Canon of Rock & Roll

Nosmo King

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2009
Buckle of the Rust Belt
There is a canon of literature, a canon of fine art, a canon of film.

What Rock & Roll songs would make up the essential, indispensable list of music? Take into account not only the popularity of the song, but its influence. How many times was the song covered by other artists? How did the song not only define the genre, but how did it advance it?

I suggest the first four songs, the Torah of Rock.

You ain't Nothin' but a Hound Dog (Big Mama Thornton)

Rock Around the Clock (Bill Haley and his Comets)

Please Please Me (The Beatles)

Blowin' in the Wind (Bob Dylan)

Plumb the depths! I wonder who will be the first to cite The Velvet Underground or David Byrne?

Last edited:
Where the "King". Elvis?
I put Big Mama Thornton's Hound Dog up front because Elvis covered it. Which Elvis song would you,suggest?
Well, you may not like my favorite...How Great Thou Art. Also like "Are you lonesome tonight?" Oh gosh, there are so many great songs!

Thank you for asking!
I think Are you Lonesome is a worthy choice. But How Great Thou Art isn't a Rock & Roll song, but a Gospel song.

Last edited:
Where the "King". Elvis?
I put Big Mama Thornton's Hound Dog up front because Elvis covered it. Which Elvis song would you,suggest?
Well, you may not like my favorite...How Great Thou Art. Also like "Are you lonesome tonight?" Oh gosh, there are so many great songs!

Thank you for asking!
I think Are you Lonesome is a worthy choice. But How Great Thou Art isn't a Rock &a Roll song, but a Gospel song.
You're right. Sorry.

Forum List

Back