Chicago sends Smollett a bill for $130k

But he served community service and paid a $10,000 fine.

Which is probably as good as you guys are going to get.

Doesn’t it bother you he did a disservice to Blacks, gays, and all legitimate hate crime victims.

Oh wait this is not for the cost of the investigation into HIS crimes, this is for the cost of investigating his allegation of a hate crime.

Hmmm.....well charges against him for faking it were dropped so he can say they were real.

He can say it, but they have proof he was lying, and he has nothing to refute it. I don't think having his political connections making a deal for him will impress anyone with his innocence.

The bill gag seems like just another part of the charade. Like we're stupid or something. lol. They know he isn't responsibe for their bill. It's like reality televsion, isn't it?

Actually, they know that they have plenty of legal precedent for their suit, and they're seriously pissed about the whole thing. So no, I don't think they're faking it. They have no reason to fake it, when you get right down to it. If the city of Chicago and its police force were secretly in the tank for Smollett, along with that execrable excuse for a prosecutor, they'd be far better served by dropping it than by threatening lawsuits.

Good to see you posting. Hope you are feeling a little better.

For sending them on a goose chase until false pretenses, I tend to think it isn’t the ordinary course of business.

Thanks, depotoo. I appreciate it. I'm feeling a little better, the pain pills are getting me through the days and nights. They're keeping me up at the moment, though. I might try to sneak down to taking ibuprofen instead for a while, those prescription ones get me wired.

I've never followed this whole thing with him to be honest. I remember the first time I saw it on the boob tube, though, I said to myself what kind of stupid stuff is this, this is a scam.

Now we're still gonna see his dude's turtle looking mug all over the tv and web nonstop, even after the charges were dropped. Ya know? I wonder what they were really up to before they got caught, whoever was really running the con game. In Chicago of all places? It had to be something evil or over the top with that bunch.

Agreed on beng pissed about the the goose chase , I can see why they'd do it, I guess. Still, the whole thing is scwewy.

And what a horrible actor during all of the tv interviews, I'd add. How'd that dude ever get into show business anyway? Gosh. You could tell he was lying right away.

It's apparently not uncommon for people to file false police reports, nor for them to then get sentences that involve paying restitution. It's just that it's not usually a celebrity with political connections.

Cute but no defendant is responsible for paying for the cost of the prosecutions case against him. He can simply say I was innocent, charges dropped. Costs are on ya'll. Cya.

Nope.... If you start a fire and the city has to put it out.... They can absolutely charge you for it. Your just plain wrong.

Jo

In Arizona, we had to pass a Stupid Motorist law, so that if you ignore warning signs and drive into a flash flood area and have to be rescued, you get billed for the cost of rescuing your stupid ass. It's not unheard of by any means for people to get a bill for using public service resources for dumb or fraudulent reasons.

Mr. Smollett is going to need the 130k for his Federal Prosecution and fines. Since Smollett falsely tried to pin this crime on President Trump's supporters, the prosecution will go forward on a federal level.

No deals with Chicago state attorneys mean shit in the Federal system. The Illinois governor can't pardon him,

IMHO, mailing Fake WMD through the mail is Terrorism.

It was crushed aspirin... he mailed to himself.

Federal Prosecutors are going to have the same problem Kim Foxx had... a jury pool that will happily let a Celebrity Brother off to stick it in the eye of the man.

Did you all forget the OJ Trial already? We don't convict celebrities of murder, much less penny-ante shit like this.

Getting a change of venue wouldn't be a problem. If the Phony Anthrax Letter went through the mail, there is a good chance it went through less friendly jurisdictions to Smollett's brand of extremism.

Further, this isn't "penny ante shit" at all. Talk to Steve Hatfill whose life was ruined by rogue FBI agents over white powder being sent through the mail. And the whole Smollett case will permanently destroy any future Hate Crime prosecutions, as they will be demonstrated to be phony publicity stunts.

Not to mention that SOMEONE has to pay for the $130,000 in resources used to investigate the non-existent incident. The cops who worked that investigation aren't going to say, "Oh, well, since nothing actually happened, you don't have to pay me for that time." Nor should they? So it's either Smollett or the people of Chicago. Smollett's the one who decided to waste time and resources angling for publicity; the people of Chicago already had to put up with having police resources diverted from real crimes AND with having their city dragged through the mud in the media. Asking them to pay for that privilege is just adding insult to injury.

Um. smollett ain't OJ. and the current stink of the whole case makes a jury poll far less sympathetic towards someone trying to game the system.

The only stink is how the Machine in this city covered up for Jason van Dyke. So the jury pool would think, "M.F van Dyke got 3 years for shooting a kid in the back 16 times, and they want to throw this brother in jail for beating himself up?"

Rumor floating around Chicago Talk Radio today that there was some misconduct on the part of the police (shocker) in this case, which is why Kim Foxx folded as quickly as she did.

If it was a federal case, it wouldn't be held in Chicago. Mailing white powder is a terrorist action and Mr. Smollett would be held at Gitmo and tried by a military tribunal

Uh, no. Calm down and take a breath.

Um, our whole system is based on truthful testimony to the courts, and to the agents of the courts,

Sure it is... you keep telling yourself that. You realize that perjury is almost never prosecuted, right? Do we really need to relive the 1990's, because I'd rather not.

Haha! You think it wasnt a slam dunk case because youre stupid. Haha!

No, I know it wasn't a slam dunk case because no one in this city trusts the CPD. It is truly hated as an institution in some parts of the city.

Do you really think OJ's jury all thought he was innocent? Nope. They were sending a message.

We've had a whole series of cases where the CPD has engaged in massive misconduct against people of color- LaQuan McDonald, Rekia Boyd, etc. And they are going to love an opportunity to give them a big FU, and Trump to, for good measure.

Foxx denied them the opportunity.

Lying to the police is prosecuted all the time, perjury is not because most lawyers won't let their clients perjure themselves on the stand under oath.

And if you perjure yourself without your attorney's knowledge and they find out, they're very likely to throw your ass under the bus, because they don't want to get in trouble along with you.

But he served community service and paid a $10,000 fine.

Which is probably as good as you guys are going to get.

Why are you glad he got away with a hoax?
As hoaxes go it wasn`t on the same level of telling Deplorables that Mexico would build them a wall to hide behind. That hoax put some guy in the Whitehouse. Are you glad he got away with that hoax? Do you feel like a fool for believing him?

"But TTTTTRRRRRRUUUUUMMMPPPP!!!!"

Former Chief Of Staff and current Mayor of Chicago Rahm Emanuel Says "Never Let A Good Crisis Go To Waste"

No, it's called wanting the government to tip the scales against people you despise.

What a lazy fuck you are.

Um, yeah, i do want the government to take the side of consumers and workers over businesses. That's kind of their job. Are you glad that you didn't drink poison coffee this morning? Well, that's because that pesky government actually imposes health codes on your local Starbucks!

Damned Government tipping the scales in your favor! You should pays your money and takes your chances!

Their letter said they intended to sue if he doesn't reimburse them for the money they wasted (which sounds reasonable to me). They certainly can prove their case. So you're wrong about whether or not cities just have to eat the cost of false claims to police, and you're wrong about him being able to say, "I was innocent", since he most certainly isn't.

Again, how much money is the city willing to waste trying to get him to cough up the money? Right now, in Chicago, the CPD is largely despised and celebrities are popular...

So a mayor who got run out of town because he mishandled how the CPD covered up a shooting incident is going to really get money out of this guy? Probably not. The next mayor is probably going to drop the issue.

Not to mention that SOMEONE has to pay for the $130,000 in resources used to investigate the non-existent incident. The cops who worked that investigation aren't going to say, "Oh, well, since nothing actually happened, you don't have to pay me for that time." Nor should they? So it's either Smollett or the people of Chicago. Smollett's the one who decided to waste time and resources angling for publicity; the people of Chicago already had to put up with having police resources diverted from real crimes AND with having their city dragged through the mud in the media. Asking them to pay for that privilege is just adding insult to injury.

Here's the problem with THAT argument. The CPD currently only clears 15% of homicides in the city. Most assaults like this, they take down your information and put it in the "DILIGAF" file. THE only reason Smollett got a real investigation was because he was a celebrity and the story made national news.

This isn't going to be lost on the Jury Pool of Chicago which has had more than a few family members pulled over for a DWB (Driving While Black)

And if you perjure yourself without your attorney's knowledge and they find out, they're very likely to throw your ass under the bus, because they don't want to get in trouble along with you.

Again, all Smollet's lawyers have to do is find someone who caught an investigator saying hte N-Word or Faggot, and any crediblity they have goes out the window.

Again- cut your losses.

No, it's called wanting the government to tip the scales against people you despise.

Um, yeah, i do want the government to take the side of consumers and workers over businesses. That's kind of their job. Are you glad that you didn't drink poison coffee this morning? Well, that's because that pesky government actually imposes health codes on your local Starbucks!

Damned Government tipping the scales in your favor! You should pays your money and takes your chances!

Their letter said they intended to sue if he doesn't reimburse them for the money they wasted (which sounds reasonable to me). They certainly can prove their case. So you're wrong about whether or not cities just have to eat the cost of false claims to police, and you're wrong about him being able to say, "I was innocent", since he most certainly isn't.

Again, how much money is the city willing to waste trying to get him to cough up the money? Right now, in Chicago, the CPD is largely despised and celebrities are popular...

So a mayor who got run out of town because he mishandled how the CPD covered up a shooting incident is going to really get money out of this guy? Probably not. The next mayor is probably going to drop the issue.
Are you leading the charge to find the MAGA hat-wearing thugs who mugged the black fag?

Are you leading the charge to find the MAGA hat-wearing thugs who mugged the black fag?

Naw, I'm just wondering why they are making a big deal about a celebrity looking for attention.

Hey, I would love it if the CPD paid as much attention to the 700 homicides we have a year in this city, 85% of which remain unsolved.
It sucks that you don't care if another black fag get's beaten up by the same thugs. Is it blacks you hate or fags ... or both?

It sucks that you don't care if another black fag get's beaten up by the same thugs. Is it blacks you hate or fags ... or both?

I'm sure a lot of gay dudes get beaten up all the time, and the police usually don't give a shit.

The ONLY reason this got investigated was it was a celebrity and it made national news.

I'm not in Chicago, but you really think this?

A lot of people get assaulted in Chicago, hundreds of whackings ever year. Sure. Its the kind of city where you can get shot at any time.

But I have doubts about your allegation that there are Maga Country thugs roaming the city at night looking for homos sashaying down the street in the middle of the night to attack.

Ah argumentum ad absurdum, the last refuge of the worthless twat called JoeBlowcock.

Because they best way to retain customers is to kill them...

It's amazing how many nefarious goals you attribute to people in business but ignore any such goals in people in government, or at least progressive morons in government, like you.

Naw, I'm just wondering why they are making a big deal about a celebrity looking for attention.

Hey, I would love it if the CPD paid as much attention to the 700 homicides we have a year in this city, 85% of which remain unsolved.

Mr. Smollett made a fool out of Mayor Dead Fish by making this phony report, and they take it personally. We'll see if his successor feels the same way about this and continues on with the lawsuit.

But there is really nothing that the police can do to solve most of the murders. The traditional methods of bringing in the usual suspects and putting the screws to them really isn't looked upon so highly in Chicago nowadays. Unless people are ready to make complaints and cooperate with the detectives, the number of unresolved homicides will skyrocket.

President Trump would like to send his own men to Chicago and cure the problem, but the local politicians aren't interested

I'm not in Chicago, but you really think this?

A lot of people get assaulted in Chicago, hundreds of whackings ever year. Sure. Its the kind of city where you can get shot at any time.

But I have doubts about your allegation that there are Maga Country thugs roaming the city at night looking for homos sashaying down the street in the middle of the night to attack.

Never said there was. There has been a marked increase in hate Crimes since Trump said it was okay, though. This is why Smollet's story had some credibility initially.

Ah argumentum ad absurdum, the last refuge of the worthless twat called JoeBlowcock.

Because they best way to retain customers is to kill them...

It's amazing how many nefarious goals you attribute to people in business but ignore any such goals in people in government, or at least progressive morons in government, like you.

You really think that the average barrista making minimum wage cares that much about "retaining customers"... But he does care that he can be fired if the Health Department comes in and finds Cockroaches in the Rich Blend.

People do dumb things all the time. Heck, half your homophobic heroes lost their businesses because the community stopped patronizing them LONG before the government slapped them with well-deserved fines.

But there is really nothing that the police can do to solve most of the murders. The traditional methods of bringing in the usual suspects and putting the screws to them really isn't looked upon so highly in Chicago nowadays. Unless people are ready to make complaints and cooperate with the detectives, the number of unresolved homicides will skyrocket.

Meh, you see, what you don't get is that the Chicago Police never learned how to solve crimes without doing that... that's kind of the problem. They should be thanking Jussie... he reminded them what an investigation looks like.

Forum List

Back