Chris Kluwe is a tool

TheGreatGatsby

Gold Member
Mar 27, 2012
California
A few months back, I watched a long form interview with Chris Kluwe. I think it was The Dan Patrick Show, but I'm not a hundred percent sure. Anyhow, DP asked him point blank if he lost his job with the Vikings because of his pro-gay viewpoints. He said something to the effect of no, or he could not say for certain. He also pointed out that was likely a business decision as he was the highest paid punter. And, if my memory isn't faltering, I think the Vikes offered him to stay with a paycut and he declined. I'm thinking that was discussed in the interview too.

Now, today, Kluwe comes out with this crap, which is completely opposite of his answer. The dude is a total f'ing phony.

Chris Kluwe, former member of Minnesota Vikings, says he was cut due to views - ESPN

According to Kluwe's piece, which was posted Thursday and titled "I was an NFL player until I was fired by two cowards and a bigot," Priefer criticized the punter throughout the 2012 season for his support of same-sex marriage, allegedly saying in a November team meeting that "we should round up all the gays, send them to an island and nuke it until it glows."

He was a mediocre punter who got replaced by someone younger, cheaper, and with a higher athletic ceiling. Teams are always looking to improve. He had a nice run. He would probably still be playing somewhere if he wasn't so outspoken. Nobody wants a media circus and organizations are probably very leery of him especially now that he has thrown his former coaches under the bus. He burned his own bridges. I suppose he can run for political office somewhere if he wants to change the world.

He was a mediocre punter who got replaced by someone younger, cheaper, and with a higher athletic ceiling. Teams are always looking to improve. He had a nice run. He would probably still be playing somewhere if he wasn't so outspoken. Nobody wants a media circus and organizations are probably very leery of him especially now that he has thrown his former coaches under the bus. He burned his own bridges. I suppose he can run for political office somewhere if he wants to change the world.

That's simply not true. Kluwe has led the league in yard per punt and net yards per punt; even multiple times, I think. And his 45 yards per punt in 2012 was even above his 44.6 yards per punt career average.

Apparently, the Raiders cut him in preseason before the season started. Now whether that's because he's an asshole or he had performance issues, I don't know. My guess would be the former.

And that should be a cautionary lesson to everyone. Don't be a polarizing force if it's going to cost you your damn job. That said, I at least had a modicum of respect for Kluwe's outspoken nature before. But I have no respect for a guy who tells one story one day and is throwing out career jeopardizing accusations the next day. It's total F'ING BS.

I don't believe that best numbers in Viking history translates to mediocre.

He'll be fine. Football is not the only ability he has.

Yea, he's good at guitar hero too..... Actually, he plays bass; but I don't know how far he'll go with that. Either way, he's made more than enough money.

Had he just shut up though, and stopped being a drama queen, he would have likely landed with a team next year though. Now, I don't know what coaches/gms we'll want to take on his potential drama. Blackballing is a reality in sports. It's how Barry Bonds career ended.

CW: The NFL has become such a corporate mindset. They want to make sure there's no distractions anywhere, ever. In the ideal NFL world, you show up to play on Sundays, and that's it -- they take you out of your box and put you back in. Until we get past the idea that money is the overwhelming influence and you can't live your life at the same time, people will view activism as a distraction.

The guy's an f'ing moron who doesn't get who signs his paychecks.

If the punter is good, he will have a job, if he learns to shut his mouth.

Jay Cutler left Denver, refused to talk to management (Mike Turico went ballistic: "You answer the boss if he phones you," to which I answered, "Not if the boss is lying to your face, you don't, and you have the power to make business knuckle." The boss did, Cutler had, and he has signed a 7-year contract with at least 50mm dollars guaranteed.

Kluwe does not have that business leverage: he needs to be quiet.

If the punter is good, he will have a job, if he learns to shut his mouth.

Jay Cutler left Denver, refused to talk to management (Mike Turico went ballistic: "You answer the boss if he phones you," to which I answered, "Not if the boss is lying to your face, you don't, and you have the power to make business knuckle." The boss did, Cutler had, and he has signed a 7-year contract with at least 50mm dollars guaranteed.

Kluwe does not have that business leverage: he needs to be quiet.

If you're the best punter, you have some leverage. So, Kluwe must be a total prick to be getting blackballed. That, or he pissed off total pricks. The former seems to be true for sure.

Or possibly his accusations are true and he's only speaking out now because Priefer is the in-house front runner for the head coaching job and he feels very strongly that that's a bad mistake for the team to make.

Kluwe knows that this will effectively end his NFL career, talent remaining or not. He said so in his Deadspin article.

The Vikings have already hired people to investigate the allegations though, so we'll probably have a better answer once that concludes.

Or possibly his accusations are true and he's only speaking out now because Priefer is the in-house front runner for the head coaching job and he feels very strongly that that's a bad mistake for the team to make.

Kluwe knows that this will effectively end his NFL career, talent remaining or not. He said so in his Deadspin article.

The Vikings have already hired people to investigate the allegations though, so we'll probably have a better answer once that concludes.

The Vikings had known about Kluwe's lifestyle and activism for many years prior. So, what changed? 1. His salary became higher and higher. 2. He became more of a belligerent, pernicious personality, imo (a diva).

I doubt his lifestyle suddenly became an issue. Furthermore, Kluwe totally denied that such discriminatorial occurrences had previously occurred. He's a liar either way.

Forum List

Back