Catholics are Christians?

If god wants my love, he just has to come and get it. With something tangible as proof. And a book won't cut it.

How funny. When I was a toddler with my little picture books of Bible stories written for children, the conclusion I drew from them was, "People can have meet God! I want to be like one of those people who actually run into God, not just someone who believes in God." My own faith, seeking, knocking, asking took the better part of a decade. Many adults don't seem to want to commit that amount of time and effort. Their attitude is not one of a child, of "This is possible!" Instead, they shrug and take on the attitude, "If God wants me, He can come and get me!"

God can wait. He has an eternity. On the other hand, we have less than a century. Scripture tells us that it makes no difference if we choose to seek God when we are children, or very late in our lives.
Scripture is a load of make up malarkey, I need some real proof. Anyone can write a book.

Prove it. Write scripture.
I don't write fairy tales.

If God proves himself real to me, I'd believe. I live a pretty good life, so not really much if anything to change. Well, except give money to a church to be let into heaven.

That's not what relationship with and believe in God is about.
It's about realizing it is all about HIM. You think it's selfish, but to someone that knows God, it's an HONOR to live your life for Him and His Kingdom. Not only that, live is more FULFILLING and MEANINGFUL living as a Christian - live for God. Because a Christian knows life is eternal and our time on this earth is but a millisecond. A small sacrifice to make to live for Him during this tiny time of our life.

People give money to the Church for Evangelism and of course, salaries and building upkeep etc.

God wants your heart and your loyalty. And most of all - your love.
What were you doing 13 billion years before you were born? Why would you believe it will be any different after you die?

Dwelling with God. I expect it to be the same after I die.
Imagine how many humans have lived and died since humans evolved into modern humans. Billions or trillions.

What are you and god doing? How often do you two hang out? Is it like a cult?

What do the amount of people who have lived have to do with anything?

It doesn't change reality. We dwelt with Him before our births, we can continue to dwell with Him after we die and rise again.
Sounds a lot more like wishful thinking and superstition to me.

Just like we don't mind Islam as long as its not killing us, I guess I'm OK with you Christians as long as you aren't shooting up abortion clinics. You are free to believe whatever you want. Just don't assume everyone believes what you do.

If the Jesus story is so obvious, how come Jews and Muslims don't convert? The only difference between us is you believe in one more God than I do.

I can find my TV and can see and touch it. Making it real.
Or are you trying to say that God works by remote control buttons?

I'm suggesting you not give up.
Give up waiting for God to contact me? Well, I'm not holding my breath or anything...

I wouldn't recommend holding your breath either. Until you are willing to experiment on the Word and sincerely seek God with a desire to serve Him when you find Him, He is not going to reveal Himself to you.

But you will be held accountable for your choices. You will be held accountable for what you could have known if you simply put in the effort. It's amazing though how accurately prophets have described exactly your attitude.

When you and I talk to people about faith and belief, don’t we often hear, “I wish I could believe the way you do”?

Implied in such a statement is another of Satan’s deceptions: that belief is available to some people but not to others. There is no magic to belief. But wanting to believe is the necessary first step! God is no respecter of persons.6 He is your Father. He wants to speak to you. However, it requires a little scientific curiosity—it requires an experiment upon the word of God—and the exercise of a “particle of faith.”7 It also takes a little humility. And it requires an open heart and an open mind. It requires seeking, in the full meaning of the word. And, perhaps hardest of all, it requires being patient and waiting upon the Lord.

If we make no effort to believe, we are like the man who unplugs a spotlight and then blames the spotlight for not giving any light.

Recently I was surprised and saddened to hear of an Aaronic Priesthood bearer who seemed to take pride in the fact that he had distanced himself from God. He said, “If God reveals Himself to me, then I will believe. Until then, I will find the truth relying on my own understanding and intellect to light the way before me.”

I don’t know this young man’s heart, but I couldn’t help but feel terribly sorry for him. How easily he rejected the gifts the Lord was offering him. This young man had unplugged the spotlight and then seemed self-satisfied in his clever observation that there was no light.

Unfortunately, this seems to be quite a popular attitude today. If we can put the burden of proof on God, we think we can excuse ourselves from taking God’s commandments seriously and from taking responsibility for our relationship with our Heavenly Father. (Be not afraid, only believe)
I sincerely seeked and believed in god for over 30 years. Sorry I woke up. You know what did it? The internet.

How the Internet Is Taking Away America’s Religion | MIT Technology Review

You gave up. Doesn't mean God isn't real
Doesn't mean he is either. Or do you have any proof that an invisible person made the universe in 6 days?

I'm suggesting you not give up.
Give up waiting for God to contact me? Well, I'm not holding my breath or anything...

I wouldn't recommend holding your breath either. Until you are willing to experiment on the Word and sincerely seek God with a desire to serve Him when you find Him, He is not going to reveal Himself to you.

But you will be held accountable for your choices. You will be held accountable for what you could have known if you simply put in the effort. It's amazing though how accurately prophets have described exactly your attitude.

When you and I talk to people about faith and belief, don’t we often hear, “I wish I could believe the way you do”?

Implied in such a statement is another of Satan’s deceptions: that belief is available to some people but not to others. There is no magic to belief. But wanting to believe is the necessary first step! God is no respecter of persons.6 He is your Father. He wants to speak to you. However, it requires a little scientific curiosity—it requires an experiment upon the word of God—and the exercise of a “particle of faith.”7 It also takes a little humility. And it requires an open heart and an open mind. It requires seeking, in the full meaning of the word. And, perhaps hardest of all, it requires being patient and waiting upon the Lord.

If we make no effort to believe, we are like the man who unplugs a spotlight and then blames the spotlight for not giving any light.

Recently I was surprised and saddened to hear of an Aaronic Priesthood bearer who seemed to take pride in the fact that he had distanced himself from God. He said, “If God reveals Himself to me, then I will believe. Until then, I will find the truth relying on my own understanding and intellect to light the way before me.”

I don’t know this young man’s heart, but I couldn’t help but feel terribly sorry for him. How easily he rejected the gifts the Lord was offering him. This young man had unplugged the spotlight and then seemed self-satisfied in his clever observation that there was no light.

Unfortunately, this seems to be quite a popular attitude today. If we can put the burden of proof on God, we think we can excuse ourselves from taking God’s commandments seriously and from taking responsibility for our relationship with our Heavenly Father. (Be not afraid, only believe)
I sincerely seeked and believed in god for over 30 years. Sorry I woke up. You know what did it? The internet.

How the Internet Is Taking Away America’s Religion | MIT Technology Review

You gave up. Doesn't mean God isn't real
Doesn't mean he is either. Or do you have any proof that an invisible person made the universe in 6 days?
The explanation they give for that is maybe 1 day to God is a billion to us. But then he should have said that. But maybe monkey Adam could only count to 7.

Or maybe like every other religion its all embellished.

Religious people here have often said human beings need to be religious or they would do evil things so maybe the leaders of the people back then made up religion and the stories to back them up because they thought we needed it otherwise we would do bad things. Churches were part of the royal families. No God talked to any of them.

I guess it's hard for atheists to stay quiet when religious people speak of him as a fact. For thousands of years we had to stay quiet. Still have to in the Arab world. All God fearing people would chop my head off if they could.

If God proves himself real to me, I'd believe. I live a pretty good life, so not really much if anything to change. Well, except give money to a church to be let into heaven.

It's about realizing it is all about HIM. You think it's selfish, but to someone that knows God, it's an HONOR to live your life for Him and His Kingdom. Not only that, live is more FULFILLING and MEANINGFUL living as a Christian - live for God. Because a Christian knows life is eternal and our time on this earth is but a millisecond. A small sacrifice to make to live for Him during this tiny time of our life.

People give money to the Church for Evangelism and of course, salaries and building upkeep etc.

What were you doing 13 billion years before you were born? Why would you believe it will be any different after you die?

personally I expect it to involve more fly fishing and body surfing.......
Fly fishing in hell, now that's a new one. :lol:
it would be.......I will be fly fishing on the new earth......

If god wants my love, he just has to come and get it. With something tangible as proof. And a book won't cut it.

How funny. When I was a toddler with my little picture books of Bible stories written for children, the conclusion I drew from them was, "People can have meet God! I want to be like one of those people who actually run into God, not just someone who believes in God." My own faith, seeking, knocking, asking took the better part of a decade. Many adults don't seem to want to commit that amount of time and effort. Their attitude is not one of a child, of "This is possible!" Instead, they shrug and take on the attitude, "If God wants me, He can come and get me!"

God can wait. He has an eternity. On the other hand, we have less than a century. Scripture tells us that it makes no difference if we choose to seek God when we are children, or very late in our lives.
Scripture is a load of make up malarkey, I need some real proof. Anyone can write a book.

that's not true.......I've read your posts......

I hope they have tennis courts
Wine
And plenty of board and card games....

Ok, so now you've made yourself a new planet to go to. :disbelief:

that's not true.......I've read your posts......
You must be looking in your troll mirror again. :lol:

Wine
So you hope that it's like an old folks home? :D

Wine

Pretty much! But healthy old folks, and non-confrontational types - only the "fun" and "optimistic" are allowed :)

Wine

Pretty much! But healthy old folks, and non-confrontational types - only the "fun" and "optimistic" are allowed :)
Who will you debate then?

You wouldn't appreciate sunny days if there were no rainy days. You wouldn't appreciate the summer if you didn't have to suffer through the winter.

Wine

You wouldn't appreciate sunny days if there were no rainy days. You wouldn't appreciate the summer if you didn't have to suffer through the winter.

Well in Heaven I don't think it works like that.
I think it's all about God, and, I think everyone is very content living for God and in His Glory.
We don't like to do that here on Earth because we are in a sinful state. Selfish and self absorbed.
Maybe not even about your own selves but humans in general.
Putting them above our Creator. It's selfish.

Wine

I think it's all about God, and, I think everyone is very content living for God and in His Glory.
We don't like to do that here on Earth because we are in a sinful state. Selfish and self absorbed.
What state do you live in? Michigan?

Wine

What state do you live in? Michigan?

People in Michigan believe that too?

No I'm in the South (surprise surprise!) - but not that far south... :)

Wine

I do believe in being humble and having humility.

Forum List

Back