that he'd support them all have a couple dozen wives.

Perhaps they ARE the sleeper agents of the Islamic revolution?

Or perhaps he is but a pawn in their plan of total world domination.

Oh, I forgot, they already have achieved world domination.

Please tell me you're not serious---you know full well who bin laden's mortal enemies are.

Forum List

Back