Canadian Navy can’t even give away two old ships, it costs too much to remove hazardous materials

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Who needs a military anyway? We know America will foot the bill. Besides, China, Russia and North Korea don't have a thing on global warming! What's a few nukes, aircraft carriers and high tech fighter jets when you have global warming to deal with?

Our military has been denied for so many decades we don't even consider it an expense in the budget.

Navy can't even give away two old ships because it would cost too much to remove hazardous materials

The Royal Canadian Navy considered giving a destroyer and supply ship to another nation instead of scrapping them, but had to nix the idea when it realized how costly it would be to remove hazardous materials from the vessels.

HMCS Protecteur and HMCS Algonquin, both decommissioned in 2015, were considered for donation, according to documents obtained by the Ottawa Citizen. But to move ahead with that plan would have required that the government spend more than $10 million on each vessel to remove all polychlorinated biphenyls, or PCBs.

Instead of spending the $20 million, the decision was made to send the vessels to the scrap heap.

Public Services and Procurement Canada has just put out a new request for bids for the disposal of the former HMCS Preserver, a supply ship, and the former CFAV Quest, a research ship used by the Department of National Defence. Those bids are required by April 26.

But the 2015 disposal documents prepared for HMCS Protecteur and HMCS Algonquin outline the limitations of what can be done with surplus navy vessels.

The Royal Canadian Navy considered either giving HMCS Algonquin to another nation or donating it to a museum or similar outlet. “A gratuitous transfer to another nation was considered and deemed not to be a viable option due to numerous hazardous materials embedded through the ship, such as polychlorinated biphenyls,” said the navy planning records, obtained by the Citizen through the Access to Information law.

I remember in the first Gulf War, 1991 or whenever it was. Canada offered to help, and our navy guided some ships to the Gulf. The allied nations literally told Canada to turn around and bring the ships back to Canada, they were so outdated and useless. I believe they were from the Korean War era or something ridiculous.

Anyways, it's an insult to those with the courage in this country to join the military and who want to defend this nation if needed. Imagine being so embarrassed through no fault of your own. I recall the Americans and British also provided certain equipment to our men, some of them I believe (just going by memory) didn't have the sufficient gear for the terrain there.

Nothing bothers me more than thinking how we throw our own soldiers under the bus. The best of the best in our nation, the salt of the earth, and they have to operate sub-par relics because so many in the country steal and fund boondoggles galore. Not to mention the massive expenditure of the security apparatus domestically, at great cost to our military.

I suppose we believe tyranny will just overlook us "just because".

Who needs a military anyway? We know America will foot the bill. Besides, China, Russia and North Korea don't have a thing on global warming! What's a few nukes, aircraft carriers and high tech fighter jets when you have global warming to deal with?

Our military has been denied for so many decades we don't even consider it an expense in the budget.

Navy can't even give away two old ships because it would cost too much to remove hazardous materials

The Royal Canadian Navy considered giving a destroyer and supply ship to another nation instead of scrapping them, but had to nix the idea when it realized how costly it would be to remove hazardous materials from the vessels.

HMCS Protecteur and HMCS Algonquin, both decommissioned in 2015, were considered for donation, according to documents obtained by the Ottawa Citizen. But to move ahead with that plan would have required that the government spend more than $10 million on each vessel to remove all polychlorinated biphenyls, or PCBs.

Instead of spending the $20 million, the decision was made to send the vessels to the scrap heap.

Public Services and Procurement Canada has just put out a new request for bids for the disposal of the former HMCS Preserver, a supply ship, and the former CFAV Quest, a research ship used by the Department of National Defence. Those bids are required by April 26.

But the 2015 disposal documents prepared for HMCS Protecteur and HMCS Algonquin outline the limitations of what can be done with surplus navy vessels.

The Royal Canadian Navy considered either giving HMCS Algonquin to another nation or donating it to a museum or similar outlet. “A gratuitous transfer to another nation was considered and deemed not to be a viable option due to numerous hazardous materials embedded through the ship, such as polychlorinated biphenyls,” said the navy planning records, obtained by the Citizen through the Access to Information law.
This happens a lot with decommissioning of warships.

Even before they use them for target practice they still have to scrub them and get all the oil and diesel out, and remove the lead based paint.

Near Vallejo Calif in the Suisun Bay there is a huge graveyard of USN ships that have been decommissioned but not detoxed.

They have been sitting there anchored together since the end of WW2.

I remember in the first Gulf War, 1991 or whenever it was. Canada offered to help, and our navy guided some ships to the Gulf. The allied nations literally told Canada to turn around and bring the ships back to Canada, they were so outdated and useless. I believe they were from the Korean War era or something ridiculous.

Anyways, it's an insult to those with the courage in this country to join the military and who want to defend this nation if needed. Imagine being so embarrassed through no fault of your own. I recall the Americans and British also provided certain equipment to our men, some of them I believe (just going by memory) didn't have the sufficient gear for the terrain there.

Nothing bothers me more than thinking how we throw our own soldiers under the bus. The best of the best in our nation, the salt of the earth, and they have to operate sub-par relics because so many in the country steal and fund boondoggles galore. Not to mention the massive expenditure of the security apparatus domestically, at great cost to our military.

Junk is junk.

If Canada did not live next door to the world's policeman she would not be able to neglect her national defense, as it were.

As it is, Canada is one of the luckiest nations in the world.

Junk is junk.

If Canada did not live next door to the world's policeman she would not be able to neglect her national defense, as it were.

As it is, Canada is one of the luckiest nations in the world.

The problem with your last statement, is that very few in this country know it. We have literally exploited America for 30+ years from an economic perspective, with the help of the British, while freely violating International laws against our own citizens. Whats worse, the biggest proponents of anti-Americanism are in fact government loyalist, some of them relic from the British dynasty who despise America and aren't shy in taking shot at them. Most Canadians just nod their heads and accept the propaganda as fact.

It's a bit unfortunate that Americans aren't tuned into Canadian media and the general attitude of Canadians to Americans as well as they should be, especially as I stated, from government and the security apparatus. There are a great number of Canadians like me, but they are few and far between, and increasingly more rare.

Forum List

Back