Too Young? Syrian Boy, 5, Engaged to Girl, 3

USAMomma

Jul 14, 2010

When most couples write out wedding gift lists, they typically ask for cutlery and dull domestic appliances. Ask Hala and her fiance Khalid what they'd like for their special day, though, and they'd probably tell you Lego bricks and a Tickle Me Elmo. That's because the newly betrothed Syrians are just 3 and 5 years old, respectively, according to Dubai's Gulf News.

Khalid's father Juma -- who lives in the city of Homs, some 100 miles north of Damascus -- told the paper that his son asked for his fellow kindergartner's hand in marriage "of his own free will," after a brief holiday romance. Both families are now reportedly preparing for the ceremony, which will take place in a decade, when Khalid is 15 and Hala 13. Such a ceremony would still be against Syrian law, which states the minimum age for marriage is 17 for women and 18 for men.
Too Young for Young Love? Syrian Boy Khalid, 5, Engaged to 3-Year-Old Girl Hala

Both families are now reportedly preparing for the ceremony, which will take place in a decade, when Khalid is 15 and Hala 13.

Ya know...when I first saw the topic...I thought there was going to be a story about a 5-year-old and a 3-year-old on their wedding night. Maybe even, with video?

I'm not all that disappointed, I must say.

Yes, I really must say that.

When most couples write out wedding gift lists, they typically ask for cutlery and dull domestic appliances. Ask Hala and her fiance Khalid what they'd like for their special day, though, and they'd probably tell you Lego bricks and a Tickle Me Elmo. That's because the newly betrothed Syrians are just 3 and 5 years old, respectively, according to Dubai's Gulf News.

Khalid's father Juma -- who lives in the city of Homs, some 100 miles north of Damascus -- told the paper that his son asked for his fellow kindergartner's hand in marriage "of his own free will," after a brief holiday romance. Both families are now reportedly preparing for the ceremony, which will take place in a decade, when Khalid is 15 and Hala 13. Such a ceremony would still be against Syrian law, which states the minimum age for marriage is 17 for women and 18 for men.

:lol:

Think of the new "bridal industry" that could be created.

I just had this bent thought about the *cough* young lovers first dance if they were getting married today.

It's a toss up between "Rubber Ducky you're the one" and "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and "It's a small world after all".

And then the gift registry could be at Toys R Us.

Preferred gifts crayons and coloring books and playdoh sp?

There's potential here for a struggling industry.

Last edited:

I'm no fan of arranged marriages, but they are not THAT out of the norm. What's your point here?

The Muslim prophet is a paedophile, so it is not surprising that Muslims are paedophilic to each other.

This is not that weird. It used to be common among european royalty even. They used to "engage" infants all the time.

Again normal would be actual marriage around 16-12.

On 16 May 1770, at the age of fifteen, Louis-Auguste married the fourteen-year-old Habsburg Archduchess Maria Antonia (better known by the French form of her name, Marie Antoinette), his second cousin once removed and the youngest daughter of the Holy Roman Emperor Francis I and his wife, the formidable Empress Maria Theresa.
This marriage was met with some hostility by the French public. France's alliance with Austria had pulled France into the disastrous Seven Years War, in which France was defeated by the British, both in Europe and in North America. By the time that Louis-Auguste and Marie-Antoinette were married, the people of France generally regarded the Austrian alliance with dislike, and Marie-Antoinette was seen as an unwelcome foreigner.[3] For the young couple, the marriage was initially amiable but distant — Louis-Auguste's shyness meant that he failed to consummate the union, much to his wife's distress, while his fear of being manipulated by her for Imperial purposes caused him to behave coldly towards her in public.[4] Over time, the couple became closer, and their marriage was reportedly consummated in July 1773.[5]

Forum List

Back