Chinatown Dim Sum

alan1

Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Shoveling the ashes
So, I was telling a friend that me and the kids are going to CA in a few weeks. We will probably spend a day in San Francisco. I really want to go to Chinatown for lunch. I told my friend about eating in Chinatown once before and it made me laugh to revisit it in my mind, so I thought I'd share it here.

Chinatown in SF has some Dim Sum places that are pretty unique. No menus and almost nobody that speaks English, and that's exactly the type of place we were in. They have waitresses that walk around with small plates of food and if you see or smell something that looks good you ask them for it and they put it on the table.
We got a plate of something that just smelled wonderful and tasted great, but the waitress didn't speak any English so we didn't know what we were eating.
We flagged down another waitress that spoke some English and asked her what it was. She said "Dock Tong". Hmm, seems the translation wasn't working so well for us. We asked again and got the same response, "Dock Tong". We kept asking and she kept telling us. Eventually, the waitress said "Quack, quack", then pointed at her tongue, "Dock Tong". And good duck tongue it was.
I can't wait to go to chinatown for lunch again.

I've always been leary of these "surprise packages". One bite and there goes $3.98 down the drain.

Regarding Oriental dialect, my brother in law ordered a Rum and Coke and the waiter replied "Lum and Coke". No- "Rum and Coke". Lum and Coke. This went back and forth until I butted in "Ok yeah- Lum and Coke". It was hilarious.

damn i love dim sum and sushi...great place in sf....has sushi in little boats that go around ...loaded with sushi...you pick out the plates and are charged by plates you have at the end...i had a stack of plates...

o hell there is a place in charlotte that has ducks feet...i assure you...it is as bad as you would think

I love Vietnamese Pho Bo soup. You never REALLY know what's in that either - other than noodles.

if it is bo, it is beef. ga is chicken. nuong is pork, but i never ate pho nuong. or pho vit (which is duck). or pho ech (frog). but i would. right now, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I love Vietnamese Pho Bo soup. You never REALLY know what's in that either - other than noodles.

if it is bo, it is beef. ga is chicken. nuong is pork, but i never ate pho nuong. or pho vit (which is duck). or pho ech (frog). but i would. right now, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Yes, I know. I usually get beef - or boiled mystery meat, tripe and a hard boiled egg for good meaure. :lol:

Forum List

Back