Change! Black boxes in cars may soon be mandatory

Go buy Progressive Insurance

]

I guess you miss the difference where the Progressive monitor is a voluntary device, where with a built in black box, the monitoring may be made mandatory via law.

Give me one I can unplug at will, then fine, It can be installed in the car I buy.

It could work to your advantage in an accident and prove that your driving was not at fault. It could also be used to contradict eyewitnesses who claim you were speeding or reckless

I trust my own driving and would like to have the evidence supporting me
That is what they made dash mountable cameras for.

It could work to your advantage in an accident and prove that your driving was not at fault. It could also be used to contradict eyewitnesses who claim you were speeding or reckless

Thats your choice. Notice the word choice. If its an optional item, then yippie. The second the DMV's make it manatory I'm going to limit my purchases to cars that are "grandfathered" in.

DMV doesn't have to make it mandatory

It just takes your insurance company to say they won't cover your car unless it has a recording device to provide additional evidence at accidents

If you want to limit yourself to driving jallopies to stick it to big brother...that is your choice

Yeah right. Auto insurance can be purchased anywhere. If one company decides it will no longer cover non tracked vehicles, people will seek other companies with which to do business.

Unsafe, lying perjurers committing insurance fraud will be stopped in their tracks.

I don't have a problem with this.

Of course you won't Comrade.

You condone drivers who claim they were wearing their seatbelts in order to collect more on a claim?

Or drivers who were exceeding the speed limits by 30%, cause an accident and claim to have been driving the speed limit?

I thought cons were the truth and morality party.

The black boxes are for insurance forensics after an incident.

Now go open your blinds.

This a all part of the federal government's plan to institute a "mileage tax".
Some states, Iowa for one, have floated the idea of tracking Iowa registered vehicles so that the State could tax the owner based on the mileage driven in the state.
The idea was met with an immediate backlash. Elected officials learned very quickly this idea would most likely cost them their careers in office.
Now, the federal government which has on the executive order of The Chosen One raised CAFE standard to over 50 mpg by 2025. Washington politicians seeing the possibility of a drastic reduction in fuel consumption is attempting to find ways to make up the lost revenue in fuel taxation. So the next step is to mandate tracking devices be installed in vehicles so that for one, the vehicle will be taxed on every mile driven. And of course the bonus is , the federal government can have a way to track our movements.
So where is the ACLU on this? NOWHERE.. The ACLU is not concerned with freedom. It is only concerned about cases where it can generate money for the ACLU.
Should this become law, people will find ways around it.

Car Black Boxes Raise Privacy Concerns

Since Obama is prez this will be okay, right? Remember the hissies libs threw over libraries and the patriot act?

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) first began studying Event Data Recorders (EDR) in 1998, during the Clinton administration. That study eventually culminated in a ruling (49 CFR Part 563) which standardized the recorders and the events they recorded in 2006, during the Bush administration. At the time of that ruling, NHTSA declined to make the installation of EDR's mandatory as they expected 85% of vehicles to have them by 2010. However, they promised to revisit that issue if voluntary installation did not meet their goal.

The point of all this is to once again point out to the Obamaphobes that Barack Obama is not solely responsible for everything you don't like.
Is it law yet? NO....So whomever institutes this insanity will bear the responsibility on their own.

Unsafe, lying perjurers committing insurance fraud will be stopped in their tracks.

You condone drivers who claim they were wearing their seatbelts in order to collect more on a claim?

Or drivers who were exceeding the speed limits by 30%, cause an accident and claim to have been driving the speed limit?

Now go open your blinds.

I support personal freedom and responsibility Comrade. I also support prosecuting dirtbags that defraud insurance companies. What I DON'T support is ANY entity, whether private or govt, keeping track of every citizens movements. You of course are all right with that, maybe you should move to North Korea Comrade. By the way, Accident Investagators within the Various PD's can tell how fast you were going and most other things when there is an accident, including whether you had a belt on or not.

Last edited:

Now go open your blinds.

I support personal freedom and responsibility Comrade. I also support prosecuting dirtbags that defraud insurance companies. What I DON'T support is ANY entity, whether private or govt, keeping track of every citizens movements. You of course are all right with that, maybe you should move to North Korea Comrade. By the way, Accident Investagators within the Various PD's can tell how fast you were going and most other things when there is an accident, including whether you had a belt on or not.

Actually, I belong in the USA more than you. I actually practice freedom for all while you want to exile those who don't agree with you.

THAT makes YOU the Comrade.

Now go open your blinds.

Actually, I belong in the USA more than you. I actually practice freedom for all while you want to exile those who don't agree with you.

THAT makes YOU the Comrade.

Whatever you say Comrade.

This a all part of the federal government's plan to institute a "mileage tax".
Some states, Iowa for one, have floated the idea of tracking Iowa registered vehicles so that the State could tax the owner based on the mileage driven in the state.
The idea was met with an immediate backlash. Elected officials learned very quickly this idea would most likely cost them their careers in office.
Now, the federal government which has on the executive order of The Chosen One raised CAFE standard to over 50 mpg by 2025. Washington politicians seeing the possibility of a drastic reduction in fuel consumption is attempting to find ways to make up the lost revenue in fuel taxation. So the next step is to mandate tracking devices be installed in vehicles so that for one, the vehicle will be taxed on every mile driven. And of course the bonus is , the federal government can have a way to track our movements.
So where is the ACLU on this? NOWHERE.. The ACLU is not concerned with freedom. It is only concerned about cases where it can generate money for the ACLU.
Should this become law, people will find ways around it.

States have been doing that to big trucks for years.

It's WAY past the time to oppose that.

Thats your choice. Notice the word choice. If its an optional item, then yippie. The second the DMV's make it manatory I'm going to limit my purchases to cars that are "grandfathered" in.

DMV doesn't have to make it mandatory

It just takes your insurance company to say they won't cover your car unless it has a recording device to provide additional evidence at accidents

If you want to limit yourself to driving jalopies to stick it to big brother...that is your choice

Sure, I'll take a "jalopy" like this: (Actually, my truck is, visually, a dead ringer for that one exceot for mirrors, wheels, and not having the extra chrome.)
1297122786_164786006_3-1979-Ford-F-350-Lariat-4x4-Trucks-Commercial-Vehicles.jpg

And one of these, though preferably not in this color:
72charger_rallye.jpg

Ov couirse, my wife already HAS one of these:
p97531_image_large.jpg

Neither do I Kiki if it meant MY rates went down for being a safe and responsible driver. Much of my work revolves around driving so I have to drive as if my life and job depended on it because it does. GPS in many vehicles is a way of life for some employees. We are monitored in many aspects of our lives already.

My issue is when the rewards for being a good safe driver are not recognized in my bill. I have a perfect driving record but the rates are very high here because of bad drivers. They get surcharged heavily for moving violations but I don't think the ins. companies pass enough of the money they take with higher premiums to those of us who are good drivers.

I see more of a loss loss when insurance companies have a chance to "monitor" us.

I am curious. How many here drive the speed limit or under always?

The operative word is could. Forgive me if I suspect a huge insurance corporation isn't coming up with this crap just so they can save us money. Anybody who lets them set up one of these is selling out the rest of us.

If you wear a tin foil hat, the black boxes will not be able to read your thoughts

So do you want a recording device placed in your vehicle?

Well it seems you folks didn't mind when ol Bush started listening through our phone calls and reading our email.

Didja?

Where did you think that was gonna stop, eh?

Like hell I didn't bitch when the Bush admin began allowing the monitoring of phone calls and emails! I was opposed to the Patriot Act from day one as well. I always said... I don't care what Bush is telling you today, someday there will be a President who abuses the power (and I'd name Hillary Clinton as a likely candidate) and then what will all you supporters say? Instead of Hillary, we got Barack. Slippery slope or not, those who control the government are gradually removing the protections we once had against an intrusive government. Soon we are going to wake up and find that we have no freedoms to fight for any longer.

Immie

Last edited:
So do you want a recording device placed in your vehicle?

Well it seems you folks didn't mind when ol Bush started listening through our phone calls and reading our email.

Didja?

Where did you think that was gonna stop, eh?

Like hell I didn't bitch when the Bush admin began allowing the monitoring of phone calls and emails! I was opposed to the Patriot Act from day one as well. I always said... I don't care what Bush is telling you today, someday there will be a President who abuses the power (and I'd name Hillary Clinton as a likely candidate) and then what will all you supporters say? Instead of Hillary, we got Barack. Slippery slope or not, those who control the government are gradually removing the protections we once had against an intrusive government. Soon we are going to wake up and find that we have no freedoms to fight for any longer.

Immie

You are one of the few that was against that stuff.

:clap2:

Forum List

Back