Chafee in 'Holiday' Tree Debate

Therein lies the "rub". The good Governor is saying that we need to call it a Holiday Tree. Yet when O'Reilly pressed him, he could not articulate a reason why.

Who's we? He said his state government is going to call it a holiday tree. You are still welcome to call it a Christmas tree.

Let's not play semantics. You're better than that. Did you watch the video? Why couldn't the Governor articulate clearly why he was right and O'Reilly was wrong? The more pressed, the more he stumbled. I suggest that the good Governor didn't really believe what he was saying himself. It was political expediency.

Then he says Merry Christmas to sign off. :cool:

It's actually not semantics.

He's not demanding everyone stop calling it a Christmas tree.
He's not demanding a federal ban to force states to not call it a Christmas tree.

He's saying the people of my state elected me, and like my predecessors before me I'm going to call it a Holiday Tree.

If you don't like it, don't move to his state.

Chaffee is a total wuss and a poor leader. The state legislature passed a "non-binding resolution declaring the tree be called a “Christmas tree.”

Chaffee said, "when I’m representing all of Rhode Island, I have to be respectful of everyone". Not only is he an idiot, he is spineless.

Who's we? He said his state government is going to call it a holiday tree. You are still welcome to call it a Christmas tree.

Let's not play semantics. You're better than that. Did you watch the video? Why couldn't the Governor articulate clearly why he was right and O'Reilly was wrong? The more pressed, the more he stumbled. I suggest that the good Governor didn't really believe what he was saying himself. It was political expediency.

He's not demanding a federal ban to force states to not call it a Christmas tree.

He's saying the people of my state elected me, and like my predecessors before me I'm going to call it a Holiday Tree.

Ok, I'll be devil's advocate. Did he ask the people of his sate or did HE decide what he feels the people are thinking?

"Chafee said the term “Holiday” tree dates back to the 90’s with both of the past two governor’s using the term.He noted at his house he has a Christmas tree but in a public building people need to be conscious of “changing times.”

As I said, political expediency and political correctness. He's not saying he received complaints. Blatant Progressivism.

It's like pointing to worse behavior to justify bad behavior. The two Govs before did it so I will.

Last edited:
Therein lies the "rub". The good Governor is saying that we need to call it a Holiday Tree. Yet when O'Reilly pressed him, he could not articulate a reason why.
Wrong. The rub lies in the fact that YOU can call it whatever you want but if a government official endorses one religion over another, it is a violation of Separation of Church and State.

What's wrong is what you just said. The government isn't endorsing a religion unless you call a tree born out of a pagan tradition a religion.

Where's the violation?
You don't get it, do you? Calling the tree a name born out of a pagan tradition would then be an endorsement of paganism. This is where religious folks lose the argument every time. Government must remain NEUTRAL with all aspects of religion, including atheism.

Wrong. The rub lies in the fact that YOU can call it whatever you want but if a government official endorses one religion over another, it is a violation of Separation of Church and State.

What's wrong is what you just said. The government isn't endorsing a religion unless you call a tree born out of a pagan tradition a religion.

Where's the violation?
You don't get it, do you? Calling the tree a name born out of a pagan tradition would then be an endorsement of paganism. This is where religious folks lose the argument every time. Government must remain NEUTRAL with all aspects of religion, including atheism.

And a Christmas tree is not a religious symbol so how does that play into your reply? And when I said born out of I am referring to the idea of the entire tradition which was explained here earlier I believe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_tree

Last edited:
You are just like the other tough guys on here behind the monitor.
Throwing insults around and using your big guy language.
As I have stated before trading insults with little boys like you would be like fighting a one-armed man.
Take all your little crying ways and waste them on someone you might really thinks you have something of value to say.
Call it a christmas tree if you want no one else has to call it one.

Response: Put your own whiny ass on the front line somewhere.

The only ones I know who give a fuck are angry right-wing Christians... Angry about the fact that the world doesn't fit in their nice, neat little box.

The hell with a few centuries of tradition. Throw it the fuck out. Some whiny little piss-ant, shit-assed lib doesn't like it so let's blame it all on right wing Christians.

How about growing some balls and instead say to the few whiners, the majority here like calling it a Christmas tree. It's not a religious symbol so you folks can call it what you like among yourselves but officially it remains a Christmas tree.

Can't do that right? You can't say why we can't but we just can't ...because.

You know how stupid you sound?

Hey let's change Christmas to Holiday Day. Let's also change Independence Day to Inclusive America Day, dope!

Progressive is just another name for "Do It My Way" or else we'll act like crybabies and ruin it for all. We demand our way because WE say so.

Same shit every year. 'I don't want to call it a Christmas Tree. It offends me." We ought to send your whiny progressive asses over to a foxhole hole somewhere. That way you'll have something to really bitch about.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Hey dummy, don't pull that I served shit with me. I did as well. Posted it here and just recently in detail...so fuck that argument eh, Asswipe?

P.S. Learn how to reply so as not to fuck up the thread, Gomer.[/QUOTE]

You are just like the other tough guys on here behind the monitor.
Throwing insults around and using your big guy language.
As I have stated before trading insults with little boys like you would be like fighting a one-armed man.
Take all your little crying ways and waste them on someone you might really thinks you have something of value to say.
Call it a christmas tree if you want no one else has to call it one.

Response: Put your own whiny ass on the front line somewhere.

The only ones I know who give a fuck are angry right-wing Christians... Angry about the fact that the world doesn't fit in their nice, neat little box.

The hell with a few centuries of tradition. Throw it the fuck out. Some whiny little piss-ant, shit-assed lib doesn't like it so let's blame it all on right wing Christians.

How about growing some balls and instead say to the few whiners, the majority here like calling it a Christmas tree. It's not a religious symbol so you folks can call it what you like among yourselves but officially it remains a Christmas tree.

Can't do that right? You can't say why we can't but we just can't ...because.

You know how stupid you sound?

Hey let's change Christmas to Holiday Day. Let's also change Independence Day to Inclusive America Day, dope!

Progressive is just another name for "Do It My Way" or else we'll act like crybabies and ruin it for all. We demand our way because WE say so.

Same shit every year. 'I don't want to call it a Christmas Tree. It offends me." We ought to send your whiny progressive asses over to a foxhole hole somewhere. That way you'll have something to really bitch about.
[/QUOTE]

Hey dummy, don't pull that I served shit with me. I did as well. Posted it here and just recently in detail...so fuck that argument eh, Asswipe?

P.S. Learn how to reply so as not to fuck up the thread, Gomer.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Stomp your feet too? Penis size issue? Why do I ask? Because I no way pretended to be a tough guy but only a person with inferiority issues would think that I was. You don't like directness, go play in the Clean Zone.

You're the tool that brought up, "did you serve"? Yet in your warped mind, I'm the tough guy. Idiot! Then you mention being behind the monitor? A shit ass like you is probably lucky I am behind a monitor. Now you want to look like a jerk and accuse me of anything else that isn't true.

remember they are the majority till someone doesn't do what they want and they then become a minority victim. Thats having things forced down their throats ( their gay term not mine) by these bullies!

It's just typical of the rightwing Christian mindset: My way or the highway....exclusionary and discriminatory. Chafee is attempting to include everyone, atheists as well, during the holiday times. Figures the ignorant would get pissy about that.

Do you even read my posts. I have told you there are non-Christians and definitely non-righties who don't give a damn that the town tree is called a Christmas tree and this is all much ado about nothing appeasement for a few idiots.

I live in Massachusetts. Trust me, we are not loaded to the gills with Christian fundies or GOPers.
I'm a non-Christian and a non-rightie and I too don't give a damn that the town tree is called a Christmas tree but unlike some people, I DO give a damn that calling it a Christmas tree does offend some people and I think it best that any government sponsored activity remain neutral regarding religious endorsement.

Where's the violation?

And a Christmas tree is not a religious symbol so how does that play into your reply? And when I said born out of I am referring to the idea of the entire tradition which was explained here earlier I believe.

Christmas tree - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The tree itself is not the bone of contention here. The term "Christmas" is. What is the origin of that?

It's just typical of the rightwing Christian mindset: My way or the highway....exclusionary and discriminatory. Chafee is attempting to include everyone, atheists as well, during the holiday times. Figures the ignorant would get pissy about that.

Do you even read my posts. I have told you there are non-Christians and definitely non-righties who don't give a damn that the town tree is called a Christmas tree and this is all much ado about nothing appeasement for a few idiots.

I live in Massachusetts. Trust me, we are not loaded to the gills with Christian fundies or GOPers.
I'm a non-Christian and a non-rightie and I too don't give a damn that the town tree is called a Christmas tree but unlike some people, I DO give a damn that calling it a Christmas tree does offend some people and I think it best that any government sponsored activity remain neutral regarding religious endorsement.

That's the point. Who did it offend? Were there complaints? Had there been the Gov most certainly have stated that and right there O'Reilly would have been dead in the water. The Governor did this on his own, blamed it on two other former governors and then couldn't say why he did what he did or why it was right to do it.

That's an example of creeping Progressivism. No need to do it but figured it would slide on by. Right out of the ACLU Tactical Manual.

These "offended" people are like unnamed sources....:cool:

Last edited:

Ok, I'll be devil's advocate. Did he ask the people of his sate or did HE decide what he feels the people are thinking?

We live in a democratic republic.

He was elected, it's his call.

The tree itself is not the bone of contention here. The term "Christmas" is. What is the origin of that?

I don't know but I know that the word holiday derived from the notion of "Holy Day", and gradually evolved to its current form.

I guess by that logic people should have been okay with Hitler's call.

I don't know but I know that the word holiday derived from the notion of "Holy Day", and gradually evolved to its current form.

LOL

Well in that case, holiday tree is a winner with everyone but the atheists. Chafee really should be calling it a "Celebratory Tree" if he truly wanted to be PC.

I guess by that logic people should have been okay with Hitler's call.

I'm supised it took this long to get to Hilter. :rolleyes:

I'm done now, you can continue to whine without my assistance.

That's because you don't have an answer so your using the "I'm now done" tactic. You used it before.

The reason you knew it was coming was because you realized what you said but had hoped, I wouldn't.

Funny though how you don't have an answer.

That's the point. Who did it offend? Were there complaints? Had there been the Gov most certainly have stated that and right there O'Reilly would have been dead in the water. The Governor did this on his own, blamed it on two other former governors and then couldn't say why he did what he did or why it was right to do it.

That's an example of creeping Progressivism. No need to do it but figured it would slide on by. Right out of the ACLU Tactical Manual.

These "offended" people are like unnamed sources....:cool:
I know it is an extremely rare circumstance for government to actually do something proactive before anyone complains. Kind of surprised myself.

adolf_funny_rabbit_ears_The_funny_side_to_Hitler-s550x426-22859-580.jpg

Forum List

Back