"Chink in the armor"

Is it racist?

• racsit

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • not racist

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • What butthurt corn hole thought that was racist and made it headline news?!

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Nice to know that some people didn't even notice it.

Votes: 5 13.2%

• Total voters
In fact the fact that the writer used to to an asian person means he didn't even think about the racial slur.

There is no way you could really be this stupid, so stop trying so hard.

Yeah, anyone disagreeing with you on this matter must be just stupid, lol

Whatever, dude.

NO, anyone who thinks that using a racial slur is proof that no racial slur was intended MUST BE STUPID. That sure as hell seems to define YOU.

Or third possibility: the writer innocently did not consider that someone would think he was refering to oriental people because the writer himself never thinks of the word 'chink' as a reference to oriental people?

Were you trying to make a joke with that post?

You know, contrary to liberal dogma, there are a lot of people who are innocent of being racists, you know?

In this case, I think it was a stupid attempt at a joke, but the third possibility is always there.

Before I moved to the East Coast I had no idea that 'mic' was a reference to Jewish people.

Where does that derive from? Makes no sense.

I'm pretty sure Mic is a reference to the Irish.

In fact the fact that the writer used to to an asian person means he didn't even think about the racial slur.

Let me ask you this: if the same exact article was written about Carmelo Anthony-would you call it racist? No you wouldn't. Why? Because Carmelo Anthony's not asian. In other words: the title can only be perceived as racist if it's written about an asian person.

So should a writer look at every single person they write about in terms of race, and try to go out of their way to be racially sensitive? I could see how some people who catch it as a racist title-but let's be honest. "Chink in the armor" IS a commonly used term. And the only thing that can be perceived as racist about it is that the article was about Jeremy Lin. "Chink" in the context that it was used in was not a racial slur-get over it.

The ironic thing is people who're so quick to point out racists (even those who aren't really racist, diluting your claims)-wonder how we can ever get over racism and race? Honestly you just don't get it.

Were you trying to make a joke with that post?

You know, contrary to liberal dogma, there are a lot of people who are innocent of being racists, you know?

In this case, I think it was a stupid attempt at a joke, but the third possibility is always there.

Before I moved to the East Coast I had no idea that 'mic' was a reference to Jewish people.

Where does that derive from? Makes no sense.

I'm pretty sure Mic is a reference to the Irish.

def. is

Let me ask you this: if the same exact article was written about Carmelo Anthony-would you call it racist? No you wouldn't. Why? Because Carmelo Anthony's not asian. In other words: the title can only be perceived as racist if it's written about an asian person.

So should a writer look at every single person they write about in terms of race, and try to go out of their way to be racially sensitive? I could see how some people who catch it as a racist title-but let's be honest. "Chink in the armor" IS a commonly used term. And the only thing that can be perceived as racist about it is that the article was about Jeremy Lin. "Chink" in the context that it was used in was not a racial slur-get over it.

The ironic thing is people who're so quick to point out racists (even those who aren't really racist, diluting your claims)-wonder how we can ever get over racism and race? Honestly you just don't get it.

Ok, I guess you really ARE this stupid. The expression was used in the headline because Lin is Chinese-American, you fucking moron.

Ok, I guess you really ARE this stupid. The expression was used in the headline because Lin is Chinese-American, you fucking moron.

-This guy was a writer when Yao Ming was playing-find me ONE article of him that's racist against Ming. If it was racist-then I'm sure that would be no problem right?

-The anchor who was suspended is married to an asian woman-do you think when he used the term "chink in the armor he was being racist"?

-Prove that the only reason why the headline about the KICKS (not Lin) was used just because Lin's asian.

-Even Lin is giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Jeremy Lin headline slur was

Quotes:

-Battling to contain a furor, the sports network fired Federico and suspended anchor Max Bretos for 30 days because it turned out he had used the same expression on the air last week. ESPN offered profuse mea culpas and promised to be "better in the future."

-"My wife is Asian, would never intentionally say anything to disrespect her and that community," Bretos wrote. "Despite intention, phrase was inappropriate in this context."

-Federico, 28, said he understands why he was axed. "ESPN did what they had to do," he said. He said he has used the phrase "at least 100 times" in headlines over the years and thought nothing of it when he slapped it on the Lin story. Federico called Lin one of his heroes - not just because he's a big Knicks fan, but because he feels a kinship with a fellow "outspoken Christian."

-"They've apologized, and so from my end, I don't care anymore," Lin said. "You have to learn to forgive, and I don't even think that was intentional."

Maybe your problem is that you're overly sensitive to this type of thing. Racism exists and I detest it. But lighten up a bit-not everything is racist. Sometimes things don't come off the way that they're intended. If you've never the term "chink in the armor" applied to any non-asian athlete than you don't follow sports, or have been living under a rock for your whole life.

Then again you could just be ignorant (which is ironic as essentially that's what you're accusing me of being).

After all you did think that "Mic" applied to Jews, and not the Irish. You're so quick to react to slurs you don't even know what they mean! LOL

Last edited:
-This guy was a writer when Yao Ming was playing-find me ONE article of him that's racist against Ming. If it was racist-then I'm sure that would be no problem right?

-The anchor who was suspended is married to an asian woman-do you think when he used the term "chink in the armor he was being racist"?

-Prove that the only reason why the headline about the KICKS (not Lin) was used just because Lin's asian.

You are not only stupid, not only an apologist (I wonder why?), but you are painfully illogical. You are probably incapable of even recognizing why the statements above are utterly illogical.

chink:

A narrow opening, such as a crack or fissure.

Chink in the Armor
An narrow opening and vunerable area in one's armor that the opponent will usually aim for. This term relies on "chink" in the sense of "a crack or gap," a meaning dating from about 1400 and used figuratively since the mid-1600s.

You are not only stupid, not only an apologist (I wonder why?), but you are painfully illogical. You are probably incapable of even recognizing why the statements above are utterly illogical.

This is what people say when they have nothing to bring to the conversation. They resort to personal attacks, ignore the details in the post of others, and address the post as a whole-that way they don't have to address specific issues.

What about my statements are illogical? Address specific details.

And what do you mean by you "wonder why"? Do you even know what race I am? Do you even know what race(s) my family consists of? Probably not.

I'm anything but an apologist-and racism drives is my biggest pet peeve. I've spoken out against racism of all races on USMB-and I can link you to those posts if you wish. You have a lot to learn about stereotyping people based on one view on one specific incident.

This is what people say when they have nothing to bring to the conversation. .

It's what people say when faced with a stupid, illogical apologist.

Forum List

Back