Cell Phones and the Law

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by barry1960, Apr 18, 2012.

1. barry1960

barry1960 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +85
    A 20 year old woman was at a stop sign astride a motorcycle one mile from my house four nights ago. A driver manipulating a cell ran the stop sign with no evidence of slow done and in the process ran over the top of her. The young woman was killed. No arrest was made on the driver of the pick up truck.

Two days ago a friend of ours was ticketed for using a cell phone. She had pulled over to the curb and parked her care. The law allows for ticketing a driver in a car even if the car is parked.

This shows two extremes of the cell phone issue. Pulling your car off the road to use your cell phone seems sensible. However killing someone while operating a cell phone should have serious consequences. Personally I feel that using this device while driving is little better than DUI. Sadly, such behavior is common place in my city.

2. inALIENable

inALIENable BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36
    There's no common sense anymore. America is seriously broken and doomed. The only way out of this mess is civil war. Split up the nation and start over. A nation for each whateverism.

3. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    The addiction runs deep.

Texting Kills!

4. Peach

Peach Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,965
    I read one study that said cell phone use while driving is as dangerous as drunk driving; I DO NOT KNOW if all stats back this up. I KNOW I've narrowly avoided fender benders with cell phone freaks.

5. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Look for a rise in civil suits over cell phone use related deaths.

6. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Prediction.
    Cell phone addiction will have long term negative consequences on our society.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Peach

Peach Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,965
    Banned in one Federal courthouse I go to; banned in courtrooms in many.

8. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,720
    This is a true story. Five years ago, my wife was a Hospice Nurse. She was enroute to one of her patients house at just before midnight. A young 18 year old boy was driving his car at 74 mph and texting. He crossed the center line and ran into my wife's car head on. The boy was instantly killed. My wife was flown by helo to a nearby trauma center. She was in the hospital for 31 days and had 5 major ortho surgeries. Then in a local nursing home for 2 1/2 months for rehab and to learn to walk again. Today, she walks with a limp, has constant pain, and is nowhere near as active as she once was. It was all because of a kid texting on a cell phone and not watching his driving. Yes, texting does kill. It also ruins other peoples lives.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  9. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,789
    No offense Barry but I think your story is B.S. Whether or not the guy in the pickup was talking on the cell phone or not he is guilty of vehicular homicide if he ran a stop sign and killed somebody and you say they didn't arrest him?

10. Peach

Peach Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,965
    Sad, this is tragic. I'm in favor of a law banning them while driving in Florida. I've seen too many close calls, one death in my community wherein the cell using driver didn't see a vehicle on an entrance ramp to the interstate.