Chevy Volt Production Put On Five Week Hold

Why do conservatives cheer the failure of an alternative to the gasoline engine?

The liberal position in these Obama years has been that the ends justify the means.

I adamantly oppose that philosophy, and I admit to a little bit of schadenfreude when liberals aren't even getting the ends that they have attempted to sell America's collective soul to achieve.

I am for achieving viable alternative energy in a way which doesn't put people who depend on our present economic forces out of work and doesn't cause starvation around the world ...

So sue me.

The Chevy Volt works and by all accounts their owners love them

Yeah, that's why they have to halt production for a month, that HUGE demand... :cuckoo:

The liberal position in these Obama years has been that the ends justify the means.

I adamantly oppose that philosophy, and I admit to a little bit of schadenfreude when liberals aren't even getting the ends that they have attempted to sell America's collective soul to achieve.

I am for achieving viable alternative energy in a way which doesn't put people who depend on our present economic forces out of work and doesn't cause starvation around the world ...

So sue me.

Yeah, that's why they have to halt production for a month, that HUGE demand... :cuckoo:

Yea.....there wasn't much demand for the horseless carriage at first either

Why do conservatives cheer the failure of an alternative to the gasoline engine?

We would cheer it's success, if it were a success. In this case we are pointing out the failure of technology forced to market prematurely by bureaucrats. No cheering just lots of booing.

Just give it a few more years!

Envia Claims ‘Breakthrough’ in Lithium-Ion Battery Cost and Energy Density
The New York Times

February 26, 2012
(excerpts)
Envia Systems, a battery maker based in California, announced on Monday what it called a “major breakthrough” in lithium-ion cell technology that would result in a significant increase in the energy density — and a sharp reduction in the cost — of lithium-ion battery packs. Envia is financed by the Energy Department and G.M. Ventures, the venture-capital arm of General Motors, as well as other investors. “We will be able to make smaller automotive packs that are also less heavy and much cheaper,” Atul Kapadia, chairman and chief executive of Envia, said in a telephone interview. “The cost of cells will be less than half — perhaps 45 percent — of cells today, and the energy density will be almost three times greater than conventional automotive cells. What we have are not demonstrations, not experiments, but actual products. We could be in automotive production in a year and a half.”

Envia’s announcement said that its packs would deliver cell energy of 400 watt-hours per kilogram at a cost of $150 per kilowatt-hour. Though it doesn’t disclose a cost breakdown, Tesla Motors rates the energy density of its Roadster’s pack at 121 watt-hours per kilogram. Envia said its energy-density performance was verified in testing of prototype cells at the Naval Service Warfare Center’s Crane evaluation division.
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/201...-lithium-ion-battery-cost-and-energy-density/

Last edited:
Obama knows that we should increase our own production. He will fund experimental start-up companies for exploration of alternative fuels even when he knows the company is failing. His refusal to increase oil production likely is based on the same insane reasoning he uses to keep our borders wide open while awaiting a suitable "comprehensive immigration plan"...even though he knows that closing the border is the right thing to do.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

R&D means failure. Oil itself failed miserably when it first started out.

Government investment in alternative energy technology is a wise investment. We are competing against other nations that are subsidizing their industry to develop alternative fuels

And they're not doing any better than us, are they.
When the technology matures, there will be a company to exploit it. Chances are that the companies that do exploit their success in alternative energy will be oil companies that actually UNDERSTAND the energy market.
It sure as hell won't be government.

So sue me.

Yugo owners felt the same way....

Why do liberals cheer the failure of America to become energy independent? We consume 20 million bbls of oil/ day and only produce 8 million bbls/ day. Yet every effort to increase domestic production is shot down by the loony left and environazi's. If we can get our domestic production up to 20 million bbls/day- we control our own destiny. We become energy independent- for real. Not some liberal pipe dream of unicorn farts, rainbow emissions, and electric cars....:cuckoo:

By the way, nobody is cheering for the Volt to fail - It is was a failure from day 1. If it ever becomes a successful venture, I will cheer that.. those fucks at GM owe the US taxpayer a lot of money,
and you get 10,000 more from the taxpayer in incentives to purchase the piece of crap.

Not the volt?

Nooooooooo

full-auto-albums-drama-queen-picture4190-lb0109cd20120106064203.jpg

I'd love to know the answer, too.
One would think that those who are so gleeful over the failure of alternative methods must own large shares of oil company stocks, but we know that's not true here.

One would think that those who are so gleeful over the failure of alternative methods must own large shares of oil company stocks, but we know that's not true here.

Read the thread and you'll get an answer, just not one that you can honestly argue with...

One wonders why you embrace failure....

[Things like this happen when you try to cram a Yugo like product down the throat of a free market economy. GM will be able to weather the storm because Barry will just extort more money from the rest of the country to cover GM's woes and pay the laid off workers their full paychecks, just like Fannie announced it needs another 4.6 billion to weather the next three months. You all know what put Fannie in the hole its in, the Democrats in Congress and the WhiteHouse suddenly deciding that prudent lending standards were inherently racist.
Barney Frank: "There's nothing wrong down here at Fannie and Freddie, just us foxes at play. Anyway, we just wanna roll the dice for a little bit longer"]

"General Motors has told 1,300 employees at its Detroit Hamtramck that they will be temporarily laid off for five weeks as the company halts production of the Chevrolet Volt and its European counterpart, the Opel Ampera.

“Even with sales up in February over January, we are still seeking to align our production with demand,” said GM spokesman Chris Lee.

Lee said employees were told Thursday that production would put on hold from March 19 to April 23."

Volt production on hold for 5 weeks | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
“Even with sales up in February over January, we are still seeking to align our production with demand,” said GM spokesman Chris Lee.

and thats, that.

Not Obama nor his merry band of federal venture capitalists can change it....its a dog and it doesn't sell, even with another $7500.00 of fed. rebates thrown in....

because its not a VIABLE alternative.....sorry the unicorns didn't shit the technology that would make it so....christ what numbskulls.

and why do libs insist on reinforcing or doubling down on such an awful fail?

Tesla will be next so....

now the million dollar Q for you- why does Prius sell?

oh and from the link, looks like Government Motors is hoping the price of gas will help them out....the jackasses need to do their math- the price of a gallon of gas needs to be north of 7 bucks a gallon for several years to make even close to economical....but then again looking at Obamacare, they don't need no stinkin' math.......

from the OP link;

GM hopes that economic recovery, the rising price of petrol, and recent support from California, where some Volts with lone drivers will be allowed in carpool lanes, will boost sales.

Forum List

Back