China's premier 'declares war' on pollution

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

Chinese Premier Li Keqiang on Wednesday said he is "declaring war" on pollution, describing it as a "red-light warning" against inefficiency as he sought to address public concerns on issues from acrid smog to food safety.

China's three decades of rapid industrialisation and urbanisation have transformed its economy, and seen incomes soar.

But they have also brought severe environmental consequences, with the public enraged by cities regularly blanketed in smog, and incidents such as thousands of dead pigs in Shanghai's main river.

In his speech to the National People's Congress, China's legislature, Li described the deterioration of the environment as "nature's red-light warning against the model of inefficient and blind development".

"We will declare war against pollution and fight it with the same determination we battled poverty," said the premier, who took office in March last year.

About freaking time China starts to regulate!

Sweet! If it works out like our war on drugs they'll have more pollution than they started with, and a side effect of the largest crony agency on it like we have with the prison industry!

War! War! War!

There is a level of irony associated with a war on pollution that I certainly did not think you would grasp, Matthew. I'll give you a hint - war is the ultimate and most environmentally destructive human action we have to date.

What a stupid thread.......he'll step on a cigarette and take a bow.:D

Like Ive said before......weve got a lot of board members that should be lining up for this buy >>>

This will be the equivalent of pouring a case of bottled water into Love Canal!!:2up::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

• Banned

Like Ive said before......weve got a lot of board members that should be lining up for this buy >>>

This will be the equivalent of pouring a case of bottled water into Love Canal!!:2up::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

I see you don't have any of the history of pollution throughout the west...Let alone about how bad it is in China. Corporations do need to be regulated and fined for destroying the environment.

Do you like drinking shit and breathing sot...?

I see you don't have any of the history of pollution throughout the west...Let alone about how bad it is in China. Corporations do need to be regulated and fined for destroying the environment.

s0n.....just pointing out that you trust anything and everything anybody says if it is agreeable to you.
If you really think the Chinese are going to spend significant resources to curb pollution, you're more beyond gone than I originally thought.
s0n.....I hope to God you're never put in charge of anything.:scared1:

Still you're not the most naïve on the board.......I see CHRIS still lingers on this board........you get the silver medal.

Last edited:

s0n.....just pointing out that you trust anything and everything anybody says if it is agreeable to you.
If you really think the Chinese are going to spend significant resources to curb pollution, you're more beyond gone than I originally thought.
s0n.....I hope to God you're never put in charge of anything.:scared1:

LOL,

I am just hoping they start giving a damn about their population. I have far more sense then you will ever have to wish for better. Certainly not expecting anything.

In a society where intellectual development is valued, and, given that China is graduating far more engineers than we are, it is such a society, the people will not be simply ciphers that accept anything the government deems they should. I fully expect the Chinese to start cracking down on the polluting generating plants and factories.

Chinese Premier Li Keqiang on Wednesday said he is "declaring war" on pollution, describing it as a "red-light warning" against inefficiency as he sought to address public concerns on issues from acrid smog to food safety.

China's three decades of rapid industrialisation and urbanisation have transformed its economy, and seen incomes soar.

But they have also brought severe environmental consequences, with the public enraged by cities regularly blanketed in smog, and incidents such as thousands of dead pigs in Shanghai's main river.

In his speech to the National People's Congress, China's legislature, Li described the deterioration of the environment as "nature's red-light warning against the model of inefficient and blind development".

"We will declare war against pollution and fight it with the same determination we battled poverty," said the premier, who took office in March last year.

About freaking time China starts to regulate!

Now you can look for China to buy every bit of natural gas that comes out of the ground to replace the coal they currently use. Getcher checkbooks ready! :badgrin:

Forum List

Back