Children in poverty

How can anyone see this and not worry about what things are coming down to in America today.

Hunger & Poverty In America - YouTube

I gotta tell you hon,, these kids look the picture of health, you ever compare them to a hungry kid in Somalia? I know for a fact our society provides for two hot meals per day in school and for food stamps. Now don't you think the parents should so SOMETHING?
ANYTHING?

They are hungry, but not as bad as the kids in Somalia, so that is OK? Amd you are awful familiar and insulting with your 'hon'.

It was only a matter of time, liberals are acheving their goal of equality.

At first liberals thought they could bring the brown people up to civilized standards for equality, nope turns out we will have to bring white people down to achive equality.

We know who brought us to this lowly place. Bush and his compassionate conservatives have made America a third world country.

:lol::lol:

You are:

a. ignorant
b. stupid

Which?

It was only a matter of time, liberals are acheving their goal of equality.

At first liberals thought they could bring the brown people up to civilized standards for equality, nope turns out we will have to bring white people down to achive equality.

We know who brought us to this lowly place. Bush and his compassionate conservatives have made America a third world country.

:lol::lol:

You are:

a. ignorant
b. stupid

Which?

You forgot:

c. correct

In hard times it is the weak, the young and the very old members of the herd who are at greatest risk.

These are hard times, and these times seem to be getting harder.

The solution is obviously to put people to work, but the economic system we subscibe to does not really have any mechanisms to do that rationally.

WELFARE was the safety valve to negate the pernicious effects of a system that gives most of the economic pie to the ownership class and not to its peasant class.

Now the ownership class is not longer much interested in keeping a lid on things in America because the owership class is looking to the world economy for its peasants.

As this cancer of workless lower paying jobs poverty climbs up the socioeconomic ladder I think it reasonable to expect that this problem will only get worse...much worse.

Middle class people who worked their entire lives and who never expected to find themselves in trouble economically are finding themselves seriously wondering if they can make it.

Some of you folks seem sanguine about that.

Some of you imagine that your neighbors poverty isn't going effect you.

I submit that if your neighbors are growing poorer so too will your quality of life erode.

How can anyone see this and not worry about what things are coming down to in America today.

Hunger & Poverty In America - YouTube

I gotta tell you hon,, these kids look the picture of health, you ever compare them to a hungry kid in Somalia? I know for a fact our society provides for two hot meals per day in school and for food stamps. Now don't you think the parents should so SOMETHING?
ANYTHING?

They are hungry, but not as bad as the kids in Somalia, so that is OK? Amd you are awful familiar and insulting with your 'hon'.

Correct. They're not in Somalia. They shouldn't be going to bed hungry. Their parents shouldn't be deciding between paying electric, and feeding family.

This is America, ffs.

To all who have decided they went hungry, and it wasn't that big a deal - is that how you remember it? Because yeah, I know now that I got through it. But I didn't then. Then, it hurt. Going to bed hungry hurt, just like they said. When the man who married my mother found us, we were suffering from malnutrition. He used to take us to Burger King, buy us whoppers, ask us if we got enough to eat.

My mom used to claim that she either wasn't hungry or already ate, so there'd be enough food for my sister and I.

I'm talking 50 years ago. Fifty years, and I still remember going without.

What about your kids? Would you be okay with your kids going hungry? Living under somebody else's roof, or a family of five living in a rough neighborhood in a motel, or even in the van? Why the FUCK is that okay with you??

I don't understand you people. I truly don't. Take a stand, and don't budge, no matter how inhumane it makes you look.

ANYTHING?

Correct. They're not in Somalia. They shouldn't be going to bed hungry. Their parents shouldn't be deciding between paying electric, and feeding family.

This is America, ffs.

To all who have decided they went hungry, and it wasn't that big a deal - is that how you remember it? Because yeah, I know now that I got through it. But I didn't then. Then, it hurt. Going to bed hungry hurt, just like they said. When the man who married my mother found us, we were suffering from malnutrition. He used to take us to Burger King, buy us whoppers, ask us if we got enough to eat.

My mom used to claim that she either wasn't hungry or already ate, so there'd be enough food for my sister and I.

What about your kids? Would you be okay with your kids going hungry? Living under somebody else's roof, or a family of five living in a rough neighborhood in a motel, or even in the van? Why the FUCK is that okay with you??

I don't understand you people. I truly don't. Take a stand, and don't budge, no matter how inhumane it makes you look.

Sounds like your parents sucked. Sorry about that.

My kids never went hungry because:

1. I didn't have kids until I could afford to support them
2. I prepared myself for a professional career
3. I make a damn good living because of (1) & (2)

There ya go BDPoop.

This is America, ffs.

There ya go BDPoop.

You're a bastard. I'm sure everyone has already told you.

Shit happens. You were born and raised under a rainbow, and with a silver spoon, as were your parents before you.

You didn't do ANYTHING that makes you special or different. Luck of the draw, asshole. Luck of the draw.

How about the Responsibility To Not Have Children You Can't Afford To Support?

Nah.. can't have any of that.

You didn't watch the video, did you, asshole? The people living in the van were making a combined $40 an hour detailing cars.

God, what a moron.

Yeah, actually I did. You leftists fuckwits never address the causes of these situations.... you just whine and conjure up new ways to take more money form the majority of us who don't allow ourselves to be in these situations.

How about the Responsibility To Not Have Children You Can't Afford To Support?

Nah.. can't have any of that.

You didn't watch the video, did you, asshole? The people living in the van were making a combined $40 an hour detailing cars.

God, what a moron.

Yeah, actually I did. You leftists fuckwits never address the causes of these situations.... you just whine and conjure up new ways to take more money form the majority of us who don't allow ourselves to be in these situations.

Y'know what? I don't believe a word you say. I don't believe you have a family, who would marry an inhumane ass such as yourself. I don't believe you have kids, a home, or anything worth having. I believe you will die, and soon; old, lonely and alone.

Sucks to be you.

I know that no other President in history gave more to black Africa then did President Bush, but he failed to realize that all the money in the world will not make the races of people equal

Well, Tank, there is another area in which President Bush erred...Moyo sees the problem as one of economics, not race.

From the book by Dr. Dambisa Moyo, New York Times Bestseller "Dead Aid: Why Aid is Not Working and How there is a Better Way for Africa"

Why, Moyo asks, “is it that Africa alone among the continents of the world seems to be locked into a cycle of dysfunction? Why in a recent survey did seven out of the top 10 ‘failed states' hail from that continent?” Moyo, a Zambian economist educated at Oxford and Harvard, who has worked for the World Bank and Goldman Sachs, believes that foreign aid is the root cause of the spiral that has led Africa into its present situation.

1. Deep in every liberal sensibility is a profound sense that in a world of moral uncertainty one idea is sacred, on belief cannot be compromised: the rich should help the poor, and the form of that help should be aid.

2. The notion that aid can alleviate systemic poverty, and has done so, is a myth. Millions in Africa are poorer today because of aid: misery and poverty have not ended but have increased. Aid has been and continues to be, an unmitigated political, economic, and humanitarian disaster for most parts of the developing world.

This is America, ffs.

There ya go BDPoop.

You're a bastard. I'm sure everyone has already told you.

Shit happens. You were born and raised under a rainbow, and with a silver spoon, as were your parents before you.

You didn't do ANYTHING that makes you special or different. Luck of the draw, asshole. Luck of the draw.

Nope, not all all. My father grew up virtually penniless in a single parent household during the Great Depression as did my Mother. My father was career military and Mom was a stay at home Mom. We went on maybe 3 vacations in 18 years, and I remember having maybe 4 cars in the same time frame.

You don't know shit honey...

Luck of the draw? I worked two jobs and went to college part time for seven years because my parents didn't have the money for college... thats luck of the draw?

You're a fucking whiner...

God, what a moron.

Y'know what? I don't believe a word you say. I don't believe you have a family, who would marry an inhumane ass such as yourself. I don't believe you have kids, a home, or anything worth having. I believe you will die, and soon; old, lonely and alone.

Sucks to be you.

Y'now what? Who fucking cares? You're a whiny, sniveling little piss-ant on a MB who starts 20 retarded-ass, irrelevant threads a day that are the object of pretty much universal ridicule.

And BTW... by taking care of myself and my own, that makes me waaaaaaaaaaaay more humane than the fucks running around spitting out kids they can't support. But we wouldn't expect you to get your little pinhead around such a notion.

:lol:

Poverty is not relative to 3rd world countries. Poverty is relative to the standard of living in country and similar countries economy wise.

So sure American poor have fridges, cars, phones and what not and so what?... who says that the fridge is new? Who says the cars are the newest models and not wrecks from the 1980s? Who said they bought the car? Who said they did not find the fridge at a dump or got it from their dead parents or some friends? And lets not forget a microwave, phone, fridge and what not can be bought quite cheaply compared to 1950s-1980s... hell even cars are dirt cheap now compared to then. Also a homeless man/woman has a house as well, made of cardboard and he/she has cloths on his/her back and shoes... does that not make him/her poor? Like it or not in the societies we are in now, the stuff we have are not a good reflection of poverty especially if you compare it to the 1950s or Africa as many on the US right seem to do.

The measure of poverty is the level of income relative to the cost of living and here income inequality comes into play and there the US has a horrible record.

A family of 4 earning 22 k a year (the official poverty rate for a family of 4) living in rural Alabama might be okay off, but the same family living in New York are poor. A family or person that stands between paying the rent and utilities vs feeding himself and his family is poor and it does not matter he has a car or a fridge or a microwave or a mobile phone.

And the problem is only getting worse and worse because of rising prices, stagnating wages and lack of jobs. Just try applying the OECD method of finding who is in poverty to the US and you will be shocked considering how "rich" everyone thinks the US is. How many earn less than the median wage in the US? Anyone know?

Forum List

Back