censorship good for american morale?

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by spillmind, Nov 4, 2003.

1. spillmind

spillmind Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=3745288

i don't agree:

as quoted from dondougla:

the footage of the dead returning from the Vietnam War turned the American public against the war. Administrations have been very conscious of this since then. That's why these images are censored during wartime. The numbers are very abstract when you can't see the graphic reality of death.

CNN never reports the number of innocent civilians killed in Afghanistan either. The American public would have a problem with more than 20 other innocent lives being taken in the name of one American... I would like to believe.

The general North American public would be shocked at the information that is filtered from them. Our decisions are manipulated through the information we don't receive.

2. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    There just isn't a need to glamorize death by videotape. Casualties are available from the government and even readily available on their websites.

The only purpose this would serve is to further advance the agenda of the wacky liberals.

3. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Should we have displayed all the dead bodies retrieved from the twin towers? the pentagon? PA??? Why not display them then? you can say there is no difference there, but I seem to think it's all the same! We know soldiers and people are dying, we don't have to see them to prove that!

4. spillmind

spillmind Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    what is with this 'liberal' thing? it's driving me nuts! you don't have to be liberal to see how much all of this stinks to high hell! it's common sense, people!

i'm convinced it's a blanket cop-out when the argument runs thin. nothing else.

i for one, agree with janeen- they are no different from the 9-11 attacks, and yes, the coffins should be shown for the atrocities they are, no matter how you want to sugar coat anything!

deatn is death and should be seen for what it is. trying to hide it away, or reduce it to numbers is a disgrace to those fallen.

5. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    No, what would be a disgrace is using the coffins as a means to solidify a point. The public knows the truth concerning the amount of coalition casualties, there's no need to sensationalize it.

And common sense dictates that the bodies of US soldiers get transported with the highest degree of dignity.

6. spillmind

spillmind Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    while people like you may be well aware of the happenings, and okay with it all at the same time-

i would argue that even the most staunch couch potato bushie who watches faux news and msnbc all day would think twice with a visual.

most americans don't even have the attention span for boards like this.

and i am NOT talking about 'sensationaling' or 'glamourizing'-

i'm talking about the truth of the matter, and it is very VERY ugly.
    why the need to hide it? respect? i respectfuly disagree. i don't want the government determining what is relevant for me to see.
    their track record of late is not very impressive at all.

7. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    People don't deserve video feedback just because they are too lazy or ignorant to find out the facts.

What exactly is being hidden? Are the numbers of casualties not readily available as I stated earlier?

Yes, the deceased deserve the same amount of respect that any other US citizen would demand. How would you feel if someone came sneaking into a funeral of a loved one of yours and decided to tape it? This is simply a matter of granting privacy and dignity to the fallen soldiers and their families.

What if the soldier wished not to be paraded around in his coffin as a statistic? Why trample on the fallen soldiers just to make a point? Do you have ANY respect for our military, or more specifically, our fallen soldiers?

8. dijetlo

dijetlo Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Cool thread, guys. I thought all the posts were compelling. I would have to side with Jim and Janeeng on this one though, the question of using viceral images to garner support for a political position is counter productive, not to mention somewhat dishonest. If you would consider, Spill, how you felt about GWB playing carrier pilot and why you thought that to be singularly innapropriate considering the gravity of the matters at hand, you can understand that because I agree with you about that, I have to disagree with you about this.

9. spillmind

spillmind Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    'Yes, the deceased deserve the same amount of respect that any other US citizen would demand. How would you feel if someone came sneaking into a funeral of a loved one of yours and decided to tape it? This is simply a matter of granting privacy and dignity to the fallen soldiers and their families.'

your analagy here is lacking, there are different circumstances, and these have very real implications on every american ans iraqis lives at present. if someone in my family died and it was relevant to such a cause, you better believe there would be press there to catch it! why not?!

'What if the soldier wished not to be paraded around in his coffin as a statistic? Why trample on the fallen soldiers just to make a point? Do you have ANY respect for our military, or more specifically, our fallen soldiers?'

ok, you are really reaching on this one. you would need a mass joint (grim) statement on this... and i really wonder how they would view it as the living.

i respect our people doing their jobs in iraq, but i have ZERO respect for the politicians waging this 'war'!! what have i *ever* posted to make you think differently?

and if you think mere numbers carry the same gravity as a five second clip of a fraction of the bodies, you are sadly mistaked. who are you to judge if that visual is appropriate or not?!

why not report it as it happens? you are trying to make a blanket statement for all those fallen, and i am just not buying it. how would you feel if an equal amount WANTED us to see that footage?

my government is not something i look to to be my moral guiding light, and i hope you don't!

10. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Here lies the problem. It's not a matter of who wants to see it and who doesn't, it's a simple matter of respect for the deceased. Your need for visual stimuli doesn't supersede the need to give soldiers killed in action their dignity.