Cape Town is running out of Water

Right? Its Africa. Who cares

Did you all know that our water in America is getting sucked up, sent over to China . Some of the water is bottled and sent back to America where we spend over a dollar a bottle..

Nestley is the most corrupt..and are getting away with it.

A Great Lakes Water War: Nestlé, the Great Lakes Compact, and the Future of Freshwater | Freshwater Future

Nestle is a blip on the hydrologic radar of the water in the Great Lakes area.

What they really worry about is any scheme from out West to try to divert Great Lakes water to the Colorado basin.
I'm not sure why we need to have strawberries year round or why famously dry areas are opening to grow marijuana and why in California they are growing RICE for goddsakes. We squander water by planting stuff where water isn't present and insisting on having luxury stuff like strawberries that are hard and have no flavor whatsoever when they are locally out of season.
We need to think about our water resources when we choose what to farm. I never hear anyone thinking about that.

It boils down to more than strawberries and rice. The land in the area is very fertile, and the weather is great for long growing seasons. That water needs to be shipped here and there is an issue, but one that can be overcome via proper engineering.

The biggest issue is the increased populations on these States compared to 100 years ago, when the water infrastructure was first created.
I'll take your word for it, but I think it is still wasteful. Fertile soil and a long growing season are important, I understand, but crops requiring copious amounts of water need not apply, imo.

The water issue would not be as severe if they had spent more $$ and time increasing the dams and reservoir capacity the past 40 years.

Remember the agriculture was there first, and was one of the reasons people flocked to California in the first place.

If you have more people, you need more containment to hold the water, especially in places like the American West, where rain/drought cycles are sporadic in length and frequency.

Plans to build new huge dams and reservoirs in California hit hurdle

They let the Environmental people write the funding bill in such a way as to not consider increased water storage as a public benefit, so most projects will be rejected.

Did they run out of water during the apartheid days? I'm not suggesting South Africa go back to apartheid, but who is control of the infrastructure now now that white South Africans are being slaughtered under this new regime?

Theirs appears to be an infrastructure problem, caused by a lack of good water mains and overuse of groundwater wells.

Same problem, different cause, but with added old fashioned political corruption.
how does it get out of hand is what I'd like to know? the corruption?

You start with a problem, lack of water piping from established wells, you add failure of some existing wells forcing the trucks to take over, and then you let the truck companies set up little cabals that can set prices as they see fit. None of this goes on without someone in power getting some good old graft.

Forum List

Back