Chaos Cooks

chao$

Silver Member
Jul 31, 2015
What better way to start a day than dessert for breakfast? Us Americans do like our breakfast to be sweet.

Chaos Banana Walnut Cake

I've been making banana bread a long time and grabbing a piece for breakfast when I'm late and running out the door. But to me a cook is always looking to try something new. It's not that difficult to turn banana bread into banana cake. All you have to do is separate the eggs and whip the whites to soft peaks. I tried using whole wheat pastry flour but it wasn't as good as when I mix it with some AP flour. You can use any flour you want but to me a mix of flours works best. That means you also need a gram scale to keep your dry and wet ingredients consistent. No big deal but if the mix is too wet the walnuts sink to the bottom and if the mix is too dry it's difficult to fold in the whipped egg whites.

Prepare an 8'' or 9'' pan or muffin tray to start. This recipe serves 8 and will stay good in the refrigerator for 4 or 5 days. Are you still with me?

Dry ingredients
70g whole wheat pastry flour
40g unbleached AP flour
40g bleached AP flour
20g cornstarch
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or raisins or chocolate chips. Whatever you have in the pantry.

Wet ingredients
3 ripe bananas
6 large eggs separated
20g oil minimum. 1 tbs is about 15g Use a healthy oil but don't try to skimp here. 2 tbs will work
50g sugar for banana mix
20g sugar for egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Directions
Weigh out flour mix but keep the walnuts separate
Get a water bath pan ready to pour as much as 1/2 gallon of simmering water into
Separate the eggs

In a large mixing bowl, mash bananas with 50g sugar
add egg yolks one at a time until you like the consistency
stir in oil

In another clean glass or stainless steel bowl, whip egg whites for about 2 minutes then add cream of tartar
keep whipping and add sugar a little at a time until you reach soft peaks
depending on what you are using to whip the egg whites is how to decide when to preheat the oven to 375 F and get your water simmering on the stove

Sift flour mix into banana mix in 3 steps to make it easier to incorporate
this is the time to fix your batter if it's too wet or too dry but this recipe should be close
stir in walnuts
whip egg whites for a minute then fold them into batter in 3 steps
speed is important so move fast but gentle until everything is mixed but not over mixed where you lose too much air

Pour batter into prepared pan then tap it on the counter a few times to remove air pockets
place pan in water pan and add enough water to come up about 1 inch
if you bake a lot you already know how much water is needed for the bath so you don't have to be handling boiling water with your cake in the oven

Bake at 375 F for 10 minutes then turn the oven down to 325 for 40 minute
open the door for a peek to see if the cake looks ready for a toothpick test
it should be a beautiful golden brown (crack free) dome like a pound cake
you want the cake to be close enough to being done to spend the last 10 or 15 minutes baking with the oven off
this helps minimize shrinking by starting the cooling process but you don't want to turn your oven off if the toothpick is too wet
60 to 70 minutes total depending on the pan so if you use muffin trays you're on your own

Turn cake out onto a plate then turn back onto a cooling rack
let it cool for at least 20 minuets before cutting
if anyone tries this please let me know how it turned out

• Banned
Japanese Cheesecake

This is a recipe I am trying to figure out. The recipes on the net are pretty good but better suited for an angelfood cake pan because their only leavener is the whipped egg whites. There is way too much shrinkage in a 9x3 cake pan so the cake comes out wrinkled. I added more flour, some baking powder and soda, and cut way back on the sugar but the cake is still shrinking more than I want. Any ideas?

Dry ingredients
70g whole wheat pastry flour
25g unbleached AP flour
20g cornstarch
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt

Wet ingredients
8oz cream cheese (1 block)
40g sugar
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup milk
2.5 tbs unsalted butter

6 egg whites
20g sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Directions
have your pan prepared and water on the stove for a water bath
melt cream cheese in a double boiler while stirring
mix in 40g sugar
mix in egg yolks one at a time
microwave butter in milk for 30 seconds then mix into cream cheese mixture
set off heat

whip egg whites
add cream of tartar
slowly whip in sugar until soft peaks
preheat oven to 390F and simmer water on stove for water bath

sift flour mix into cream cheese mix and stir to combine
whip egg whites for a few minutes
fold egg whites into batter quickly but gently
pour into pan and tap on counter a few times to remove air pockets

Bake at 390 for 15 minutes in water bath then turn oven down to 325 for 15 or 20 minutes before turning oven off to let cake finish. The cake shrinks as it cools so I think it needs to cool upside down like an angelfood cake but mine falls out of the pan. Any suggestions on how to keep it from shrinking will be greatly appreciated.

I think it needs more cook time....400 then down to 350 but I'd add 15 min at least at the lower temp.

• Banned
I think it needs more cook time....400 then down to 350 but I'd add 15 min at least at the lower temp.

I don't want the eggs to get too hot but I need to try something to improve the appearance. The Japanese Cheesecake is light and fluffy, and taste great but it looks like something went terribly wrong.

Just head for the nearest store and buy some good ice cream for breakfast in the hot summer days.

you can always cover appearance....as long as the food is good....kinda like people.....you can dress them up and take them out as long as they are solid....unfortunately rotten can be covered in the south we call it a preacher pack.....looks good on the outside but rotten on the inside

plus raspberries are in season and you simply cannot go wrong with cheesecake, chocolate and raspberries....

I serve seasonal fruit with my Japanese Cheesecake but I think it's important for a cake to stands on its own taste wise. 20g of cornstarch is used in a traditional Japanese Cheesecake and I haven't tried cutting back yet.

a cake should stand on its own but appearance....if its fucked up you got to cover.....if its so bad chocolate doesnt work ...a trifle dish will....then its layers...

My goal is to make a cake that doesn't need anything else. Then I build or layer from that.

Dang, man. Them recipes is more words than I can count.

Baking is more of a process than cooking. A cake recipe is useless without instructions.

Baking is MUCH more measurement sensitive than cooking. I don't measure anything when I'm cooking, I just add until I have a flavor I like, but when baking, you have to either be precise to the recipe, or understand baking enough to know how to alter the recipe, which most people don't.

Forum List

Back