Change! Black boxes in cars may soon be mandatory

Car Black Boxes Raise Privacy Concerns

Since Obama is prez this will be okay, right? Remember the hissies libs threw over libraries and the patriot act?

From your link.................................

In the next few days, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is expected to propose long-delayed regulations requiring auto manufacturers to include event data recorders — better known as "black boxes" — in all new cars and light trucks. But the agency is behind the curve. Automakers have been quietly tucking the devices, which automatically record the actions of drivers and the responses of their vehicles in a continuous information loop, into most new cars for years.

When a car is involved in a crash or when its airbags deploy, inputs from the vehicle's sensors during the 5 to 10 seconds before impact are automatically preserved. That's usually enough to record things like how fast the car was traveling and whether the driver applied the brake, was steering erratically or had a seat belt on.

The idea is to gather information that can help investigators determine the cause of accidents and lead to safer vehicles. But privacy advocates say government regulators and automakers are spreading an intrusive technology without first putting in place policies to prevent misuse of the information collected.

So............if automakers have already been doing this for years, how did Obama implement it?

Yes but now the government wants to go much further. The tracking of vehicle movements as means to levy taxes and God knows what else these pricks want to do.
The danger is, when no one is willing to watch the watchers.
If the watchers know they are not being watched, it is the same as possessing absolute power.

Won't be any black boxes on any of my trucks.

:lol:
My vehicles will also be excluded. And there's nothing government can do about it.
If the federal or state government wants to waste expensive resources tracking down every auto that belongs to a person who does not want to have their movements tracked, they are free to give it a go.

My sediments exactly.

I still have a couple of the old bulk tape eraser electromagnets used to throw a magnetic field onto a large reel of recording tape to scramble the whole thing. I keep it around for whenever I renew my driver's license. Soon as it comes in, bye bye magnetic strip.

Since Obama is prez this will be okay, right? Remember the hissies libs threw over libraries and the patriot act?

In the next few days, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is expected to propose long-delayed regulations requiring auto manufacturers to include event data recorders — better known as "black boxes" — in all new cars and light trucks. But the agency is behind the curve. Automakers have been quietly tucking the devices, which automatically record the actions of drivers and the responses of their vehicles in a continuous information loop, into most new cars for years.

When a car is involved in a crash or when its airbags deploy, inputs from the vehicle's sensors during the 5 to 10 seconds before impact are automatically preserved. That's usually enough to record things like how fast the car was traveling and whether the driver applied the brake, was steering erratically or had a seat belt on.

The idea is to gather information that can help investigators determine the cause of accidents and lead to safer vehicles. But privacy advocates say government regulators and automakers are spreading an intrusive technology without first putting in place policies to prevent misuse of the information collected.

So............if automakers have already been doing this for years, how did Obama implement it?

Yes but now the government wants to go much further. The tracking of vehicle movements as means to levy taxes and God knows what else these pricks want to do.
If the watchers know they are not being watched, it is the same as possessing absolute power.

Hey Stupid......................got any proof that this is going to happen?

My only questions are these: Who is going to make money off this deal, and what is their relationship to those in Washington?

Well, they have them on planes, don't they? They can help find the answers to why a plane crashed and what actions were taken by the pilot to correct the situation.

What is wrong with having them in cars? Someone crashes, the box could provide the answers as to whether the driver was speeding, had their seat belt off, etc. It could be a great help. Screw privacy, I don't think privacy matters here.

Well, they have them on planes, don't they? They can help find the answers to why a plane crashed and what actions were taken by the pilot to correct the situation.

What is wrong with having them in cars? Someone crashes, the box could provide the answers as to whether the driver was speeding, had their seat belt off, etc. It could be a great help. Screw privacy, I don't think privacy matters here.

It is usually pretty easy to find the reasons for a car accident-beer cans in the car, amount of alcohol in the bloodstream, really long skid marks, deer through the windshield, brakes were cut, person flew through the windshield due to not wearing a seatbelt, etc. It's just a little wrong to have a black box in a private vehicle.

You make a good point - but I think if the pros outweigh the cons, then maybe they could be used on a trial basis.

Hey Stupid......................got any proof that this is going to happen?
I am attempting to have a civil discussion and because you don't like my point of view , you decide an insult is necessary...
Now, who is stupid? Just asking.
Look, if you don't want an opposing viewpoint put me on ignore.

My only questions are these: Who is going to make money off this deal, and what is their relationship to those in Washington?

Think of it this way. Some company that makes these devices with strong political ties to Obama (think GE for green energy nonsense) will get this huge contract from the federal government. The firm will as always, pad every bill it sends to the government. Experience the typical delays and cost over runs, have several labor contract disputes with workers in which case the cost for the spy devices will rise even further. This will add $3,000 to the price of every new vehicle sold in the US...At that point I will go to Canada and buy cars.

This a all part of the federal government's plan to institute a "mileage tax".
Some states, Iowa for one, have floated the idea of tracking Iowa registered vehicles so that the State could tax the owner based on the mileage driven in the state.
The idea was met with an immediate backlash. Elected officials learned very quickly this idea would most likely cost them their careers in office.
Now, the federal government which has on the executive order of The Chosen One raised CAFE standard to over 50 mpg by 2025. Washington politicians seeing the possibility of a drastic reduction in fuel consumption is attempting to find ways to make up the lost revenue in fuel taxation. So the next step is to mandate tracking devices be installed in vehicles so that for one, the vehicle will be taxed on every mile driven. And of course the bonus is , the federal government can have a way to track our movements.
So where is the ACLU on this? NOWHERE.. The ACLU is not concerned with freedom. It is only concerned about cases where it can generate money for the ACLU.
Should this become law, people will find ways around it.

That mileage tax idea came out of the 2005 Highway Bill passed by Congress. The University of Iowa was commissioned to test-run the program in several states (the full test results are here). For what it's worth Obama's (Republican) Trans Sec Ray LaHood floated this idea at the beginning of the administration in 2009, and Obama slapped it down immediately.

Supposedly the idea is that current fuel per-gallon taxes have stagnated and failed to keep up with costs. It does not seem to have occurred to these brainiacs to simply raise the fuel tax; they would rather retrofit 250 million cars with spy boxes.

I made it through the first 24 pages and wanted to punch my monitor.
What the fuck kind of arrogant elitist twisted fuck even dreams of this shit.
GPS devices, fuel refilling events, boundaries...Jesus Christ it's the old Soviet Union...."your papers are not in order"......Then these fucks want to send a monthly bill. "Here. Pay this"..

Oh when a radio talk show host interviewed a person advocating his support for this was asked, "would this mileage tax be replacing fuel taxes paid at the pump?"...The spokesperson said "no. These devices would be used to collect additional revenue. That was the purpose. He also said this would discourage drivers who live near state borders where fuel was cheaper from going to an adjacent state to buy gas at a lower price to avoid their state's higher fuel tax.
So the host asked, "So in addition to a tracking device, this is also designed to collect a "toll" for moving from state to state?"
The guy went all over the place trying to explain how "you can't consider it a tracking device"..And it's not a "toll"..The host pressed further..so if the device makes a charge to cross into another state, it's not a toll?" The guest said there will not be a toll per se. But states may elect to collect tolls on their roads using these devices. He went on to say that after all if a driver does not buy fuel in a which he crosses, he is essentially using the road for free. He also said this would be a quick and inexpensive way for states to collect revenue from all out of state drivers.
Then the big one was that the new tracking and taxing device charges would be a NEW tax. That states would not be compelled to give up collecting their state fuel taxes.

The host asked the guest if he'd be willing to take calls from listeners. The guy showed some intelligence by declining the opportunity.
And rightly so..After the break, the host took calls from listeners and let me tell you ...it was almost unanimous against this idea. There were some very angry people.
In my view this is the government looking under the woman's skirt.
The very idea that the federal government would use a scare tactic like this ( drivers in crashes lying to the police about liability) to allow the government to track our every move, is not only frightening but it is outrageous.
If one is worried about the one in 10 million people that will commit insurance fraud or lie to the police about who's fault the crash was, here's a piece of advice...STAY HOME..or at least don't drive.

Yeah well you the Aussie girl should just shut up about it. You don't live here. You're not an American. You are excluded from having an opinion. We don't give a shit how you do things in your country, why do you concern yourself with our business?
What's wrong with having them in cars?...Everything. Because for every good intention, there is always a path to hell.
The ability to track the movements of citizens is a power so intoxicating, it is ripe for abuse. This is not just a privacy issue. This is a human rights issue. That is the God given right to not have the eyes of government in every aspect of our lives.
Maybe you would be willing to surrender all of your freedom for absolute security, but this nation was founded on the government fearing the people. Not the other way around.
If you are naive enough to believe such devices would be limited to the function of "crash investigator", you are living a dream world. The potential for abuse is limitless.
Americans hold a healthy distrust of government. We write laws to limit the power of government.

You make a good point - but I think if the pros outweigh the cons, then maybe they could be used on a trial basis.

Citizens would be wise to not allow such a precedent to be set.
Once government gets something, it usually will not let it go.
The typical politician would view this like a kid in a candy store.
"Oh what's this?!!! Not only can I tax I can watch what they are doing?!!!!! Oh this is perfect! KEEP IT!!!!"

they didn't even bitch this much when drugs testing was impliminted, but rwer's claim they are for individual freedoms.

a federal requirement that automakers disclose their existence in owner's manuals didn't go into effect until three months ago.

I guess at least Obama's henchmen decided to make it more available knowledge.

Really I have known about this for some time, like a decade I think? Is this news to moat folks really?

Lord, maybe longer ago...was it Alamo rent a car who made the paper for collecting on something stupid a renter did?

If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear...

Ah yes, the tenet of the Sheep Bending Over religion.

"When they came for the getaway car drivers I said nothing because I was not a getaway car driver..."

Forum List

Back