Cia director david petraeus submits letter of resignation

I'm actually a little surprised it took three whole days after the implosion of the unskewed polls fantasy for the next rightwing conspiracy theory to pop up. C'mon people, are you even trying?

so you tell us then.. Why is Petraeus suddenly not testifying? Any reason you can think of?

Politicians resign for those reasons all the time. In the military, it's especially frowned upon .

jesus , hes not in the military....
As has already been pointed out, he was. He is still known as General Petraes, and, one more time, it's not uncommon for high profile individuals, like politicians to resign for the same reason.

Resigning when an affair is discovered is fairly common

just as Romney was called Governor....its an honorific...;)

I am not saying he didn't I just think the timing is , well, interesting.

I also want to say that, as a career soldier, taking the job at the CIA is not exactly what a career soldier aims for ( imho, but I think thats a safe assumption) , they want to be the top dog in their profession, that is the Chief of Staff.

I will speculate that Obama told him he would never make him the Chief and this would be the best he could do, so he took it.

I am interested if obama new of the affair when he offered him that post and now, that the heat is on, played the 'hand me your resignation letter' card, to try and diffuse or add more confusion as to what he can or cannot say and how much will be believed as to the part he may have played in the Benghazi incident. wheels within wheels. Its fun to conjure with.

I mean if Petreaus is mr. honorable and he had had or was having an affair, he accepted that position??

Was he sure it would come out? why would he voluntarily make it known, unless it was already known by those that could use it against him?:eusa_eh: Generally you step aside when the heat is on(?)or, you step aside to stop any heat from exposure....

no... casualty of his own open zipper...

from his resignation letter:

CIA Director David Petraeus resigns, cites extramarital affair - U.S. News

i know there will be mourning in rightwingnuthackworld because he didn't resign because of "behghazi".

did bush's CIA director resign because the US got attacked on bush's watch?

he did resign because of benghazi, that letter about "an affair" is just another in a long line of cover ups.

Your fevered imagination is working overtime. Is this going to be another loony right conspiracy?

Do you think petrarus is a liar?

I heard Petraeus say in his statement that he was looking forward to testifying next week and then 30 minutes later, the Senate Intelligence Committee says that he won't be testifying? Can you think of any valid reason he shouldn't testify?

Uh, if he was desperately trying to keep it a secret, and he's director of the CIA, well, you do the math.

But why does this matter? who cares what Patraeus sticks his dick into at night?

They don't. They just don't want him testifying at the Benghazi hearings next week.

Ah right, so Petraeus has invented this story about his infidelity so he can use it as an excuse to resign?

lol, move over birthers.

He should call Colon and ask the best route to being a democrat.

breaking , no links yet.......

Benghazi casualty? :eusa_think:

if anyone has another idea for a more appropriate forum for this sound off, I am not sure were it should go...*shrugs*

no... casualty of his own open zipper...

from his resignation letter:

November 2012
Yesterday afternoon, I went to the White House and asked the President to be allowed, for personal reasons, to resign from my position as D/CIA. After being married for over 37 years, I showed extremely poor judgment by engaging in an extramarital affair. Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours. This afternoon, the President graciously accepted my resignation.

As I depart Langley, I want you to know that it has been the greatest of privileges to have served with you, the officers of our Nation's Silent Service, a work force that is truly exceptional in every regard. Indeed, you did extraordinary work on a host of critical missions during my time as director, and I am deeply grateful to you for that.

CIA Director David Petraeus resigns, cites extramarital affair - U.S. News

i know there will be mourning in rightwingnuthackworld because he didn't resign because of "behghazi".

did bush's CIA director resign because the US got attacked on bush's watch?

I don't get it, why did he resign? What happened to "it's nobody's business when it's between two consenting adults?" Or does that just apply to Clinton?

I dont understand why his resigning would prevent him from testifying...
Me either...Waiting for someone to 'splain that one.

He would be giving testimony in his capacity as CIA director. If he's not CIA director he can't testify in that capacity. Although Dianne Feinstein just said that she was going to find a way to make him testify anyway.

As I've read, his testimony as CIA director would have been closed. As a private citizen, he would have to testify publicly and the administration could claim he can't testify publicly for security reasons. Damned convenient, but I'm thinking SCOTUS might fit into the puzzle somewhere in the not too distant future.

apparently there was a FBI investigation into another issue, his name come up as to his biographer.....apparently she is the other woman....

The biographer for resigning CIA Director David Petraeus is under FBI investigation for improperly trying to access his email and possibly gaining access to classified information, law enforcement officials told NBC News on Friday.

Paula Broadwell is the author of Petraeus' biography, "All In." She had extensive access to Petraeus in Afghanistan and has given numerous television interviews speaking about him.

Petraeus' biographer Paula Broadwell under FBI investigation over access to his email, law enforcement officials say - U.S. News

I wonder how much he was paid to step down and give that excuse!

What people won't do for money....and i'm sure he's ok with his wife because it isn't real.

And now he doesn't have to testify?? And the left will think there's nothing funny about this??

But why does this matter? who cares what Patraeus sticks his dick into at night?

They don't. They just don't want him testifying at the Benghazi hearings next week.

Ah right, so Petraeus has invented this story about his infidelity so he can use it as an excuse to resign?

lol, move over birthers.

What does marital fidelity have to do with the job of CIA director? He might have had an affair, but that of itself seems to be no reason to resign. Nobody cares and he wasn't running for election.

Everyone at work thinks he was being blackmailed by Obamination after the FBI found out about his affair with some book writer. He was supposed to lie about Libya or be exposed for the affair....so he resigned.

lol, move over birthers.

What does marital fidelity have to do with the job of CIA director? He might have had an affair, but that of itself seems to be no reason to resign. Nobody cares and he wasn't running for election.

Didn't Hilary call Patreaus a liar right to his face once? I think her did. General Betrayus. That's his newly found title especially for his wife.

lol, move over birthers.

Let's just suppose he did have an affair. It does seem pretty likely, he did...
When was this affair? Do you really think that someone under as much scrutiny as the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency could conceal that from 10,000 professional spies?
The odds are 99 to 1 that the Administration already knew of the affair and saved the information until it was needed.
My thoughts are that SCOTUS will decide post haste whether or not Gen Petraus will be talking to Congress. I'm betting there are a dozen or so House lawyers dictating briefs as we speak.

Forum List

Back