Cheapest Roof Coverings for bad weather

Baron Von Murderpaws

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2021
In the recesses of your mind
I have a friend in Canada, where they have some harsh winters.

He lives in an old house and the roof shingles are starting to degrade and fly off the roof during the winter.
He does not have any money for roof repair.

We've been trying to find some super cheap alternatives for a roof covering that will last at least a couple of years in the heat and harsh winter.

Any non-trolling suggestions would be helpful.

Corrugated tin or corrugated fiberglass would be a good alternative.

Another cheap one (had a friend that did this) would be to lay down plywood sheeting and then spray it with rhino liner (like what you use in pickup truck beds). Not only is the stuff tough as nails (would also help protect during hailstorms), but I think it also acts as a bit of insulation in a small way.

Interestingly enough, MythBusters sprayed a building front with it on one episode, and found that it was able to withstand the effects of an explosion. Look for the "bedlam proof bedliner" episode.

Let us know what your friend used and how it works out. I'd like to hear about the end results.

He lives in an old house and the roof shingles are starting to degrade and fly off the roof during the winter.

We've been trying to find some super cheap alternatives for a roof covering that will last at least a couple of years in the heat and harsh winter.

The standard cheap 3-tab shingles are going to be the least expensive option. That is why you see them everywhere as the standard. I got the "50 year" architectural shingle. They weren't a lot more expensive but were pricier, but really only last an extra 5-10 years so "50" really means "25-30"

Shingles are cheap... and at least here in the States they go on clearance all the time.

When I built my shed shingles at Lowe's were $15 a bundle for architectural shingles.

But the absolutely cheapest roof is rolled roofing.

Can't put a roof on any cheaper.

Rolled roofing basics...

Screenshot_20220516-213006.png

How many layers of shingles are there already? And what condition is the plywood underneath?

If the plywood is in good shape, it may be easier/cheaper to just add another layer of shingles. And if that's too much, just replace the missing shingles and make sure the rest are still well attached (nailed down?)

Forum List

Back