Championship team photo scrutinized

hylandrdet

Oct 5, 2004
Tennessee
http://nusports.collegesports.com/sports/w-lacros/spec-rel/071305aab.html

Two days ago on ABC's "The View" the group discussed an unsual photo involving Northwestern's National Champion Woman's Lacross team and President GW.

What was so unusual about it? The footgear.

Despite being well dressed and smiling for the photos, it appears that some of the players on the team decided to execute a form of a silent protest to the war in Iraq by wearing flip-flops, instead of regular shoes, to the photo shoot.

:rotflmao:

Oh, that was both too easy and too funny!

05-w-lax-team-450w.jpg

Wow!!! flip-flops now that's a statement. :rolleyes:

A more noticable statement was when John Elway snubbed the President in order to play golf after winning the Superbowl. (I think we all remember who the President was then....)

You just never know:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/showcase/sns-ap-flip-flop-flap,1,236041.story
chicagotribune.com >> News
Athletes spark White House flip-flop flap

By Associated Press
Published July 19, 2005

CHICAGO -- There's a flip-flop controversy at the White House, and this one has nothing to do with President Bush and John Kerry.

A photo of Northwestern University's national championship women's lacrosse team, taken during the athletes' visit to the White House last week, shows four of the nine women in the front row wearing flip-flop sandals along with their dresses and skirts.

The choice of footwear has prompted a mini-controversy -- a flip-flop flap, if you will.

A front-page story in the Chicago Tribune included the headline "YOU WORE FLIP-FLOPS TO THE WHITE HOUSE?!" inspired by an e-mail sent to player Kate Darmody from her older brother after he saw the photo on the team's Web site.

Family members of other players expressed similar dismay, insisting the summer footwear staple was too casual for a visit with the president.

"Don't even ask me about the flip-flops," said the mother of player Aly Josephs. "It mortified me."

During an appearance Monday on NBC's "Today," Darmody and teammate Shelby Chlopak said players planned to auction off the flip-flops they wore to the White House, with the proceeds to go toward a fund for a 10-year-old girl with a brain tumor.

The women have defended their attire, arguing they wore a dressier version of the casual sandal.

"Nobody was wearing old beach flip-flops," said Josephs, who wore a $16 brown pair with rhinestones.

Darmody, 22, added: "I tried to think of something that would go well with my outfit and at the same time not be that uncomfortable. But at the same time not disrespect the White House."

In 2001, Bush's daughter Jenna, then 19, wore black flip-flops in court, along with pink capri pants and a sleeveless black shirt, when she pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge of being a minor in possession of alcohol.

The term "flip-flop" was used heavily during last fall's presidential debates when Bush repeatedly accused Democratic opponent Kerry of switching positions on issues.

* __

On the Net:

Team site: http://nusports.collegesports.com/sports/w-lacros/nw-w-lacros-body.html

hylandrdet said:
http://nusports.collegesports.com/sports/w-lacros/spec-rel/071305aab.html

Two days ago on ABC's "The View" the group discussed an unsual photo involving Northwestern's National Champion Woman's Lacross team and President GW.

What was so unusual about it? The footgear.

Despite being well dressed and smiling for the photos, it appears that some of the players on the team decided to execute a form of a silent protest to the war in Iraq by wearing flip-flops, instead of regular shoes, to the photo shoot.

:rotflmao:

Oh, that was both too easy and too funny!
If you hadn't pointed it out, I doubt too many would have noticed. Especially with all those smiles on their faces.

I recall a time when the father of a soldier killed oveseas refused to shake the hand of the president when visiting the White House. Oh wait, my bad. That was a different president.

freeandfun1 said:
Sounds like another manufactured protest by the left... nothing to it, they just tried to make something out of it. Sounds pretty typical.

Opportunistic, no doubt.

MtnBiker said:
The very left girl has a red braclet on, she must be a PETA member and is protesting the consumption of meat.

:laugh:

So, was this a slow news day or something? Is that the most "controversial" thing that happened?
There was a story about a decade or so ago that mentioned how a few members of the NCAA champion womens swimming team did not wear undies when they met Clinton at the White House. :blah2:

no1tovote4 said:
A more noticable statement was when John Elway snubbed the President in order to play golf after winning the Superbowl. (I think we all remember who the President was then....)

How about when Mark Chmura from the Packers refused to attend when Clinton honored the Pack at the White House, citing Clinton's "immorality". Then Chmura got caught in a hot tub with a bunch of teenage girls and was arrested and tried for rape. Hey at least Monica was age of consent!

There was a story about a decade or so ago that mentioned how a few members of the NCAA champion womens swimming team did not wear undies when they met Clinton at the White House.

Yeah, but that was a personal request.

I was thinking that they had intern interviews after the ceremony. :boobies:

nucular said:
How about when Mark Chmura from the Packers refused to attend when Clinton honored the Pack at the White House, citing Clinton's "immorality". Then Chmura got caught in a hot tub with a bunch of teenage girls and was arrested and tried for rape. Hey at least Monica was age of consent!

LOL.

Chmura. I forgot all about him.

Gabriella84 said:
:laugh:

So, was this a slow news day or something? Is that the most "controversial" thing that happened?
There was a story about a decade or so ago that mentioned how a few members of the NCAA champion womens swimming team did not wear undies when they met Clinton at the White House. :blah2:

I understand he handed out cigars to the team that day.

Forum List

Back