Chris Christie comparable to Bill Clinton?

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Somebody from Jersey - read this article and give feedback, please. I don't know enough about the man to say if he is all that.

The Star-Ledger endorsement: Christie for governor | NJ.com

Gov. Chris Christie is the most remarkable political talent America has seen since Bill Clinton. If you haven’t witnessed his performance at a town hall meeting yet, make a point of it. You will come away convinced there is a sensible middle ground in America after all.

Equally impressive is his skill at playing Trenton’s inside game. Faced with Democrats in solid control of the Legislature, he’s managed to split them down the middle by seducing a handful of pliant party bosses whose self-interest compelled them to hitch their wagons to his.

Okay, I like the sound of that. I don't know yet if he will run for President, but "middle ground" gives me a happy case of the warm fuzzies.

But essentially, they go on to say that he sucks, squared, but Barabara sucks worse so they are backing him. Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot?

I don't get it. They start off by comparing him to Bill Clinton, which IMO is a HUGE honor - and then cut his legs off at the knees.

His ego is entertaining, but it’s done damage as well. By removing two qualified justices from the Supreme Court without good cause, he threatened the independence of judges at all levels, and provoked a partisan stalemate that has left two vacant seats on the high court. This was a power grab gone wrong.

The public gives him top marks for his handling of Sandy, but the record is mixed. Why would his administration park NJ Transit trains in a low-lying area where they flooded, causing $120 million in damage? Why did the federal government have to strong-arm the state to include more relief for renters and Spanish-speakers than Christie had proposed? And why should anyone believe taxpayers got the best price on refuse removal when the governor awarded a no-bid contract through a political friend?

Our own view is that Christie is overrated. His spin is way ahead of his substance.

So. What is your take on Christie? Would you want to see him get the nomination, 2016?

Remember when Christie first got elected and was charismatic and was kicking union butt? Remember when Republicans thought they might have someone with presidential ambitions? Remember how the libs on this site repeated endlessly how Christie was corrupt. How he was fat. How he was a union-hater and enemy of America? Now that he's dropped his drawers for Obama suddenly he's the number one guy for Democrats.
Amazing.

Somebody from Jersey - read this article and give feedback, please. I don't know enough about the man to say if he is all that.

Gov. Chris Christie is the most remarkable political talent America has seen since Bill Clinton. If you haven’t witnessed his performance at a town hall meeting yet, make a point of it. You will come away convinced there is a sensible middle ground in America after all.

Equally impressive is his skill at playing Trenton’s inside game. Faced with Democrats in solid control of the Legislature, he’s managed to split them down the middle by seducing a handful of pliant party bosses whose self-interest compelled them to hitch their wagons to his.

Okay, I like the sound of that. I don't know yet if he will run for President, but "middle ground" gives me a happy case of the warm fuzzies.

But essentially, they go on to say that he sucks, squared, but Barabara sucks worse so they are backing him. Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot?

I don't get it. They start off by comparing him to Bill Clinton, which IMO is a HUGE honor - and then cut his legs off at the knees.

His ego is entertaining, but it’s done damage as well. By removing two qualified justices from the Supreme Court without good cause, he threatened the independence of judges at all levels, and provoked a partisan stalemate that has left two vacant seats on the high court. This was a power grab gone wrong.

The public gives him top marks for his handling of Sandy, but the record is mixed. Why would his administration park NJ Transit trains in a low-lying area where they flooded, causing $120 million in damage? Why did the federal government have to strong-arm the state to include more relief for renters and Spanish-speakers than Christie had proposed? And why should anyone believe taxpayers got the best price on refuse removal when the governor awarded a no-bid contract through a political friend?

Our own view is that Christie is overrated. His spin is way ahead of his substance.

So. What is your take on Christie? Would you want to see him get the nomination, 2016?

I can see the comparison. Christie gets me mad sometimes the way panders to both sides. I am fairly moderate for a Dem but when I'm against them, I don't want to hear him finding a middle of the road stance. Bill Clinton was more committed to Democrats and Christie is more committed to Republicans.

I would love a race between Hillary and Christie though.

• Banned

I can see the comparison. Christie gets me mad sometimes the way panders to both sides. I am fairly moderate for a Dem but when I'm against them, I don't want to hear him finding a middle of the road stance. Bill Clinton was more committed to Democrats and Christie is more committed to Republicans.

But isn't that a way to attain compromise? Bring something to the table both sides can find acceptable?

I would love that race, too. There needs to BE a race, and so far everybody on the right is SO far right that they can't get the independent votes.

Chris Christie comparable to Bill Clinton?

I don't know?

Has Chris taken a plea bargain for breaking the law and/or cheated on his wife?

Last edited:

But isn't that a way to attain compromise? Bring something to the table both sides can find acceptable?

I would love that race, too. There needs to BE a race, and so far everybody on the right is SO far right that they can't get the independent votes.

Of course that's the way to compromise but I don't always want that to happen.

Chris Christie is going to spend the next couple of years cringing every time a Democrat of any kind tosses him a compliment. It will be like thousands of bee stings tinged with teabagger poison. Every time he gets one....he'll have to decide whether or not accepting it will harm his primary chances.

He could win without those nutbags......but he'd need every moderate Republican to visit the polls for him. My guess is that won't happen unless he publicly denounces the baggers....and helps rid his party of them one idiot at a time.

Christie?

Nope..he won't get the nomination.

And he's no Bill Clinton. Christie's done Jersey no favors. He's balked on spending money for infrastructure and education. He's crushed Unions and cut taxes on the rich. He's defunded programs for the poor.

Even with all of that, he's not conservative enough for present day Republicans.

Sure is no Bill Clinton

Until the guy gets caught cheating on his wife or at least taking some kind of plea bargain
we cannot even look at him

Christie?

And he's no Bill Clinton. Christie's done Jersey no favors. He's balked on spending money for infrastructure and education. He's crushed Unions and cut taxes on the rich. He's defunded programs for the poor.

Even with all of that, he's not conservative enough for present day Republicans.

Tea baggers are Ron paul libertarian that hate all forms of government. WE better hope they don't win anything.

Christie?

Tea baggers are Ron paul libertarian that hate all forms of government. WE better hope they don't win anything.

Look for a purge of the Tea Party come 2014 from the House.

They really might lose it.

Forum List

Back