catholic church attempting to silence stories on its pedos

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by blu, Apr 2, 2010.

1. blu

blu Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +774
  2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Hmmm, from the link:

As a Catholic I've found the behavior of the church very bad in handling and covering up the crimes of the past and some not so distant past. There's no defense for it.

However my position is pretty close to this:

Today, On Good Friday, Here's Why I Remain Catholic : NPR

3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
  4. critter

critter BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Not sure who really telling the truth but i beleive the guys are... i don't think they be lying for anything for this... the women are a joke never mind them..

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,165
    Cant imagine why catholics wouldnt want more stories printed. Im sure they just love negative publicity.

6. asaratis

asaratis Uppity Senior Citizen Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,525
    Now who would have thought a nice Jewish girl would write badly of the Catholic Church?...around Easter Sunday?

I'll be right back.

7. asaratis

asaratis Uppity Senior Citizen Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,525
    Jewish Sam Miller on Catholics

Excerpts of an article written by non-Catholic Sam Miller - a prominent Cleveland Jewish businessman:

"Why would newspapers carry on a vendetta on one of the most important institutions that we have today in the United States , namely the Catholic Church?

Do you know - the Catholic Church educates 2.6 million students everyday at the cost to that Church of 10 billion dollars, and a savings on the other hand to the American taxpayer of 18 billion dollars. The graduates go on to graduate studies at the rate of 92%.

The Church has 230 colleges and universities in the U.S. with an enrollment of 700,000 students.

The Catholic Church has a non-profit hospital system of 637 hospitals, which account for hospital treatment of 1 out of every 5 people - not just Catholics - in the United States today

But the press is vindictive and trying to totally denigrate in every way the Catholic Church in this country. They have blamed the disease of pedophilia on the Catholic Church, which is as irresponsible as blaming adultery on the institution of marriage.

Let me give you some figures that Catholics should know and remember. For example, 12% of the 300 Protestant clergy surveyed admitted to sexual intercourse with a parishioner; 38% acknowledged other inappropriate sexual contact in a study by the United Methodist Church , 41.8% of clergy women reported unwanted sexual behavior; 17% of laywomen have been sexually harassed.
    Meanwhile, 1.7% of the Catholic clergy has been found guilty of pedophilia. 10% of the Protestant ministers have been found guilty of pedophilia. This is not a Catholic Problem.

A study of American priests showed that most are happy in the priesthood and find it even better than they had expected, and that most, if given the choice, would choose to be priests again in face of all this obnoxious PR the church has been receiving.

The Catholic Church is bleeding from self-inflicted wounds. The agony that Catholics have felt and suffered is not necessarily the fault of the Church. You have been hurt by a small number of wayward priests that have probably been totally weeded out by now.

Walk with your shoulders high and you head higher. Be a proud member of the most important non-governmental agency in the United States . Then remember what Jeremiah said: 'Stand by the roads, and look and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is and walk in it, and find rest for your souls'. Be proud to speak up for your faith with pride and reverence and learn what your Church does for all other religions.

Be proud that you're a Catholic."

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

8. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,666
    I just wish the Catholic Church had been as gung ho in weeding out the pedophiles in their ranks all along.

9. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,438
    The Catholic Church is like any other large organization. Their first impulse is to cover their ass

10. Lost Soul

Lost Soul Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +118
    No the Catholic Church has moved forward and left that to the Muslims the liberals support.

Funny we never see the liberals condemning the wholesale slaughter of innocent people by the hands of Muslim terrorist.