Children in poverty

A lot of what we do for the poor is being done for all society not just the poor. We give breakfast to poor kids in school, not out of kindness but because we know hungry kids don't do well in school. Free health clinics is as much about preventing the spread of disease as it is helping the sick. Job programs in impoverish areas are there to reduce crime and civil unrest. The cleanup of the London slums in the 18th and 19th century was spurred on by a fear of the spread of disease and civil unrest. If you want to make the world a better place, start by helping the poorest, not the wealthiest.

Last edited:
From JFK's inaugural address;

To those people in the huts and villages of half the globe struggling to break the bonds of mass misery, we pledge our best efforts to help them help themselves, for whatever period is required -- not because the Communists may be doing it, not because we seek their votes, but because it is right. If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.

And he wasn't even talking about us.

What are the chances of those living in "poverty" in the US starving as compared to those living in POVERTY in Africa?
I think that is what we have to ask. Most "poor" in this country are far healthier than the POOR in other countries.
That is what other posters have referenced.
This definition of "poverty" in the US is a joke.

To those people in the huts and villages of half the globe struggling to break the bonds of mass misery, we pledge our best efforts to help them help themselves, for whatever period is required -- not because the Communists may be doing it, not because we seek their votes, but because it is right. If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.

That went right over your pointy little head.

Help them help themselves, not do it for them.

They are hungry, but not as bad as the kids in Somalia, so that is OK? Amd you are awful familiar and insulting with your 'hon'.

Correct. They're not in Somalia. They shouldn't be going to bed hungry. Their parents shouldn't be deciding between paying electric, and feeding family.

This is America, ffs.

To all who have decided they went hungry, and it wasn't that big a deal - is that how you remember it? Because yeah, I know now that I got through it. But I didn't then. Then, it hurt. Going to bed hungry hurt, just like they said. When the man who married my mother found us, we were suffering from malnutrition. He used to take us to Burger King, buy us whoppers, ask us if we got enough to eat.

My mom used to claim that she either wasn't hungry or already ate, so there'd be enough food for my sister and I.

I'm talking 50 years ago. Fifty years, and I still remember going without.

What about your kids? Would you be okay with your kids going hungry? Living under somebody else's roof, or a family of five living in a rough neighborhood in a motel, or even in the van? Why the FUCK is that okay with you??

I don't understand you people. I truly don't. Take a stand, and don't budge, no matter how inhumane it makes you look.

Sounds like your parents sucked. Sorry about that.

My kids never went hungry because:

1. I didn't have kids until I could afford to support them
2. I prepared myself for a professional career
3. I make a damn good living because of (1) & (2)

There ya go BDPoop.
Most people that make good responsible choices in their lives have done so because that's how they were raised as children. Irresponsible parents produce irresponsible kids who become irresponsible parents. You break the cycle with social intervention and education.

How can anyone see this and not worry about what things are coming down to in America today.

Hunger & Poverty In America - YouTube

I gotta tell you hon,, these kids look the picture of health, you ever compare them to a hungry kid in Somalia? I know for a fact our society provides for two hot meals per day in school and for food stamps. Now don't you think the parents should so SOMETHING?
ANYTHING?

You should make that the bumper sticker for the Republican Party.

I think that pretty much sums up the Republican agenda for American children.

"They look good compared to kids in Somalia."

How about "Thankful for Living in America!"

What are the chances of those living in "poverty" in the US starving as compared to those living in POVERTY in Africa?
I think that is what we have to ask. Most "poor" in this country are far healthier than the POOR in other countries.

You just keep telling yourself that, toots.

That went right over your pointy little head.

Help them help themselves, not do it for them.

BD is not good with context, only taking words at face value. She's not smart enough for 'context'. :eusa_angel:

I'll go out on a limb and suggest you really haven't traveled much outside the US, right? Got a passport?

Anyone else notice how FAT two of these "Poor" people where?

Yeah, because the minute you stop eating, you lose weight. Amirite!?

Also. Are you completely aware that poor people generally gain weight because 'cheap' food is bad for you (i.e. Rahmen noodles, etc)?

Correct. They're not in Somalia. They shouldn't be going to bed hungry. Their parents shouldn't be deciding between paying electric, and feeding family.

This is America, ffs.

To all who have decided they went hungry, and it wasn't that big a deal - is that how you remember it? Because yeah, I know now that I got through it. But I didn't then. Then, it hurt. Going to bed hungry hurt, just like they said. When the man who married my mother found us, we were suffering from malnutrition. He used to take us to Burger King, buy us whoppers, ask us if we got enough to eat.

My mom used to claim that she either wasn't hungry or already ate, so there'd be enough food for my sister and I.

What about your kids? Would you be okay with your kids going hungry? Living under somebody else's roof, or a family of five living in a rough neighborhood in a motel, or even in the van? Why the FUCK is that okay with you??

I don't understand you people. I truly don't. Take a stand, and don't budge, no matter how inhumane it makes you look.

There ya go BDPoop.
Most people that make good responsible choices in their lives have done so because that's how they were raised as children. Irresponsible parents produce irresponsible kids who become irresponsible parents. You break the cycle with social intervention and education.

My grandparents were upper middle class. My mother was raised well, but at 18 she married a drunk and after that, things weren't so good for a time. She and her 2nd husband were only 22 and 23 when they married, so who would expect them to be "well off"?

Of course, my dad went on to make shit tons of money, but that has nothing to do with me and where I wound up.

You didn't watch the video, did you, asshole? The people living in the van were making a combined $40 an hour detailing cars.

God, what a moron.

Yeah, actually I did. You leftists fuckwits never address the causes of these situations.... you just whine and conjure up new ways to take more money form the majority of us who don't allow ourselves to be in these situations.

Y'know what? I don't believe a word you say. I don't believe you have a family, who would marry an inhumane ass such as yourself. I don't believe you have kids, a home, or anything worth having. I believe you will die, and soon; old, lonely and alone.

Sucks to be you.

The thing about it is that it's even uglier than it seems. Racism is at the heart of the hatred that animates the TP movement. Sometimes they're willing to admit it, sometimes not, but either way it's anger motivated by fear.

Anyone else notice how FAT two of these "Poor" people where?

Yeah, because the minute you stop eating, you lose weight. Amirite!?

Also. Are you completely aware that poor people generally gain weight because 'cheap' food is bad for you (i.e. Rahmen noodles, etc)?

When I stop eating, or at least cut back I loose weight. I can drop 15 pounds in one week by cutting back to just three meals a day.
I am tired of this "cheap food" crap. If you pay attention to what you are buying you can get nutritious food at low cost.

This is America, ffs.

There ya go BDPoop.

No, you punish kids for having bad parents. Otherwise, they'll just keep choosing to have bad parents.

The reason we have programs for the poor is not too keep our streets free of victims of starvation. That's not going to happen. You can survive on one meal a day. However, people that are hungry and constantly worried about where the next meal is coming from don't do a good job of parenting, interviewing for jobs, or much of anything else. Kids that go to school hungry don't learn. When you're hungry, it's difficult to concentrate on anything but food. Feeding the poor benefits all society, not just the poor.

Why wouldn't he tell himself that? It's true.

Hunger in this country is determined by whether or not people earn a certain income, or whether or not they qualify for foodstamps. It isn't about whether or not the kids are hungry.

We have convinced ourselves that we should NEVER be hungry. Hello obese nation. It is normal to be hungry in between meals, and healthy.

It's normal for children to go to bed hungry sometimes, too. I can remember going to bed hungry (or eating bread and butter) when I didn't like the meal that was being served. There was no BK or McD's to go do, there were no frozen pizzas. You ate what was served, or you went without, and sometimes we went without.

Hunger in this nation is not comparable to hunger in other nations. We do not have hunger here like it exists across the world....there are children occasionally who are malnourished because they have crappy parents who don't feed them, but that is not the norm, it is not common, and it is not a problem.

It will be a problem if we start drug testing food stamp recipients, though.

The reason we have programs for the poor is not too keep our streets free of victims of starvation. That's not going to happen. You can survive on one meal a day. However, people that are hungry and constantly worried about where the next meal is coming from don't do a good job of parenting, interviewing for jobs, or much of anything else. Kids that go to school hungry don't learn. When you're hungry, it's difficult to concentrate on anything but food. Feeding the poor benefits all society, not just the poor.

There's no such thing as hungry kids in school now. Breakfast and lunch are served at school, and they are for everybody. Often the kids are hungry at home, later, but that's just discomfort, not starvation.

I'm beginning to wonder if we'll be dealing with the diseases that accompany malnutrition again, here, in my lifetime.

No, because so far, malnutrition isn't a serious problem in this country.

We did see an increase in rickets, though, after the state insisted that whole milk was unhealthy for kids.

Forum List

Back