Can you be religious and pro science and technology?

1) You say that like you speak for all denominations of Christianity.

2) So you agree adultery should be a death penalty offense? Do you avoid eating pork and shellfish?
Isn't this an example of you cherry picking out of context?
That's the point. Cherry picking the OT isn't righteous. It's just cherry-picking. Either you accept it all or you accept Christ's message. Which do you think is correct?
Sure, but in the proper context. I'm saying yours wasn't.
Again, that's the point. An example of cherry-picking asking about someone filling their fat face with BBQ pork sammiches and Shrimp Po'boys while declaring "homosexuality is an abomination! The Good Book says so!"
What is the Biblical context of eating pork?

What is the Biblical context of homosexual sex?
Yes, in the context don't eat it and it's an abomination. If you can offer something to the contrary, please state so.

Ok, time for you to move the goalposts, no problem.
It doesn't really matter to me if the bible has stayed the same or not (the King James version sure didn't), but if you agree that it's a book of fiction, then we're on the same page.

If anyone changed the goal post, that would be you. The comment I responded to, was that the 4th Century Bible is not the same as the versions before it.

Of course it's not fiction. It is literal, and true. I'm a Christian. You're a pagan. We're not ever going to be on the same page. I'm ok with that. Unless you become a Christian... but clearly that isn't happening any time soon.
So how did Noah get roos from Oz and back? You said you have no clue. So the bible can't be literal if you can't even explain what happens in it.

Are you crazy? Do you know how many scientific theories existed for years and years before they could be explained? Do you know how many scientific law we have right now, that we can't explain?

Take gravity. Simple, easy, gravity. We know it exists. We know how it works. We know it's effect. And you can read reports a dozen pages long describing it.

What causes gravity? Mass? Ok.... but what causes the mass to create gravity?

You don't know. So obviously the entire theory is bunk, according to your own standards. Go to any university and tell them that.

"gravity can't be a literal truth, because I can't explain it" -Some moron on an internet forum somewhere.

Hey if you want to believe stupid things, that's fine. Whatever floats your boat man.
Do you know how many scientific theories existed for years and years before they could be explained? Do you know how many scientific law we have right now, that we can't explain?

the truth is your 4th century book did not have the wherewithall to properly portray and explain the parable of Noah, a failing throughout its text and why the proper revisions to their inaccuracies need to be made.

The story of Noah, and the Ark, is way older than the 4th century. Moreover, the fact that cultures around the world have similar origin stories, most of which include a great flood, suggests that there is accuracy in the story. After all, if there was a world wide flood, we would expect all ancient nations to have similar stories. And they do.
The story of Noah, and the Ark, is way older than the 4th century.

its inclusion in the christian 4th century bible is poorly portrayed and illogical because they did not have the wherewithall to understand it properly or were being deliberately deceitful in its composition.

Isn't this an example of you cherry picking out of context?
That's the point. Cherry picking the OT isn't righteous. It's just cherry-picking. Either you accept it all or you accept Christ's message. Which do you think is correct?
Sure, but in the proper context. I'm saying yours wasn't.
Again, that's the point. An example of cherry-picking asking about someone filling their fat face with BBQ pork sammiches and Shrimp Po'boys while declaring "homosexuality is an abomination! The Good Book says so!"
What is the Biblical context of eating pork?

What is the Biblical context of homosexual sex?
Yes, in the context don't eat it and it's an abomination. If you can offer something to the contrary, please state so.
I was thinking a little deeper than that. Before I get into it, let me just confirm what you believe about the Bible, ok? Do you believe the Bible is the Word of God? Or do you believe it is just something man dreamed up by himself?

I was thinking a little deeper than that. Before I get into it, let me just confirm what you believe about the Bible, ok? Do you believe the Bible is the Word of God? Or do you believe it is just something man dreamed up by himself?
Before you get into it? Why so coy? Are you hiding something?

The answer is neither. God chose to use man as a writing tool. God knows man is imperfect. God is all powerful, all knowing and all merciful. God could have imprinted the entire Bible into our genes, our memory. God could have written the Bible in the stars we see every night. Yet God chose an imperfect instrument to convey a message. Why? I think the answer is partly why God put us here; for us to figure it out for ourselves. After all, how can a school student learn anything if you give them all the answers?

Now, please, stop being coy and just explain yourself clearly. Feel free to go as deep as you like. If I don't understand, I'll ask. TIA

The answer is neither. God chose to use man as a writing tool. God knows man is imperfect. God is all powerful, all knowing and all merciful. God could have imprinted the entire Bible into our genes, our memory. God could have written the Bible in the stars we see every night. Yet God chose an imperfect instrument to convey a message. Why? I think the answer is partly why God put us here; for us to figure it out for ourselves. After all, how can a school student learn anything if you give them all the answers?

Now, please, stop being coy and just explain yourself clearly. Feel free to go as deep as you like. If I don't understand, I'll ask. TIA
Good Lord, no. I'm not hiding anything. Why the hell would you ask that?

The way I understand it, God did not dictate to man what to write. I envision He gave the authors visions and allowed them to put down what they saw in their own words. I can make a pretty good case for how Genesis is how someone 4500 ago would describe how the universe was created if God showed them a vision.

The Bible is effectively a how to book; how to live and how not to live. That's what I love about it, it tells the good and the bad. It doesn't hold anything back. The OT is basically the account of a people who cycle between remembering and forgetting God. When man becomes satisfied, he becomes proud and forgets God (i.e. practices failed behaviors), then he suffers, then he repents and remembers God (i.e. practices successful behaviors) and the cycle starts all over. It is still going on today. In secular vernacular it is called the saeculum cycle. Basically the seeds of our failures are sown in our successes and the seeds of our success are sown in our failures. It takes two generations for man to forget his suffering and return to his old bad habits, but it is the suffering which wakes him up and forces him to practice successful behaviors. Hence suffering is not all bad if one learns from it. But I digress.

The Bible is comprised of different literary types; allegorical, poetic, historical, law and prophetic. At the time the Bible was compiled, it significantly raised the bar on morals to a level that was heads and shoulders above their contemporaries. People today (especially atheists) can't understand how the Bible condones slavery when in reality what the Bible did was to raise the bar significantly on how to treat servants. Atheists tend to confuse forced slavery for indentured servitude mainly because they are dicks.

Anyway, the same things apply to the 600 or so laws (whatever the number is), God showed them visions and they were free to record them in their own words. I like to use the parent-child analogy for this. When our children are young, we have to give them rules (i.e. laws) to follow for their own protection (think OT) but as they get older we give them more latitude to make mistakes and learn (i.e. NT).

Anyway, back to that pork and all the other laws that people like to nit pick the Bible about (especially the OT) I can easily envision them eating undercooked pork and codifying it as a law to keep their people safe. Did God give them this vision? I have no idea. Maybe He did and maybe He didn't. I don't believe it matters. I do believe they were given great latitude in writing their laws as evidenced by what Jesus said about hardened hearts and marriage. The bottom line is this, nit picking the laws of the OT and comparing them to behaviors of moral conduct for the express purpose of justifying failed behaviors is a fringe argument and stupid. Not all violations are created equal and one violation should never be used to justify another.

Last edited:
You're a fucking doofus if you think you can prove the veracity of the bible by pointing to another book and saying "Look! That book is true, so the bible is true as well!" Go ahead, take that (non-)logic to a university and see what they say. :lol:

I don't think that was the original claim. At least not the claim I was arguing against.

The claim was that we can't trust that the Bible we have, is the Bible that was written.

If you want to argue that what was originally written is wrong... then that's a different argument.

But as far as suggesting that the Bible we have, is somehow drastically modified from what was the foundational basis of the early Christian church, and early Christian beliefs, that argument is false.

Take Homer’s Iliad for example. Is any part, or all of Homer's Iliad true? We could debate that. But is Homer's Iliad the real deal? Is it, what was originally written?

Well, people who study these ancient texts, have standards and requirements, by which they determine authenticity.

The standards by which they have proven the authenticity of Homer's Iliad, and numerous other ancient texts, the Bible not only meets all of them, but exceeds them many times over.

There is no question, no doubt, no debate by anyone of any authority, that the Bible we have today, is in fact the exact same text that was written 2,000 years ago.

You think what was written was wrong. And you have the right to be wrong about that. But short of blatant intellectual dishonesty, you can not argue the Bible has in any significant or meaningful way, changed from that which was written by the Authors.

In order for you to say that the Bible we have, isn't the same as the Bible that was written nearly 2,000 years ago, you would have to say that all ancient texts of the world, are frauds, and all the scholars, and Ph.d of academic study of these ancient texts, are also all frauds.

And that would make you a larger fool than you have claimed I am, by many times over... but it would still make a great youtube video to see you try and make that claim at a university.
Ok, time for you to move the goalposts, no problem.
It doesn't really matter to me if the bible has stayed the same or not (the King James version sure didn't), but if you agree that it's a book of fiction, then we're on the same page.

If anyone changed the goal post, that would be you. The comment I responded to, was that the 4th Century Bible is not the same as the versions before it.

Of course it's not fiction. It is literal, and true. I'm a Christian. You're a pagan. We're not ever going to be on the same page. I'm ok with that. Unless you become a Christian... but clearly that isn't happening any time soon.
So how did Noah get roos from Oz and back? You said you have no clue. So the bible can't be literal if you can't even explain what happens in it.

Are you crazy? Do you know how many scientific theories existed for years and years before they could be explained? Do you know how many scientific law we have right now, that we can't explain?

Take gravity. Simple, easy, gravity. We know it exists. We know how it works. We know it's effect. And you can read reports a dozen pages long describing it.

What causes gravity? Mass? Ok.... but what causes the mass to create gravity?

You don't know. So obviously the entire theory is bunk, according to your own standards. Go to any university and tell them that.

"gravity can't be a literal truth, because I can't explain it" -Some moron on an internet forum somewhere.

Hey if you want to believe stupid things, that's fine. Whatever floats your boat man.
So you admit that whatever is in the bible isn't provable, meaning it's fiction. That's a good first step. Nice. :cool:

Andy, here's a small test to see if the bible is true: how did Noah get kangaroos from Australia and then back again after the flood?

Don't know. Is anything impossible for an all powerful G-d? He created the entire universe. Getting a couple of animals from A to B, to him, is much easier than Amtrak getting people from LA to Seattle.
So you have no plausible theory, so you simply attribute all the nonsense in the bible to magic? Brah, you need to up your critical thinking game.
So if there's an all-powerful god looking out for us, why doesn't he cure cancer? Deformed babies? ...

There was no cancer to cure prior to us screwing up his design. Read the Bible dude. IT explains it pretty clearly. Creation was perfect and sinless. When we screwed up the world by rebelling against G-d, we tainted creation.

Believe it or not, G-d is not obligated to fix what you break.

And neither is he obligated to meet your demands to know how he did everything.

When I was growing up in my parents home, I had no idea how that home was built, or how they paid for it. It never occurred to me that until they explained it, I would refuse to accept my parents existence or authority.

And by the way... G-d will explain everything, and fix everything in the end. Read Revelations.

Of course that doesn't apply to you... Only the people who accept the Lord, will be in the recreated paradise. Where you'll be, I don't know. Depends on your choices before you die.
So if I don't obey a book, I won't get the rewards the book promises to give. Man, you're even more gullible than dingbat.

PS I'll accept "the Lord" when I get some solid proof that such a being exists, can't be any fairer than that. And I'm not falling for the "I read it in a book" proof, that's nonsense.

Why is that surprising? Have you never worked even the most simple and lame of jobs? If you do nothing but deliver papers, if you don't deliver the papers you don't get the reward of a paycheck, and spending money, and a chance at being promoted.

Why would you expect G-d to reward people who hate him, and refuse to follow his rules? If I come into your house, track mud all over the place, make a mess, refusing to follow the rules of your home, and at the same time start telling your wife she's ugly, and you, that your an idiot..... will you reward me?

Why would you expect G-d to act differently than you would?

As for you waiting for proof... G-d meets people where they are in their attitude. I have no idea what your attitude is. But if a person really wants to meet G-d, he'll show up. What G-d doesn't do, is show up for people who think they are 'owed' some proof, and demand it. He's not a Genie in a bottle, that obeys your command, or feels the need to prove himself to you.
I really, really, really want to meet god. No bullshit. Like, who wouldn't? lol.

Don't know. Is anything impossible for an all powerful G-d? He created the entire universe. Getting a couple of animals from A to B, to him, is much easier than Amtrak getting people from LA to Seattle.
So you have no plausible theory, so you simply attribute all the nonsense in the bible to magic? Brah, you need to up your critical thinking game.
So if there's an all-powerful god looking out for us, why doesn't he cure cancer? Deformed babies? ...

There was no cancer to cure prior to us screwing up his design. Read the Bible dude. IT explains it pretty clearly. Creation was perfect and sinless. When we screwed up the world by rebelling against G-d, we tainted creation.

When I was growing up in my parents home, I had no idea how that home was built, or how they paid for it. It never occurred to me that until they explained it, I would refuse to accept my parents existence or authority.

And by the way... G-d will explain everything, and fix everything in the end. Read Revelations.

Of course that doesn't apply to you... Only the people who accept the Lord, will be in the recreated paradise. Where you'll be, I don't know. Depends on your choices before you die.
So if I don't obey a book, I won't get the rewards the book promises to give. Man, you're even more gullible than dingbat.

PS I'll accept "the Lord" when I get some solid proof that such a being exists, can't be any fairer than that. And I'm not falling for the "I read it in a book" proof, that's nonsense.

Why is that surprising? Have you never worked even the most simple and lame of jobs? If you do nothing but deliver papers, if you don't deliver the papers you don't get the reward of a paycheck, and spending money, and a chance at being promoted.

Why would you expect G-d to reward people who hate him, and refuse to follow his rules? If I come into your house, track mud all over the place, make a mess, refusing to follow the rules of your home, and at the same time start telling your wife she's ugly, and you, that your an idiot..... will you reward me?

As for you waiting for proof... G-d meets people where they are in their attitude. I have no idea what your attitude is. But if a person really wants to meet G-d, he'll show up. What G-d doesn't do, is show up for people who think they are 'owed' some proof, and demand it. He's not a Genie in a bottle, that obeys your command, or feels the need to prove himself to you.
I really, really, really want to meet god. No bullshit. Like, who wouldn't? lol.
Marines have been arranging meetings with God in three different centuries now, but you can do it yourself via the Sylvia Plath or Robin Williams methods.

Marines have been arranging meetings with God in three different centuries now, but you can do it yourself via the Sylvia Plath or Robin Williams methods.
How do you know god is at the end of a rope?

The way I understand it, God did not dictate to man what to write. I envision He gave the authors visions and allowed them to put down what they saw in their own words. I can make a pretty good case for how Genesis is how someone 4500 ago would describe how the universe was created if God showed them a vision.

The Bible is effectively a how to book; how to live and how not to live. That's what I love about it, it tells the good and the bad. It doesn't hold anything back. The OT is basically the account of a people who cycle between remembering and forgetting God. When man becomes satisfied, he becomes proud and forgets God (i.e. practices failed behaviors), then he suffers, then he repents and remembers God (i.e. practices successful behaviors) and the cycle starts all over. It is still going on today. In secular vernacular it is called the saeculum cycle. Basically the seeds of our failures are sown in our successes and the seeds of our success are sown in our failures. It takes two generations for man to forget his suffering and return to his old bad habits, but it is the suffering which wakes him up and forces him to practice successful behaviors. Hence suffering is not all bad if one learns from it. But I digress.

The Bible is comprised of different literary types; allegorical, poetic, historical, law and prophetic. At the time the Bible was compiled, it significantly raised the bar on morals to a level that was heads and shoulders above their contemporaries. People today (especially atheists) can't understand how the Bible condones slavery when in reality what the Bible did was to raise the bar significantly on how to treat servants. Atheists tend to confuse forced slavery for indentured servitude mainly because they are dicks.

Anyway, the same things apply to the 600 or so laws (whatever the number is), God showed them visions and they were free to record them in their own words. I like to use the parent-child analogy for this. When our children are young, we have to give them rules (i.e. laws) to follow for their own protection (think OT) but as they get older we give them more latitude to make mistakes and learn (i.e. NT).

Anyway, back to that pork and all the other laws that people like to nit pick the Bible about (especially the OT) I can easily envision them eating undercooked pork and codifying it as a law to keep their people safe. Did God give them this vision? I have no idea. Maybe He did and maybe He didn't. I don't believe it matters. I do believe they were given great latitude in writing their laws as evidenced by what Jesus said about hardened hearts and marriage. The bottom line is this, nit picking the laws of the OT and comparing them to behaviors of moral conduct for the express purpose of justifying failed behaviors is a fringe argument and stupid. Not all violations are created equal and one violation should never be used to justify another.
It appears we're agreed the Bible is not the literal Word of God and that is it many things. In times when not many people can read and when books were both rare and very valuable, if a tribe or village had a book, it'd be the Bible. Hence why it is a tool of governance and "How to" in addition to writings about man's spiritual side.

I had an NDE during an accident. OTOH, we're all going to die at one point or another anyway, so you can arrange the meeting now or later. Since you posted "really, really, really want to meet god. No bullshit", it seemed you would want that meeting today.

I had an NDE during an accident. OTOH, we're all going to die at one point or another anyway, so you can arrange the meeting now or later. Since you posted "really, really, really want to meet god. No bullshit", it seemed you would want that meeting today.
It doesn't count when I'm dead, I'm talking with dingbat about believing now. Anyways, you're full of shit, you have no proof. You should probably just :anj_stfu:

It doesn't count when I'm dead, I'm talking with dingbat about believing now. Anyways, you're full of shit, you have no proof. You should probably just :anj_stfu:
Wow. Impatient, angry and sad little fella, aren't you? I bet you want to leave your room at home, have your own life, car and apartment but still have your parents pay for everything. Sorry, dude, it doesn't work that way. To be a responsible adult, you have to grow up and act like a responsible adult. To meet God, you have to transcend mortal life.

It appears we're agreed the Bible is not the literal Word of God and that is it many things. In times when not many people can read and when books were both rare and very valuable, if a tribe or village had a book, it'd be the Bible. Hence why it is a tool of governance and "How to" in addition to writings about man's spiritual side.
Why it is a tool of governance? Because it is effectively a how to book. How to live and how not to live.

Wow. Impatient, angry and sad little fella, aren't you? I bet you want to leave your room at home, have your own life, car and apartment but still have your parents pay for everything. Sorry, dude, it doesn't work that way. To be a responsible adult, you have to grow up and act like a responsible adult. To meet God, you have to transcend mortal life.

When the law came into the world and was given to man to be a light it was like the arrival of an otherworldly version of voyager containing detailed instruction about how to cleanse and structure the mind to activate its intrinsic ability to make contact with and learn from higher intelligences about how to prepare to survive physical death and enter the realm of permanent existence, eternal life.....

People live and then die. People who stop maturing and developing their intellect die way before the body does.

These are of the realm of the dead; the ones who have never mastered the law remain in hells keeping..which just means they live out their days as clueless and ignorant of truth as any lower beast in the eat or be eaten wilderness.

One does not have to transcend life, one has to embrace life.

Any person who has not taken the time or gone through the trouble of purifying and refining their own mind will never see anything clearly through a filthy lens.

Last edited:
....One does not have to transcend life, one has to embrace life.
Life is a step. Transcendence is the step beyond our current level.

yes. An upward step. The nature of life is ascendant.

I always find it amusing when someone says that unless God comes down from heaven and kisses their ass they won't believe,.

If life is a step, they haven't even taken the first one....

Forum List

Back