Cape Town is running out of Water

martybegan

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa, will likely run out of water by April - CNN

So how did this happen? How does a major city in the developed world just run dry?
It's been a slow-motion crisis, exacerbated by three factors conspiring together:
They have to get their AGW mention in, but the real issues are apparent. They have had a drought like this before a century ago, but there are now 4 million people in the area compared to probably less than 1 million before.

That, and it seems the people aren't getting it.

Even with the predicament they find themselves in, residents haven't dropped their water use significantly, said Patricia De Lille, Cape Town's mayor.
The city has lowered the water pressure in their mains to help stretch the water supply. But usage is still 86 million liters above its target goal.
"It is quite unbelievable that a majority of people do not seem to care and are sending all of us headlong towards Day Zero," a statement from the mayor's office said. "We can no longer ask people to stop wasting water. We must force them."

So how did this happen? How does a major city in the developed world just run dry?
It's been a slow-motion crisis, exacerbated by three factors conspiring together:
They have to get their AGW mention in, but the real issues are apparent. They have had a drought like this before a century ago, but there are now 4 million people in the area compared to probably less than 1 million before.

Even with the predicament they find themselves in, residents haven't dropped their water use significantly, said Patricia De Lille, Cape Town's mayor.
The city has lowered the water pressure in their mains to help stretch the water supply. But usage is still 86 million liters above its target goal.
"It is quite unbelievable that a majority of people do not seem to care and are sending all of us headlong towards Day Zero," a statement from the mayor's office said. "We can no longer ask people to stop wasting water. We must force them."
Haven't I got enough things to worry about without including Cape Town South Africa?
Is there a point here?

Haven't I got enough things to worry about without including Cape Town South Africa?
Is there a point here?

It may be a warning for other cities that have seen large increases in population without subsequent increases in infrastructure.

We may see something like this in the US West if we get a bad drought.

Plus I am an Environmental Engineer and this is interesting to me.

Is there a point here?
Right? Its Africa. Who cares

Is there a point here?
------------------------------------ yes of course , its good informative info and something to watch for . I just hope that the 'zombie' africans don't head to Oriana .

Is there a point here?

Did you all know that our water in America is getting sucked up, sent over to China . Some of the water is bottled and sent back to America where we spend over a dollar a bottle..

Nestley is the most corrupt..and are getting away with it.

A Great Lakes Water War: Nestlé, the Great Lakes Compact, and the Future of Freshwater | Freshwater Future

Is there a point here?

It may be a warning for other cities that have seen large increases in population without subsequent increases in infrastructure.

-------------------------------------------------- agree , no E. Engineer here but interesting info anyway . 4 million people in a halfway developed Capetown thats running out of water is Survival of the most murderous .

Is there a point here?

-------------------------------------------------- agree , no E. Engineer here but interesting info anyway . 4 million people in a halfway developed Capetown thats running out of water is Survival of the most murderous .

if you click on some of the links at the bottom the government is trying to inform people, but they don't seem to be listening.

Is there a point here?

Did you all know that our water in America is getting sucked up, sent over to China . Some of the water is bottled and sent back to America where we spend over a dollar a bottle..

A Great Lakes Water War: Nestlé, the Great Lakes Compact, and the Future of Freshwater | Freshwater Future

Nestle is a blip on the hydrologic radar of the water in the Great Lakes area.

What they really worry about is any scheme from out West to try to divert Great Lakes water to the Colorado basin.

Is there a point here?

if you click on some of the links at the bottom the government is trying to inform people, but they don't seem to be listening.
------------------------------------------------ human nature i guess , maybe the 'sud africans' will demand that we tow an 'iceberg' over their way .

Is there a point here?

------------------------------------------------ human nature i guess , maybe the 'sud africans' will demand that we tow an 'iceberg' over their way .

They actually started working on desalination plants a few years ago, but by their charts most look to be only 1/2 done.

i think , heard that the Israelis already have desalination but i don't know .

i think , heard that the Israelis already have desalination but i don't know .

You don't go with desalination unless you don't have better options, as the process is usually very energy intensive.

It's why you only see it in desert countries most of the time.

send some Appalachia Moonshiners over that way . Seems to me that it'll be pretty bad if water runs out . The 'u.n.' might get involved and give them some Cholera .

Is there a point here?

What they really worry about is any scheme from out West to try to divert Great Lakes water to the Colorado basin.
I'm not sure why we need to have strawberries year round or why famously dry areas are opening to grow marijuana and why in California they are growing RICE for goddsakes. We squander water by planting stuff where water isn't present and insisting on having luxury stuff like strawberries that are hard and have no flavor whatsoever when they are locally out of season.
We need to think about our water resources when we choose what to farm. I never hear anyone thinking about that.

Is there a point here?

I'm not sure why we need to have strawberries year round or why famously dry areas are opening to grow marijuana and why in California they are growing RICE for goddsakes. We squander water by planting stuff where water isn't present and insisting on having luxury stuff like strawberries that are hard and have no flavor whatsoever when they are locally out of season.
We need to think about our water resources when we choose what to farm. I never hear anyone thinking about that.

It boils down to more than strawberries and rice. The land in the area is very fertile, and the weather is great for long growing seasons. That water needs to be shipped here and there is an issue, but one that can be overcome via proper engineering.

The biggest issue is the increased populations on these States compared to 100 years ago, when the water infrastructure was first created.

Is there a point here?

----------------------------------------------------------------- its ok with me , first i ever saw and avocado was in , mighta been the late 70s and while i like them i was happy enough eating cheeseburger with red onion . Strawberries , think they come from New Zealand in winter and no matter where grown i could do without them FOREVER . Aw well , water will be fine for my lifetime i reckon and water is important because it is needed for FRACKING and mining . Course those 's africans' better get on the stick and figure out what they will do .

Is there a point here?

It boils down to more than strawberries and rice. The land in the area is very fertile, and the weather is great for long growing seasons. That water needs to be shipped here and there is an issue, but one that can be overcome via proper engineering.

The biggest issue is the increased populations on these States compared to 100 years ago, when the water infrastructure was first created.
I'll take your word for it, but I think it is still wasteful. Fertile soil and a long growing season are important, I understand, but crops requiring copious amounts of water need not apply, imo.

Forum List

Back