Quintessential American Band

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Which one would you nominate ?

A band that could not come from anywhere else.

There are quite a few to choose from.

Beach Boys,CCR,REM, B52s,Blondie, Sly,The Doors, Talking Heads,Nirvana........................... Ive always had a soft spot for the Long Ryders myself.

Bands not individuals.

Of course, I could have just as easily said Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, another group from Michigan. There are many regions and styles of music from America. One could pick a "quintessential" band from each.

Of course, I could have just as easily said Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, another group from Michigan. There are many regions and styles of music from America. One could pick a "quintessential" band from each.
Go for it - its free.

Go for it - its free.
My first choice was a favorite. Then I tried to make a point which you are missing, or pretending to. Please. Satisfy my curiosity. I'm an American and can't define "quintessential American band". How do you, a non American, define it?

Go for it - its free.
My first choice was a favorite. Then I tried to make a point which you are missing, or pretending to. Please. Satisfy my curiosity. I'm an American and can't define "quintessential American band". How do you, a non American, define it?

Its really difficult. I would say that the Beach Boys would be my initial answer. They could not have come from anywhere else in the World and they conjour a vision of America that we can all buy into. Surf,sand,girls cars. We only had one of those when I was a teenager in Wales. .

If you look at the UK music scene I would say that The Smiths, The Kinks and The Jam are quintessentially British. The Stones not so much.

Go for it - its free.

Its really difficult. I would say that the Beach Boys would be my initial answer. They could not have come from anywhere else in the World and they conjour a vision of America that we can all buy into. Surf,sand,girls cars. We only had one of those when I was a teenager in Wales. .

If you look at the UK music scene I would say that The Smiths, The Kinks and The Jam are quintessentially British. The Stones not so much.
Interesting. Tell me, why the Stones not so much quintessential UK- is it because of the American Blues influence in their sound?

Which one would you nominate ?

A band that could not come from anywhere else.

There are quite a few to choose from.

Beach Boys,CCR,REM, B52s,Blondie, Sly,The Doors, Talking Heads,Nirvana........................... Ive always had a soft spot for the Long Ryders myself.

Bands not individuals.

Glenn Miller

Go for it - its free.

Interesting. Tell me, why the Stones not so much quintessential UK- is it because of the American Blues influence in their sound?
I think so. A lot of their best stuff was covers as well. Jagger "sings" in an American accent much of the time and their music lacks the quirkiness you usually get from British bands. They could never have made Sgt Peppers as an example.

I think a lot of bands are quintessentially American. A few are quintessentially British. I can't think of any off the top of my head that are quintessentially Australian or Canadian.

I think a lot of bands are quintessentially American. A few are quintessentially British. I can't think of any off the top of my head that are quintessentially Australian or Canadian.

Bee Gees?
AC/DC?

Bee Gees?
AC/DC?
Everyone knows AC/DC was Australian, but their style and subject matter could have been from anywhere (or at least anywhere the school kids wore uniforms).

Bee Gees were brought up in Manchester. I would class them as International rather than specific to one country.

Its like Bob Marley is the quintessential Jamaican act. He could not have come from anywhere else.

Old Crow Medicine Show. From the name, to the style of play, and instruments; and ultimately the message of their music... It could only have come from America. And a very specific part of America at that.
Give it a listen... You'll see.

Forum List

Back