Canadian Customs In Action

Well good news Joycie we live in America not canada, you know what I find funny though, whats gonna happen when these liberals go to Canada and got all kinds of stuff like this.

Enshrined absolute freedom of speach is not found in Canada. Hate speach is not protected under our consitution, unlike in the States which values free speech no matter what.

If people have a problem with that, well don't come to Canada!

Isaac Brock said:
Enshrined absolute freedom of speach is not found in Canada. Hate speach is not protected under our consitution, unlike in the States which values free speech no matter what.

I'm surprised at you Isaac.

What do you find so hateful about this particular book?

And why do you seem to think that your government has a right to decide which speech is acceptable and which is not?

And why are you unable to see the seeds of totalitarianism contained in this policy?

Must be gettin cold up there. Appears to me that your brain is starting to freeze over just a bit. Migh want to throw another bearskin on the igloo floor. :banana: ;)

Merlin1047 said:
I'm surprised at you Isaac.

What do you find so hateful about this particular book?

And why do you seem to think that your government has a right to decide which speech is acceptable and which is not?

And why are you unable to see the seeds of totalitarianism contained in this policy?

Must be gettin cold up there. Appears to me that your brain is starting to freeze over just a bit. Migh want to throw another bearskin on the igloo floor. :banana: ;)

Speech that is meant to incite violence in banned in Canada. Simple as that. Doesn't matter if it's against Whites, Blacks, Jews, Christians, Gays, Straights etc.

It's a lot like the Patriot act. It is designed to protect you at some costs to your rights. You have a right to your opinion, you have the right to speak your opinion, except when it is used to insight violence.

Actually that is a very good example.

Where the Patriot acts gives protection at the cost of privacy.
Our hate speach laws give protection at the cost free speech.

If not being allowed to speakout violently against cultural/relgious groups at large is the price I pay for multiculturalism with less violence. So be it.

Whatever. I'd rather have Ashcroft look at my e-mail after I check out "The Anarchist's Cookbook" and a book on popular tourist stops (maybe he can delete those 42 penis enlargement offers a day) that have the government regulating what I can say.

First they tell you what to think.
Then they tell you what to say.
Then they tell you what to do.

theim said:
Whatever. I'd rather have Ashcroft look at my e-mail after I check out "The Anarchist's Cookbook" and a book on popular tourist stops (maybe he can delete those 42 penis enlargement offers a day) that have the government regulating what I can say.

Well you like Big Brother, we like Censorship. Different values I guess.

I guess I can't see the big deal in not allowing a racist to preach violence, but hey, that's why I'm Canadian and not living down south.

theim said:

Isn't that exactly what the the Patriot act does?

If you want free speech thats fine. We just don't want the KKK to sit in the middle of the street and tell people to kill black people. If you want your gov't to do whatever it wants to you, fine, but there is a big difference.

theim said:

Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

03-denni.jpg

Isaac Brock said:

From what I could gather, after reading snipettes from the book, it did not seem to contain hate speech. I could have missed something though.

MrMarbles said:
It's a lot like the Patriot act. It is designed to protect you at some costs to your rights. You have a right to your opinion, you have the right to speak your opinion, except when it is used to insight violence.

Shifting the argument to the Patriot act does not address the issue. First, you are wrong about the effect of the Patriot act, but that is not the topic under discussion.

So you are both telling me that you believe that it is the function of your government to decide which speech is acceptable and which is not. Have I got that right?

Isaac Brock said:
Speech that is meant to incite violence in banned in Canada. Simple as that. Doesn't matter if it's against Whites, Blacks, Jews, Christians, Gays, Straights etc.

That's not an answer. You cannot justify something with the statement that "that's just the way it is".

If you can't do any better than that, it must be due to the fact that the evidence does not support your view because I know that otherwise you're smart enough to come up with rationale far less lame than that which you have presented so far.

Merlin1047 said:
That's not an answer. You cannot justify something with the statement that "that's just the way it is".

If you can't do any better than that, it must be due to the fact that the evidence does not support your view because I know that otherwise you're smart enough to come up with rationale far less lame than that which you have presented so far.

It's the answer, it's not the answer you like, but it is the answer

Your country allows your privacy to be superceded in the name of security. Why do you let privacy be interfered with by the government? You couldn't get away with the privacy breaches in the Patriot Act in Canada. Does that mean its wrong, maybe in Canada, but that's how you choose to keep yourself secure, so be it. Who am I to judge.

Canada is a multicultural country. If we allowed hate speach to incite various groups against eachother, our country's stability would shot. I recall Germany did the same thing after the war and it has worked as well. It's a small price to pay for my family, neighbours and my own security.

If not allowing a few biggots to incite the masses is the price I pay, I'll pay it double anyday. Plus, our constitution (Charter of Rights and Freedoms) can be changed democratically with due process, if for some reason, some day Canada decides we want people preaching hate to the masses. I hope that day never comes.

Forum List

Back