Chicken soup

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
I'm going the low-carb route and am now in week 3. Which means I'm getting really, REALLY tired of meat, meat, and did I say, meat?

So this week I've been hitting chicken a lot and tonight I decided to make plain soup.

3 chicken leg/thigh quarters
1 carcass of Fred Meyer rotisserie chicken (lemon herb in this case, had a lot of meat still on it - a whole half untouched, and the whole carcass)
bay leaves
Butter (about 1/3 a stick)
salt
water (I filled my stock pot up to w/in a few inches of the top since I wanted it to boil down and be prettyave strong).

I have been boiling it for a couple of hours with a lid on. I was hungry (I'm craving carbs terribly) so I scooped some out, put some chicken from ANOTHER Freddie's chicken I have in the fridge in there, added about 3-4 T of heavy cream (3 carbs) and a pat of butter and nuked it for a minute to warm the cold ingredients...

AMBROSIA. The best cream of chicken soup I've ever had. And I still have a full pot of chicken soup simmering away. Next stop...chicken/asparagus soup. Probably with cream also.

I learned a couple of things low carbing, first if you get a carb craving that lasts a couple of days give into it but only eat a small portion. Secondly once you have adjusted to the lower carb intake and you eat potatoes they will sit on your stomach like a ton of bricks for at least half the day, especially french fries.
Eat a lot of greens, salads, broccoli, (green) beans. Saute the beans in ham or bacon fat, a couple of dishes I still make are green beans with diced ham steak cooked in bacon grease and spinach with stewed tomatoes and chicken with basil and diced scallions.
If you're doing Adkins, don't forget the induction period is only 2 weeks before you start adding small amounts of carbs back into your meals.
Good luck!

• Banned
Yeah, induction is at least two weeks, but you can go further with it.

I lost 13 lbs in a week, not too shabby, I carbed out last weekend because of DAMN GIRL SCOUT COOKIES, lol...and gained a little less than half of it back. BUT it only took me a few days to bring it back down.

Yeah, induction is at least two weeks, but you can go further with it.

I lost 13 lbs in a week, not too shabby, I carbed out last weekend because of DAMN GIRL SCOUT COOKIES, lol...and gained a little less than half of it back. BUT it only took me a few days to bring it back down.

13 lbs in a week is amazing, Allie! Good on you! :clap2:

I am so impressed, I think I am gonna follow in your footsteps, as of next Tuesday (March 1st).

Do you recommend I do the book or the online site?

Forum List

Back