Carly Fiorina tells it like it is--No Subsides--and she did it in Iowa!

oreo

Gold Member
Sep 15, 2008
rocky mountains
This woman is fantastic--No B.S--no trying to buy votes--no making promises that she won't keep. This is farmers she is talking to in Iowa. They gave her a standing ovation for just being HONEST.

"After speaking for ten minutes, Fiorina took questions from the group.

She spoke candidly when answering a question about the Renewable Fuel Standard, saying that she will commit to upholding the standards until 2022 ā€“ as the program requires ā€“ but would not extend the program to be applicable after that.

ā€œIn the spirit of complete honesty and transparency Iā€™m also going to tell you this: I donā€™t think government should be in the business of setting prices and guaranteeing access to markets. I think government has to be even handed,ā€ she answered.

ā€œLet us establish 2022 as the end point, letā€™s have a level playing field from now until 2022. But in 2022, the government needs to get out of all this. Fossil fuels, sugar, corn subsidies ā€“ government needs to get out of all it.ā€

Fiorina addresses farmerā€™s concerns at Corn Growers meeting

carly-fiorina.jpg

Here are the other GOP candidates records on 'Government farming subsidies

.In 2011, CHRIS CHRISTIE signed legislation that provided $90.6 million in grant funds for farmland preservation.

TED CRUZ voted for S.Amdt.953 to S.954, which proposed limiting "the amount of premium subsidy provided by the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation on behalf of any person or legal entity with an average adjusted gross income in excess of $750,000." It was approved by the Senate on May 23, 2013.

LINDSEY GRAHAM voted for the H.R.2642 - the Agricultural Act of 2014, also known as the Farm Bill. The nearly 1,000-page bill reformed and continued various programs of the U.S. Department of Agriculture through 2018. The $1 trillion bill expanded crop insurance for farmers by $7 billion over the next decade and created new subsidies for rice and peanut growers set to kick in when prices drop; however, cuts to the food stamp program cut an average of $90 per month for 1.7 million people in 15 states. It became law on February 7, 2014.

MIKE HUCKABEE According to The Wall Street Journal, while attending the Iowa Agriculture Summit in March 2015, Mike Huckabee "argued that support for ethanol is good national security policy, helping to reduce U.S. dependence on oil imports. He then quipped his support for the corn-based fuel wasnā€™t about pandering to Iowans because of their important role in the presidential nominating process."In his 2008 book, Do the Right Thing: Inside the Movement That's Bringing Common Sense Back to America, Huckabee wrote, "We must continue subsidies because our farmers compete with highly subsidized farmers in Europe and Asia, and they face fixed costs (land, equipment, seed, supplies) whether or not they produce a crop. Subsidies insulate farmers from natural disasters like droughts, floods, hurricanes, and tornadoes, as well as from sudden spikes in the price of fuel, feed, and fertilizer."

BOBBY JINDAL In 2003, while campaigning for governor, Bobby Jindal argued that sugar tariffs "must be preserved or Louisiana's sugar industry could shut down as Latin American farmers flood the U.S. market with cheap imported sugar," according to HoumaTouday.com

JOHN KASICH In 1997, John Kasich voted in favor of an amendment to an agricultural bill that would have prevented any funds gained from the bill from being used to subsidize crop insurance for tobacco. The amendment modified H.R.2160, which was entitled, "Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 1998."In 1996, K asich voted in favor of amendments that would have phased out price support programs for peanuts and sugar. However, he voted against a similar amendment for dairy products such as butter, powdered milk and cheese.

RAND PAUL--In May 2013, Paul voted in favor of S Amdt 953, an amendment to the Agriculture Reform, Food, and Jobs Act of 2013, which would have limited "the amount of premium subsidy provided by the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation on behalf of any person or legal entity with an average adjusted gross income in excess of $750,000, with a delayed application of the limitation until completion of a study on the effects of the limitation."[45]
In 2013, Paul voted against S Amdt 923, which sought to repeal tobacco crop insurance premium subsidies. In 2013, Paul sponsored S 956, which proposed eliminating price supports for peanuts, sugar and milk.

RICK PERRY-In 2011, Perry declined to comment on whether he supported the renewable fuel standard for ethanol, saying instead, "We need equitable tax treatment for all fuel producers."

MARCO RUBIO--In 2013, Rubio voted for S.Amdt.953 to S.954 - the Agriculture Reform, Food, and Jobs Act of 2013, which sought ā€œTo limit the amount of premium subsidy provided by the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation on behalf of any person or legal entity with an average adjusted gross income in excess of $750,000, with a delayed application of the limitation until completion of a study on the effects of the limitation.ā€In 2012, Rubio voted for S.Amdt.2393 to S.Amdt.2392, which was a ā€œVote to table an amendment to S Amdt 2392 to S Amdt 2391 to S 3240 that reduces the amount of sugar subsidies for the 2012-2014 crop years, and repeals all sugar subsidies in the 2015 crop year.ā€

RICK SANTORUM: In 2012, Rick Santorum proposed ending "'most agriculture subsidies' within four years."[60]
In 2006, Santorum voted for S.Amdt.3617 to H.R.4939, which proposed striking "a provision providing $6 million to sugarcane growers in Hawaii, which was not included in the Administration's emergency supplemental request."

SCOTT WALKER: At the Iowa Agricultural Summit in March 2015, Walker said he would like to eliminate the Renewable Fuel Standard, but is comfortable with it remaining in place for now because "we donā€™t have a free and open marketplace." When later asked why he had shifted his position, Walker said, "From our standpoint, our position is consistent. I talked about not wanting a mandate in Wisconsin as governor. We do not have one. I do not support one. I have not enacted it. Iā€™ve kept it out of the state of Wisconsin. What I said in Iowa was ā€¦ I think we need to phase it out, but I donā€™t approve of putting in new mandates.

Nothing on Jeb Bush--& Donald Trump
2016 presidential candidates on agricultural subsidies - Ballotpedia

I'm pretty sure her record as a CEO makes her 'not fantastic'

You gotta be pretty bad for HP to pay you $30MM to go away because you did so badly.

Forum List

Back