CBS' Nancy Drew Will Be Diverse

Nancy Drew won't really be Nancy Drew. She will be a black woman with the same name. Otherwise the tv show and the books will have norhing to do with one another.

Nancy Drew won't really be Nancy Drew. She will be a black woman with the same name. Otherwise the tv show and the books will have norhing to do with one another.
Or some other ethnicity - anything but Caucasian, according to the article.
From what I understand, ND has been described pretty much the same way in every story since 1930 - around 16-18 years old (depending on the era of the story) and having red-blond hair and blue eyes.
I have no problem with the age increase and the subsequent situational changes. It just provides an opportunity to expand the story further than it could go in the books.
I do have a problem when someone wants to totally trash 85 years of canon, just because they don't want to take the chance of "offending" someone.

I heard that a sequel to Roots was going to be made and Kunta Kinte was going to a white dude.

I heard that a sequel to Roots was going to be made and Kunta Kinte was going to a white dude.
Okay, that confirms my suspicions about you Freewill, you're supremely evil.... congratulations you're my new hero. :)

"God isn't interested in technology. He cares nothing for the microchip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time, forty-three species of parrots! Nipples for men!" -- Evil, Time Bandits

From what I understand, ND has been described pretty much the same way in every story since 1930 - around 16-18 years old (depending on the era of the story) and having red-blond hair and blue eyes.
I have no problem with the age increase and the subsequent situational changes. It just provides an opportunity to expand the story further than it could go in the books.
I do have a problem when someone wants to totally trash 85 years of canon, just because they don't want to take the chance of "offending" someone.
It expands the story until it's a different story. It's not a teenage girl, it's a woman in her 30s. She's not white. She's something else. She isn't an amateur sleuth, she's a detective in a big city police department.

At which point does it lose the story?

Okay, that confirms my suspicions about you Freewill, you're supremely evil.... congratulations you're my new hero. :)

"God isn't interested in technology. He cares nothing for the microchip or the silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time, forty-three species of parrots! Nipples for men!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
I don't think he's evil so much as just not thinking. I'm not sure that trying to update Nancy Drew is really a winner, as even Emma Roberts couldn't breath in life. But the books have undergone changes through the decades and eliminated racial stereotypes found in the original incarnation of the series, so this is not .... earthshaking. It's not like they made Hermione black or something. (-:

Yes. Instead of Kunta Kinte, he will be Ragnar. Instead of African slaves, it will be Viking raiders. It will still be Roots though.

It expands the story until it's a different story. It's not a teenage girl, it's a woman in her 30s. She's not white. She's something else. She isn't an amateur sleuth, she's a detective in a big city police department.

They had her go off to college and find a boyfriend in the books.

Could someone explain to me why this is discrimination and/or racism?
[FONT=RobotoTHR, sans-serif]CBS' Nancy Drew Will Be Diverse[/FONT]
CBS Entertainment president Glenn Geller revealed Tuesday that the network's reimagining of the iconic character will be diverse.
"She is diverse, that is the way she is written," the executive toldTHR immediately following his time in front of the press at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour Tuesday. While Geller said it was too early in the process to explain just what he meant by diverse — whether Nancy is African-American, Asian-American or Latino, he said it would hinge on finding the right actress for the part. "[She will] not [be] Caucasian," he stressed. "I'd be open to any ethnicity."

And it will be an abject failure.

The way that they're trying to do it does lose the story.
I can think of several ways that the story could possibly be maintained, such as by flashbacks, family, and supporting characters for example, but changing the ethnicity of the main character definitely isn't one of them.

They had her go off to college and find a boyfriend in the books.

Perfect story line. She goes off to college, meets a man from an Indonesia country, marries him, has a baby, the father flees the country, and the baby grows up raised by grandparent to be President. Hits every ethnic group, should make everyone happy.

Of course it will be an abject failure. Whatever made the series interesting and attractive won't be there any more.

In all fairness, he didn't say the new Drew would be black, he only said she wouldn't be white. Which if said about a black would have BLM rioting.

Let's face it this is about cashing in on the ND franchise. And I don't really have a problem with it. One has to wonder, however, just how far from the premise of the originals it's to stray. I mean the appeal was always that she was a "teen" sleuth. But hey, why not. Who knows if it catches on maybe it will reignite some interest in the original.

Little know fact...

... Star Trek was the first TV show to introduce diversity...

... the first inter-racial kiss on TV was between Uhuru...

... and Capt. Kirk.

Little know fact...

... and Capt. Kirk.
Kirk had no problem with women of other races including green orion women.

Could someone explain to me why this is discrimination and/or racism?
[FONT=RobotoTHR, sans-serif]CBS' Nancy Drew Will Be Diverse[/FONT]
CBS Entertainment president Glenn Geller revealed Tuesday that the network's reimagining of the iconic character will be diverse.
"She is diverse, that is the way she is written," the executive toldTHR immediately following his time in front of the press at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour Tuesday. While Geller said it was too early in the process to explain just what he meant by diverse — whether Nancy is African-American, Asian-American or Latino, he said it would hinge on finding the right actress for the part. "[She will] not [be] Caucasian," he stressed. "I'd be open to any ethnicity."
Will she have a penis? Don't diss the liberal icons....yo

Little know fact...

... and Capt. Kirk.
Kirk had no problem with women of other races including green orion women.
And yet the only black woman was the one answering the space phone.

Forum List

Back