Chinese court upholds death penalty for Canadian prisoner Robert Schellenberg

I am recognizing that China is an independent country with its own laws no matter how good or reprehensible those laws may be. If China is a terrible country that mistreats its citizens that brings no justification to breaking their laws.

Again, the man did not get the death penalty for smuggling drugs. He only got 15 years for that.
Yes, but you think the bigger problem is a guy with some drugs, rather then him being murdered by China.

Yes, but you think the bigger problem is a guy with some drugs, rather then him being murdered by China.
You will not do anything to China. No one will. This is a lesson to one and all. Unless you are ready to be railroaded to the death penalty, don't go to China. The biggest problem is that this guy went to China and expected Canadian style justice.

Not true

south korea has civil rights equal to Japan or Taiwan

And Singspore

South Korea can be very problematic to be honest. Singapore in general is very good, especially if you have money and are a member of the Raffles Club, which I am, however, their justice system in many ways is quite corrupt. If you have no money, you ARE a target.

You will not do anything to China. No one will. This is a lesson to one and all. Unless you are ready to be railroaded to the death penalty, don't go to China. The biggest problem is that this guy went to China and expected Canadian style justice.
I wont do anything to China OR this guy, but thats irrelevent. China is the real bad guy here is all im saying.

Problematic how?

If you are accosted by a Korean, and you defend yourself, in almost every case the law enforcement is going to take the side of the Korean. Well over 95%. There is virtually no justice for travelers in South Korea if you find yourself on the wrong end of an argument.

you are accosted by a Korean, and you defend yourself, in almost every case the law enforcement is going to take the side of the Korean. Well over 95%. There is virtually no justice for travelers in South Korea if you find yourself on the wrong end of an argument.
Thats just not true

I cant say what happens if you are drunk in the red light district making as ass of yourself

but normal people minding their own business the chance of getting picked on by the cops is nil

Thats just not true

I cant say what happens if you are drunk in the red light district making as ass of yourself

but normal people minding their own business the chance of getting picked on by the cops is nil

Any anglo, walking around, if attacked by a South Korean having a bad day, who defends themselves, will find the police taking the other guys side. Pretty much always.
Thankfully most South Koreans are pretty decent folks, but it does happen from time to time. And NOT in the red light districts.

Schellenberg either received some really bad legal advice, was railroaded to appeal, or, was too naive.

Such a gentle, honourable people the CCP are. "Dare to appeal the 15 year sentence!? Ok, we give you death now!" The types to torture an animal and then kill it if it fights back.

Canada has no pull after decades of submissive behaviour by so many unimpressive people. I've repeated it over and over, you must NOT walk lightly with them. You make them lose face. You call them out. You point at them, challenge them and expose them. You insult them if you must. Blinkens team did just that, and as much as China tried to put on a strong face but they were rattled at the meeting and days after.

If only the U.S and others would continue it. You can be sure you will always have an ally of the most headstrong people, be it someone like myself or someone in India, Japan or US of A.

Canada believes that quiet diplomacy is the best approach. It's a fools game when dealing with dictators. If you don't punish the power structure, which is their economy, you are going to be bent over a barrel every time.

Sadly, Canadian police and our political structure enjoy persecuting people like me in Canada. It's easy to bully citizens, that's not bravery, it's cowardice. When it comes to REALLY fight for something, they watch as our citizens are hung out to dry.

it's disgusting, but also Canadas future. Yes, if he is guilty and knowlingly did this, he knew the possible outcome. That's on him if true. However, this is becoming part and parcel of being Canadian in the world today it seems.

Pray for Robert and the two Michaels. If I were in power, I'd bring a facelift to the domestic civil liberties in our Canadian system and a drastically different methodology of dealing with foreign bullies.

A Chinese court on Tuesday rejected Canadian Robert Schellenberg's appeal against a death sentence for drug smuggling.

Schellenberg was detained by Chinese authorities in December 2014, charged with drug smuggling in January 2015, and sentenced to 15 years in prison in 2018.

In 2019, the Dalian Intermediate People's Court in China's Liaoning province retried Schellenberg, who had appealed his original sentence, and decided on execution.

A verdict for fellow Canadian Michael Spavor, who has been detained by China since late 2018 on suspicion of espionage, is expected to be announced later this week, possibly as soon as tomorrow.

Spavor was detained by Chinese authorities on Dec. 10, 2018 — nine days after Meng Wanzhou, the chief financial officer of Huawei Technologies — was arrested while changing planes in Vancouver.
The nations who are most submissive will get the best rickshaw concessions when china rules the world

If this man, sentenced to death in China for drug smuggling, is important to Canada, why not make a deal? Pay them off, trade some person held in Canada. In the case of the Apostle Paul, the Roman Army rescued Him from the Edomite self professed Jews itching to kill HIm. They even sent Him to Rome at His request, where He was given quite a bit of freedom. Later, He got His head chopped off because the Edomites in Rome figured out what He was doing. But it was too late.

The nations who are most submissive will get the best rickshaw concessions when china rules the world
Just wait till the stupid Taliban politician's figure out how screwed they are. I can't wait to see them try a bombing in Beijing....lol.... China will retaliate by eliminating one village for every Chinese casualty.

Any country that administers the death penalty is wrong.
Schellenberg will be used as a bargaining chip by China.
It may be very hard for Canada to get sympathy for a drug dealer, but there's little chance the sentence will be carried out.

If this man, sentenced to death in China for drug smuggling, is important to Canada, why not make a deal? Pay them off, trade some person held in Canada.
You're much more in tune with reality on this issue than you are with your silly ideas of the Tropic of Cancer moving hundreds of miles.
Did the hobbits allow Capricorn and the Equator to skip town too?

Forum List

Back