Change The National Anthem?

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
The Star Spangled Banner is notoriously hard to sing. The lyrics are a bit of tongue twister and most of us cannot hit the high notes. Should we consider changing over to something easier, like "God Bless America" or "This Land Is Your Land"?

Your thoughts?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnQDW-NMaRs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnQDW-NMaRs[/ame]

• Banned
The Star Spangled Banner is notoriously hard to sing. The lyrics are a bit of tongue twister and most of us cannot hit the high notes. Should we consider changing over to something easier, like "God Bless America" or "This Land Is Your Land"?

Your thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnQDW-NMaRs

LOL...yeah. Christina screwed it up at the Super Bowl yesterday!!!

Yes, and that is what prompted me to ask this. (Not that such a flub is excusable by a professional singer.)

You practically have to be an opera singer to carry off the Star Spangled Banner. Wouldn't something easier be more suitable?

I heard someone say that "God Bless America" was considered to be the "official alternative national anthem," but I was not able to verify that. Personally I would vote for "O Beautiful" (~ for spacious skies ~ for amber waves of grain ~~)

I heard someone say that "God Bless America" was considered to be the "official alternative national anthem," but I was not able to verify that. Personally I would vote for "O Beautiful" (~ for spacious skies ~ for amber waves of grain ~~)

Ya, so would I. Great song.

I like both songs but would not favor a change. I think the "messing up" comes with the pressure in singing it in front of a crowed. These professional singers sing their own songs over and over and over again. They rarely sing the national anthem in front of large crowds. Personally I think it's from lack of preparation...I could be wrong though.

I was only wrong once, and it was when I thought I was wrong but I was actually right...lol j/k:razz:

• Banned

Ya, so would I. Great song.

I like both songs but would not favor a change. I think the "messing up" comes with the pressure in singing it in front of a crowed. These professional singers sing their own songs over and over and over again. They rarely sing the national anthem in front of large crowds. Personally I think it's from lack of preparation...I could be wrong though.

I was only wrong once, and it was when I thought I was wrong but I was actually right...lol j/k:razz:

Well, like I said, it's not really about whether the professionals can cover the song. It's about us regular folk. I have nowhere near the range the Star Spangled Banner requires and never have had.

I think it'd be nice if we had an anthem I didn't have to lip sync.

America the Beautiful.

I saw Smokey Robinson segue from the Star Spangled Banner into America the Beautiful when I was a kid and thought it was fantastic.

[youtube]qZUoV_iw0II[/youtube]

It's not THAT hard..The trick is to start in a key you can maintain and be able to hit the notes without warbling or screeching.

It's not THAT hard..The trick is to start in a key you can maintain and be able to hit the notes without warbling or screeching.

Mebbe not for most people, but I can't even plough all the way through "Ave Marie".

Canadians have an easier anthem. I just think mebbe we should have one that's more "people friendly", is all.

I just wish the NFL would choose people who really love this country to sing the National Anthem.

Our national anthem OUGHT TO BEthe hymn Amazing Grace.

I once was lost
but now I'm found
Was blind
But now I see

If that doesn't sum up the American experience we hope we'll have then nothing does.

No.

The lyrics were written in Baltimore Harbor during the War of 1812 when the Americans stopped the British from taking Fort McHenry. The tune was an old English drinking song so you need to be a little imbibed to get it right or to get it to sound right. It reminds us (for those that listen to the words) of the "brave" men and women who fought so that we could be "free." It has history to it now so no change is called for.

Sure there are other prettier songs that evoke feelings of patriotism and pride in the country but this song reminds us of the violent images of the past trials and tribulations of the citizens of this wonderful country.

Our national anthem OUGHT TO BEthe hymn Amazing Grace.

I once was lost
but now I'm found
Was blind
But now I see

If that doesn't sum up the American experience we hope we'll have then nothing does.

It doesn't really relate to our country or have the historic significance that the Star Spangled Banner does.

If the public were allowed to choose a new anthem I'm afraid we'd end up with some pop culture shit from american idol or some madonna or britney spears crap...etc...

Oh hell no. Sing it in a key you can manage and stop worrying that you sound like crap; most people can't sing very well anyway. I'd rather have this song, with all it's history and all the meaning behind the song, than something 'user friendly'. Sung in a crowd it always sounds terrific . . . well, except for when the singers try to put their own spin on the tune or can't even remember the words. :rolleyes: Time and a place for a teleprompter and yeah, singing the SSB in front of a huge crowd is one of those times.

Forum List

Back