China corners the market on rare earth metals.

Discussion in 'General Global Topics' started by uscitizen, Oct 20, 2010.

1. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    It seems that the USA outsourced both the mining and refinement/manufacturing that results in rare earth magnets. Used in everything from cellphones to Hybrid autos.
    China has cut of most if not all exports of the materials used to make rare earth magnets.
    Toyota cannot make hybrid autos without the materials....

Experts say it will take us at minimum 3 years to gear back up our production/refinement, manufacturing to make rare earth magnets in the USA again.

Smooth move corporate exlax.

ps it was outsourced to save money.

2. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Umm people this is a pretty big thing.

3. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    Krugman wrote a piece about this. The Chinese are already using it as a political weapon. When Japanese coast guard boats found a Chinese trawler in their waters, and arrested the Captain..the Chinese stopped exports of rare earths until he was released.

4. loosecannon

loosecannon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +264
    It is a huge thing, allowing them to temporarily corner the market on alternative energy and numerous vital components.

Insiders say that China is leveraging it's monopoly to force manufacturers to relocate to China, securing for themselves vital manufacturing technology and proprietary secrets.

Meanwhile China steadfastly denies that any ban is in place.

I hope people wake up and realize how even a second rate world power such as China will be a bastard if they ever have real clout on the international stage.

Most acute is the way in Which China is targeting individual firms with their chicken tariffs and rare earth mineral boycots. Pressuring individual firms to cave in to whatever they demand and denying them the protection of a state response.

China may just be asserting, or pissed because everybody wants them to break their illegal dollar peg, but make no mistake, China is our enemy.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and bites like a duck, it is a duck.

I am onboard for a Neubarth boycott of Chinese goods. After I buy that super cheap leather love seat of course! And some miniblinds for the bathroom. And some machine tool accessories that cost a small fraction of US made alternatives.....And a new lithium ion cordless drill, and a Chevy Volt, and a new Iphone, and a strategic missile defense shield protecting precious Turkey and Israel from deadly Iranian weapons of mass deception.

5. Modbert

Modbert Daydream Believer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    It's a huge thing, but it's not a topic that involves "OMGZ! OBAMA! GLENN BECK!" so it's not going to get much attention.

I made threads about this not too long ago, in fact that got little attention. People will probably care more when things they care about go up in price.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/economy/134413-is-china-making-a-rare-earth-power-play.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/econo...-to-chinas-rare-earth-metal-stranglehold.html

6. Revere

Revere BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +415
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  7. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    This will likely blow up in China's face however in the long run. They may have won this small trade battle by cutting us off from rare earth metals, but it will everyone else including the U.S more leery of them going forward. U.S and China are suppose to be trying to get relations back on track this week from what I've read.

8. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    China is our biggest future enemy.

I believe someday we will fight a global war with China over resources.

9. Modbert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,962
    Wrong. The reason that the U.S and other countries have not had rare earth metal mines is not due to environmental concerns. It is due to the fact that the majority of other rare metal earth companies went out of business back when China flooded the market, essentially driving out the competition. It is a unfair fight considering how China has it's government backing while these mining companies in other countries have no help from their respective governments.

In fact, the whole reason why many potential businesses stayed out of the market was due to fears that China would reflood the market again like they did previously.

10. 2Parties

2Parties Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +123
    jumping off the gw bridge sorry