Can you believe this?

For a regime that is based upon sharia law and conducts themselves as cited below, to critique the American justice system is one of the more hilarious stories I have read about the Zimmerman/Martin situation.

"Iran’s calls for justice came as a surprise to U.S. observers, who pointed out that the Iranian regime is notorious for beating opposition members, arresting journalists, stoning women to death, and publicly executing homosexual teenagers.

An Iranian woman, for instance, was ordered to be stoned to death in July 2010.

The regime also initiated a widespread crackdown on opposition forces in the lead up to its most recent elections, which international observers cited for being neither free nor fair.

Political prisoners in Iran have even attempted to commit suicide as a result of their abusive treatment.

Religious minorities, such as Christians and Jews, also have been arrested or worse."

Iran?s Mullahs Demand Justice for Trayvon | Washington Free Beacon

If Trayvon lived in Iran, they would have cut off his hands as soon as they found the burglary tools and jewelry in his backpack.

Obama could try a grovelling apology to his potential best buddy, the new President of Iran.

After all he has made a practice of apologizing for America....:mad:

Iran’s Mullahs Demand Justice for Trayvon ......Iran?:eek: that beacon of human rights Iran???

The nerve of those Mullahs is beyond comprehension.

The nerve? I think people have a right to speak on an issue they feel passionate about, no matter what other countries PERCEIVE of their human rights record. I don't agree with many of their interrogation tactics and such, but most of their laws are simply cultural differences. We have absolutely no right applying American cultural standards to a country run on Islamic law. They do not follow our Constitution, so why should we judge them like they do?

The point being, if they feel Trayvon was the victim, then that's their opinion, which is no less credible than what I assume is your opinion that Zimmerman was the victim. I would be curious to know, however, exactly what human rights violations you think Iran is guilty of. I'm not saying they're not guilty, I just want to know specifics.

Obama could try a grovelling apology to his potential best buddy, the new President of Iran.

After all he has made a practice of apologizing for America....:mad:

What exactly has given you the impression that they could be friends? They don't even know each other, and their policy is nowhere close to each other. Obama doesn't "grovel". If he feels America has something to apologize for, he will apologize. Should children also not apologize when they feel they've done something bad? It's the same principle. I don't understand how being an apologist has become such a bad thing.

If Trayvon lived in Iran, they would have cut off his hands as soon as they found the burglary tools and jewelry in his backpack.

I would be curious to know of specific cases where the Iranian government cut off the hands of burglars. I would also be curious to know why Trayvon is all of the sudden a jewel thief and not just some pothead kid getting skittles from the corner store at night.

For a regime that is based upon sharia law and conducts themselves as cited below, to critique the American justice system is one of the more hilarious stories I have read about the Zimmerman/Martin situation.

"Iran’s calls for justice came as a surprise to U.S. observers, who pointed out that the Iranian regime is notorious for beating opposition members, arresting journalists, stoning women to death, and publicly executing homosexual teenagers.

An Iranian woman, for instance, was ordered to be stoned to death in July 2010.

The regime also initiated a widespread crackdown on opposition forces in the lead up to its most recent elections, which international observers cited for being neither free nor fair.

Political prisoners in Iran have even attempted to commit suicide as a result of their abusive treatment.

Religious minorities, such as Christians and Jews, also have been arrested or worse."

Though I agree that the things you have listed are atrocities, here's the problem. As I have stated in my replies to other posts, we are looking at Iranian law through the lens of AMERICAN law. This is completely illogical. Each country has a sovereign right to conduct their business in the way they see fit. I don't agree with their policy, but they don't follow OUR bill of rights, OUR Constitution. If their people don't like the way it is, they will one day rise up and change things, or politicians will change things, or who knows? However, it's not necessarily our place to judge.

And don't even bring homosexuals up. We don't hang them but ordinary American citizens have killed them, ridiculed them, dehumanized them, etc. America, until very recently, hasn't given a damn about the LGBT community.

I'm amazed at the negativity displayed in this thread towards Iran. You all speak as if you know everything there is to know about a country that doesn't speak our language, doesn't follow our religion, doesn't adhere to our laws, and doesn't follow our culture. I hope to one day work in Iran, and am currently learning Farsi, but even I don't claim to know what it's even like to live in the country.

If you think Iran is a threat to you (and I don't understand why you would), I suggest you fight your battles with positive energy, not negative remarks and jokes about "fatwas" and the like. You have to fight hate with love, darkness with light. All that being said, Iran is not your enemy, and will never do anything to this country or Israel. They are not developing a bomb. They are not supporting terrorism world-wide. This is an irrational fear. Please, re-think your feelings towards a country full of vibrant culture, and very human citizens.

Iran’s Mullahs Demand Justice for Trayvon ......Iran?:eek: that beacon of human rights Iran???

The nerve? I think people have a right to speak on an issue they feel passionate about, no matter what other countries PERCEIVE of their human rights record. I don't agree with many of their interrogation tactics and such, but most of their laws are simply cultural differences. We have absolutely no right applying American cultural standards to a country run on Islamic law. They do not follow our Constitution, so why should we judge them like they do?

The point being, if they feel Trayvon was the victim, then that's their opinion, which is no less credible than what I assume is your opinion that Zimmerman was the victim. I would be curious to know, however, exactly what human rights violations you think Iran is guilty of. I'm not saying they're not guilty, I just want to know specifics.

The case was in the US which is based on secular law. Iran is the one who is imposing their cultural values and understanding of law on the US. Nerve? I agree Iran has a great deal of it. I have listed some of the transgressions you have asked for in my post above. Moreover, the rights that you seem believe Iran has are the very same they do not allow their own people to exercise.

The case was in the US which is based on secular law. Iran is the one who is imposing their cultural values and understanding of law on the US. Nerve? I agree Iran has a great deal of it. I have listed some of the transgressions you have asked for in my post above. Moreover, the rights that you seem believe Iran has are the very same they do not allow their own people to exercise.

I'm aware that the Trayvon case is based on American, secular law; no need to explain that. I cannot speak for the Iranian government, but their demand for justice for Trayvon is not necessarily "applying" Iranian law to an American case. At least, in their statements I don't see where they cited an Iranian law that would favor Trayvon over Zimmerman. They were simply stating an emotionally charged opinion, probably as a way of attacking the American government, as the American government often attacks the Iranian government. However, saying that Iranians should have freedom of speech or freedom of religion IS applying American law to Iranian life. It's a subtle, but in my opinion important distinction.

In terms of the transgressions you have stated, I have also acknowledged that I do not agree with all of them, or most of them for that matter. One stands out to me; your opinion that their recent elections were not free or fair. Was Rowhani, a moderate who most people felt the Ayatollah would NEVER allow to be elected, was his victory not free and fair? Or if you are referring to the 2008 Green Movement, much of the controversy of that incident was overblown, with foreign media and Iranian citizens alike getting bad information. There was never definite proof that Ahmadinejad rigged the election. In terms of the violence the police committed against the Green Movement, if American rioters were throwing Molotov Cocktails at the White House, I guarantee you our government would react the same way.

You're right though, that Iran commits many acts that one day will hopefully be stopped. However, that is their culture, and it is the culture of many countries in this world. Only they can be the ones to progress and change, and only their own people can be the ones to bring about this change.

I would be curious to know of specific cases where the Iranian government cut off the hands of burglars. I would also be curious to know why Trayvon is all of the sudden a jewel thief and not just some pothead kid getting skittles from the corner store at night.
I suggest you go do a little research on Trayvon, then come back and talk about it. I'm not gonna do it for you.

I'm amazed at the negativity displayed in this thread towards Iran. You all speak as if you know everything there is to know about a country that doesn't speak our language, doesn't follow our religion, doesn't adhere to our laws, and doesn't follow our culture. I hope to one day work in Iran, and am currently learning Farsi, but even I don't claim to know what it's even like to live in the country.

If you think Iran is a threat to you (and I don't understand why you would), I suggest you fight your battles with positive energy, not negative remarks and jokes about "fatwas" and the like. You have to fight hate with love, darkness with light. All that being said, Iran is not your enemy, and will never do anything to this country or Israel. They are not developing a bomb. They are not supporting terrorism world-wide. This is an irrational fear. Please, re-think your feelings towards a country full of vibrant culture, and very human citizens.

your comment makes no sense at all-----who is "YOU"??? Iran is a threat
to millions of people. It did not CREATE HEZBOLLAH for nothing. For
a person interesting in LEARNING FARSI-----you are remarkably uninformed
as to both history and the current situation in the world. Here is a bit of a
revelation for you-------Hezbollah was CREATED for reasons of gross and
bloody IMPERIALISM------a program which I suspect you support.
I am fascinated that you wish to learn farsi------I have relatives who
know that language but other than being either someone born
there-----or someone who supports the filth the present Iranian
imperialist agenda----I cannot imagine why anyone would have an
ambition to learn Farsi. The only person I Know who STUDIED that
language as a teen-----was a muslim shiite from India

your comment makes no sense at all-----who is "YOU"??? Iran is a threat
to millions of people. It did not CREATE HEZBOLLAH for nothing. For
a person interesting in LEARNING FARSI-----you are remarkably uninformed
as to both history and the current situation in the world. Here is a bit of a
revelation for you-------Hezbollah was CREATED for reasons of gross and
bloody IMPERIALISM------a program which I suspect you support.
I am fascinated that you wish to learn farsi------I have relatives who
know that language but other than being either someone born
there-----or someone who supports the filth the present Iranian
imperialist agenda----I cannot imagine why anyone would have an
ambition to learn Farsi. The only person I Know who STUDIED that
language as a teen-----was a muslim shiite from India

I would appreciate if you did not just belittle me like I'm some uninformed child with no idea what he's talking about. I do not support imperialism, nor do I support many aspects of Iran's government. That being said, one way or another, the Iran- U.S. relationship, or lack there of, is one of the most important aspects of American foreign policy right now. THAT is why I want to learn Farsi, and THAT is why I'm studying Iranian history. I'm doing it because I feel the Iran nuclear issue, support of terrorism issue, and human rights issue are all being politicized by America and the U.N. Security Council. From the 1953 coup, to the dictatorship of Shah Pahlavi, to the revolution, the U.S. has completely mishandled relations with Iran.

It's too simple to say Hezbollah is just a mindless animal that follows Iran's every wishes. (In my opinion). Iran certainly funds them, and supports them politically, but in my mind they're still an entity which can think for itself as well. Do you think Iran is the only country which funds groups like Hezbollah to carry out its missions though? America does it, and has done it, ALL the time. Now the shoe is on the other foot, and we say Iran is being meddlesome.

If Iran is such an imperialist country, when was the last time they invaded somebody? Or went to war with somebody without being attacked first? They might say many things, but very seldom do they take action and attack other countries. Like, say, America does. Their last major conflict was the Iran Iraq war, and Saddam Hussein (who we supported) attacked first, and used chemical weapons against Iran (which we sold to him).

If the people in this thread feel Iran is doing something wrong, what do you suggest is the solution? Bombing them? Invading them? Sanctioning them until their people can't even buy a loaf of bread?

The threat of Iran is a self-fulfilling prophecy. We sanction them and prod them into a corner because we think they are our enemy. Well, if they weren't before, they sure as hell are now.

What do you see as Iran's current agenda though? Perhaps I am uninformed, so I need to be enlightened as to what countries are specifically effected by Iranian foreign policy.

I'm aware that the Trayvon case is based on American, secular law; no need to explain that. I cannot speak for the Iranian government, but their demand for justice for Trayvon is not necessarily "applying" Iranian law to an American case. At least, in their statements I don't see where they cited an Iranian law that would favor Trayvon over Zimmerman. They were simply stating an emotionally charged opinion, probably as a way of attacking the American government, as the American government often attacks the Iranian government. However, saying that Iranians should have freedom of speech or freedom of religion IS applying American law to Iranian life. It's a subtle, but in my opinion important distinction.

In terms of the transgressions you have stated, I have also acknowledged that I do not agree with all of them, or most of them for that matter. One stands out to me; your opinion that their recent elections were not free or fair. Was Rowhani, a moderate who most people felt the Ayatollah would NEVER allow to be elected, was his victory not free and fair? Or if you are referring to the 2008 Green Movement, much of the controversy of that incident was overblown, with foreign media and Iranian citizens alike getting bad information. There was never definite proof that Ahmadinejad rigged the election. In terms of the violence the police committed against the Green Movement, if American rioters were throwing Molotov Cocktails at the White House, I guarantee you our government would react the same way.

You're right though, that Iran commits many acts that one day will hopefully be stopped. However, that is their culture, and it is the culture of many countries in this world. Only they can be the ones to progress and change, and only their own people can be the ones to bring about this change.

I did not say Iran was imposing Iranian law. I said, "Iran is the one who is imposing their cultural values and understanding of law on the US." If Iran truly understood the legal process and followed the letter of the law, Rules of Court and Evidence then they would understand the prosecution did not meet their burden. Perhaps they do understand and just wish to criticize the US and stir the pot of discord. In any event they are enemies of the US and I hardly would expect any different from them.

I did not say Iran was imposing Iranian law. I said, "Iran is the one who is imposing their cultural values and understanding of law on the US." If Iran truly understood the legal process and followed the letter of the law, Rules of Court and Evidence then they would understand the prosecution did not meet their burden. Perhaps they do understand and just wish to criticize the US and stir the pot of discord. In any event they are enemies of the US and I hardly would expect any different from them.

In this way I agree with you, as I too agree with the verdict and the failure of the prosecution. I was simply stating their right to their opinion. Solid point though.

Forum List

Back