PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Illinois professor fired for doing his job
by Sheila Liaugminas | 13 Jul 2010
Illinois professor fired for doing his job

1. Freedom of speech is at the heart of it, as is the effort yet again to attack legitimate expression of belief, expressed…where? In a classroom setting that fosters intellecutal inquiry and critical thinking skills?

2. The University of Illinois has fired an adjunct professor who taught courses on Catholicism after a student accused the instructor of engaging in hate speech by saying he agrees with the church’s teaching that homosexual sex is immoral….

3. Fired for sending an e-mail explaining some Catholic beliefs to his students preparing for an exam.
“Natural Moral Law says that Morality must be a response to REALITY,” he wrote in the e-mail. “In other words, sexual acts are only appropriate for people who are complementary, not the same.”

4. An unidentified student complained, on behalf of an “offended” student, (not sure why the offended student didn’t speak for himself or herself…), that this was ‘hate speech.’
“Teaching a student about the tenets of a religion is one thing,” the student wrote. “Declaring that homosexual acts violate the natural laws of man is another.”

5. Compainant: "The courses at this institution should be geared to contribute to the public discourse and promote independent thought; not limit one’s worldview and ostracize people of a certain sexual orientation.”

By the guiding lights of those who cry ‘hate speech’ like this, public discourse and the engagement of independent thought is only welcomed if it agrees with their views.

6. Howell: “My responsibility on teaching a class on Catholicism is to teach what the Catholic Church teaches,” Howell said. “I have always made it very, very clear to my students they are never required to believe what I’m teaching and they’ll never be judged on that.”

Funny how "independent thought" always has to rigidly conform to leftist ideas to be acceptable, innit?

And even worse prognosis:

“…The fate of the modern university and the fate of Western civilization are inextricably intertwined.” Brigette Berger, “Multiculturalism and the Modern University,” from ‘The Politics of Political Correctness,’ in the Partisan Review (1993) pp. 516, 519

Funny how "independent thought" always has to rigidly conform to leftist ideas to be acceptable, innit?

“…The fate of the modern university and the fate of Western civilization are inextricably intertwined.” Brigette Berger, “Multiculturalism and the Modern University,” from ‘The Politics of Political Correctness,’ in the Partisan Review (1993) pp. 516, 519

I just find it sad that many ideas are drummed right out of college campuses. Its a huge disservice to the intellect of the college graduate.

We're fucked. :(

I just find it sad that many ideas are drummed right out of college campuses. Its a huge disservice to the intellect of the college graduate.
People aren't taught how to think...they're taught what to think.

The problem is rampant. Lots of links:

TaxProf Blog: Unsuccessful Iowa Legal Writing Faculty Candidate Appeals Dismissal of Suit Claiming Discrimination Due to Her Conservative Views

July 13, 2010

Unsuccessful Iowa Legal Writing Faculty Candidate Appeals Dismissal of Suit Claiming Discrimination Due to Her Conservative Views

Following up on my prior posts:

Unsuccessful Iowa Legal Writing Faculty Candidate Sues, Claiming Discrimination Due to Her Conservative Views (Jan. 29, 2009)
Judge Dismisses Claim by Unsuccessful Iowa Legal Writing Faculty Candidate Alleging Discrimination Due to Her Conservative Views (Apr. 2, 2010)​

Teresa R. Wagner, Associate Director of the University of Iowa College of Law Writing Resource Center, has appealed the dismissal of her lawsuit to the Eighth Circuit. The National Association of Scholars has posted a number of documents in the case in “They So Despise Her Politics” -- Do Conservative Faculty Candidates Get a Fair Shake?:

If you have time to look at just one document, we recommend the first one, which is a half-page internal memorandum from the law school’s associate dean, Jon Carlson.

Carlson expresses his puzzlement at the Faculty’s unwillingness to hire Wagner, even for a lesser position, and worries that this might have something to do with her political views:

Frankly, one thing that worries me is that some people may be opposed to Teresa serving in any role in part, at least, because they so despise her politics (and, especially, her activism about it). I hate to think that is the case, and I don’t actually think it is, but I’m worried that I may be missing something.​

That’s as close to a smoking gun as one is likely to find in the academic world.

While we're in this downer thread, let me pile on the bad news: since the Sixties, the universities have gone to...if I say 'pot,' is that too cute by half?

1. In too many college courses, examinations are minimized, grades inflated, and grading is based on ‘class participation.’ This is especially true in schools of education, where prospective teachers are thus allowed to avoid competition, and invest in educational faddishness in opposition to conventional (bourgeois) methods and standards. Robert H. Bork, “Slouching Toward Gomorrah,” ch. 7.

2. The National Association of Scholars (NAS) documented the changes in universities comparing the years 1914, 1939, 1964 and 1993.

a. Decline in required courses from 55% of courses, down to 33% by 1993. And even more telling, in 1914 no exemptions were allowed in 98% of the courses, but by 1993 it was only in 29%. This, of course produces students with a far narrower basis for understanding context.

b. In 1914, 57% of institutions had a literature requirement, by 1993 this was down to 14%. The same pattern appeared in philosophy, religion, social science, natural science, and mathematics.

c. The study found “diminishing rigor at most prestigious colleges…” Students graduating from these elite schools not only had fewer assignments to complete but were asked to do considerably less in completing them.” The NAS commented on how this drop off in hard work negatively influences character, and this effect on society’s leaders impacts the strength and vitality of society.

d. Decline of rigor can be seen, as well, in the number of days classes were in session, from 204 in 1914 to 156 in 1993, and the length of a class period fell by 10.2%.
The National Association of Scholars, “The Dissolution of General Education: 1914-1993” NAS - The National Association of Scholars :: Reports

3. Interesting as well, and an indication of correspondence, the NAS found the above trends accelerated from the Sixties on.

Interesting study here:
  • The overall ratio of Democrats to Republicans we were able to identify at the 32 schools was more than 10 to 1 (1397 Democrats, 134 Republicans).
  • Although in the nation at large registered Democrats and Republicans are roughly equal in number, not a single department at a single one of the 32 schools managed to achieve a reasonable parity between the two. The closest any school came to parity was Northwestern University where 80% of the faculty members we identified were registered Democrats who outnumbered registered Republicans by a ratio of 4-1.
  • At other schools we found these representations of registered faculty Democrats to Republicans:

• Brown 30-1
    Bowdoin, Wellesley 23-1
    Swarthmore 21-1
    Amherst, Bates 18-1
    Columbia, Yale 14-1
    Pennsylvania, Tufts, UCLA and Berkeley 12-1
    Smith 11-1
  • At no less than four elite schools we could not identify a single Republican on the faculty:
    Williams 51 Democrats, 0 Republicans
    Oberlin 19 Democrats, 0 Republicans
    MIT 17 Democrats, 0 Republicans
    Haverford 15 Democrats, 0 Republicans

Republicans Outnumbered in Academia, Studies Find

Academic leaders have resisted his group's legislative proposal, saying that discrimination is rare and already forbidden, and they dispute the accusations of faculty bias. Robert J. Birgeneau, the chancellor of Berkeley, said that he was not sure if the new study of his faculty accurately reflected the professors' political leanings, and that these leanings were irrelevant anyway.

"The essence of a great university is developing and sharing new knowledge as well as questioning old dogma," Dr. Birgeneau said. "We do this in an environment which prizes academic freedom and freedom of expression. These principles are respected by all of our faculty at U.C. Berkeley, no matter what their personal politics are."

I bet he actually believes this, too. :lol:

The problem is rampant. Lots of links:

TaxProf Blog: Unsuccessful Iowa Legal Writing Faculty Candidate Appeals Dismissal of Suit Claiming Discrimination Due to Her Conservative Views

July 13, 2010

Unsuccessful Iowa Legal Writing Faculty Candidate Appeals Dismissal of Suit Claiming Discrimination Due to Her Conservative Views

Following up on my prior posts:

Unsuccessful Iowa Legal Writing Faculty Candidate Sues, Claiming Discrimination Due to Her Conservative Views (Jan. 29, 2009)
Judge Dismisses Claim by Unsuccessful Iowa Legal Writing Faculty Candidate Alleging Discrimination Due to Her Conservative Views (Apr. 2, 2010)​

Teresa R. Wagner, Associate Director of the University of Iowa College of Law Writing Resource Center, has appealed the dismissal of her lawsuit to the Eighth Circuit. The National Association of Scholars has posted a number of documents in the case in “They So Despise Her Politics” -- Do Conservative Faculty Candidates Get a Fair Shake?:

If you have time to look at just one document, we recommend the first one, which is a half-page internal memorandum from the law school’s associate dean, Jon Carlson.

Carlson expresses his puzzlement at the Faculty’s unwillingness to hire Wagner, even for a lesser position, and worries that this might have something to do with her political views:

Frankly, one thing that worries me is that some people may be opposed to Teresa serving in any role in part, at least, because they so despise her politics (and, especially, her activism about it). I hate to think that is the case, and I don’t actually think it is, but I’m worried that I may be missing something.​

That’s as close to a smoking gun as one is likely to find in the academic world.

And there are so many cases where students are intimidated, as well...I think it was Frontpage magazine...

And this:

"PC is, above all, a climate of opinion, a complex of social and institutional pressures and threats, beliefs and taboos which have come to dominate the campuses and academic public discourse over the past quarter century…

There are at least five areas to which PC applies and where it succeeded in imposing a fair amount of conformity. They are: 1) race-minority relations; 2) sexual and gender relations: 3) homosexuality; 4) American society as a whole; 5) Western culture and values. In regard to each, PC prescribes publicly acceptable opinions and attitudes which are often conveyed on the campuses by required courses, freshman orientation, sensitivity training, memoranda by administrators, speech codes, harassment codes, official and student publications and other means.

Deviations from the norm of PC may result in public abuse, ostracism, formal or informal sanctions, administrative reproach, delayed promotion, difficulty in finding a job, being sentenced to sensitivity training. "

Paul Hollander, “Political correctness is alive and well on campus near you,” Washington Post, December 28, 1993, p. A19

No doubt, academic inquiry flourishes under such a regimen…not.

If Republicans don't want to be outnumbered in Academia then maybe more should go into Academia in the first place? :cuckoo:

Complaining about the lack of Republicans when they don't even bother to go into the field as compared to the number of Democrats is ridiculous.

What's even more ridiculous is the OP making yet another thread where all of a single group are lumped together into one. Of course, one college supposedly represents every single one in America? :cuckoo:

Interesting study here:
  • The overall ratio of Democrats to Republicans we were able to identify at the 32 schools was more than 10 to 1 (1397 Democrats, 134 Republicans).
  • Although in the nation at large registered Democrats and Republicans are roughly equal in number, not a single department at a single one of the 32 schools managed to achieve a reasonable parity between the two. The closest any school came to parity was Northwestern University where 80% of the faculty members we identified were registered Democrats who outnumbered registered Republicans by a ratio of 4-1.
  • At other schools we found these representations of registered faculty Democrats to Republicans:

• Brown 30-1
    Bowdoin, Wellesley 23-1
    Swarthmore 21-1
    Amherst, Bates 18-1
    Columbia, Yale 14-1
    Smith 11-1
  • At no less than four elite schools we could not identify a single Republican on the faculty:

Keep bitching. :thup:

Interesting study here:

• Brown 30-1
    Bowdoin, Wellesley 23-1
    Swarthmore 21-1
    Amherst, Bates 18-1
    Columbia, Yale 14-1
    Smith 11-1

Keep bitching. :thup:

When one is burdened with the limited understanding of democracy, liberty, and the meaning of freedom as it applies to not only going where one wants, but thinking and saying what one wants, then your reponse might seem reasonable.

Of course, there is the possibility that an actual education might change that.

Maybe not.

When one is burdened with the limited understanding of democracy, liberty, and the meaning of freedom as it applies to not only going where one wants, but thinking and saying what one wants, then your reponse might seem reasonable.

Of course, there is the possibility that an actual education might change that.

Maybe not.

Give me a break. I don't have a limited understanding of any of those things. I have a full understanding. You're the one who would be defenseless in a debate that doesn't involve the internet. You can't copy and paste someone else's words on the internet into your brain yet there PC. :thup:

If Republicans don't want to be outnumbered in Academia then maybe more should go into Academia in the first place? :cuckoo:

Complaining about the lack of Republicans when they don't even bother to go into the field as compared to the number of Democrats is ridiculous.

What's even more ridiculous is the OP making yet another thread where all of a single group are lumped together into one. Of course, one college supposedly represents every single one in America? :cuckoo:
What makes you think they'd get hired?

Some non-Democrats prefer to attribute the imbalance to the structure of academia, which allows hiring decisions and research agendas to be determined by small, independent groups of scholars. These fiefs, the critics say, suffer from a problem described in The Federalist Papers: an autonomous "small republic" is prone to be dominated by a cohesive faction that uses majority voting to "outnumber and oppress the rest," in Madison's words.

"our colleges have become less marketplaces of ideas than churches in which you have to be a true believer to get a seat in the pews," said Stephen H. Balch, a Republican and the president of the National Association of Scholars. "We've drifted to a secular version of 19th-century denominational colleges, in which the university's mission is to crusade against sin and make the country a morally better place."

--

The ratio of Democratic to Republican professors ranged from 3 to 1 among economists to 30 to 1 among anthropologists. The researchers found a much higher share of Republicans among the nonacademic members of the scholars' associations, which Professor Klein said belied the notion that nonleftists were uninterested in scholarly careers.

"Screened out, expelled or self-sorted, they tend to land outside of academia because the crucial decisions - awarding tenure and promotions, choosing which papers get published - are made by colleagues hostile to their political views," said Professor Klein, who classifies himself as a libertarian.

Martin Trow, an emeritus professor of public policy at Berkeley who was chairman of the faculty senate and director of the Center for Studies in Higher Education, said that professors tried not to discriminate in hiring based on politics, but that their perspective could be warped because so many colleagues shared their ideology.

"Their view comes to be seen not as a political preference but what decent, intelligent human beings believe," said Dr. Trow, who calls himself a conservative. "Debate is stifled, and conservatives either go in the closet or get to be seen as slightly kooky. So if a committee is trying to decide between three well-qualified candidates, it may exclude the conservative because he seems like someone who has poor judgment."

To what did a Democrat ascribe the imbalance?
One theory for the scarcity of Republican professors is that conservatives are simply not that interested in academic careers. A Democrat on the Berkeley faculty, George P. Lakoff, who teaches linguistics and is the author of "Moral Politics: How Liberals and Conservatives Think," said that liberals choose academic fields that fit their world views. "Unlike conservatives," he said, "they believe in working for the public good and social justice, as well as knowledge and art for their own sake, which are what the humanities and social sciences are about."
Leftist talking points and bigotry.

I don't think this represents anything other than the probablility that the world of academia is more attractive to those who are of a Liberal mind set. Once established there in, it is conducive to a process orientated method of acting.

In the "real world", process is important, but is important only as it affects results. You may "feel" really, really good about the way the day has gone, but if you made no money, you're out of business. In academia, results don't matter. If everybody sings Kum Baya at the end, it's all good.

Forum List

Back