Cash Strapped States Pay Millions for Basketball Coaches

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by WillowTree, Apr 2, 2009.

1. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,769
    When Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear announced in February that his state was taking nearly $3 billion in federal stimulus cash, he described the decision as necessary to save jobs, preserve "quality of life" and a "strategic investment ... to position Kentucky for the future."

Little did Beshear know that two months later, as teachers, police and other municipal workers breathed a collective sigh of relief that their jobs had been saved — at least for now — the state's primary institution for higher learning would "invest" $32 million in a well-traveled but highly successful basketball coach.

FOXNews.com - Cash Strapped States Pay Millions for Basketball Coaches - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

You will just have to forgive me when I say "I no longer give a shit about the economy." :eusa_hand:

2. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    That's Kentucky for you, where inbreeding and trailer parks are a way of life, but as long as UK is winning basketball games, it's all AOK!

3. CrimsonWhite

CrimsonWhite *****istrator Emeritus Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    Yep, and how much does Painter make?

4. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    Who cares, I'm an IU Grad, Purdue is our arch rival! :evil:

5. Article 15

Article 15 Dr. House slayer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    Some sniveling little reporter tried to pull this shit on coach Calhoun at UConn and Calhoun ate him alive. The program generates far more revenue than it does expenses i.e. it was operating at a profit.

These people are highly specialized professionals and are outstanding at their job.

Though I doubt coach Cal will be as in your face about it I'd be willing to bet that the UK men's basketball program is no different.