Can you be a republican and support gay marriage?

I am a Republican who opposes gay marriage. BUt I concur that if the majority of voters in a state want it, they are entitled to vote it into law. I just wish the gay marriage proponents were liberal enough to take the same attitude with those who oppose it.

9 Prominent Republicans Who Support Gay Marriage
9 Prominent Republicans Who Support Gay Marriage

“We are working to identify and mobilize this new emerging Republican majority who recognize that freedom means freedom for everyone, including our gay and lesbian friends and neighbors. This emerging majority believes the GOP should be big enough for people who have sincerely held beliefs on both sides of the marriage issue and that it should focus on advancing economic freedom, peace through strength and all the other core tenets the party is built upon.”

What a stupid fucking question. Do you KNOW who Ted Olson is?
Ok, it's a stupid question. As I see You have preferred to answer with your own one to that " stupid"? I didn't hear about Ted Olson a word. Is it bad.
However it just seems to me a little bit strange when Republicans support homosexual movement...
Because Republicans always oppose extending freedom to all Americans. We get it. We've seen it happen time after time after time. Republicans fear that by granting the same level of freedom to all Americans, somehow their own freedoms will erode. That's the thinking, and we accept it.

What a stupid fucking question. Do you KNOW who Ted Olson is?
Ok, it's a stupid question. As I see You have preferred to answer with your own one to that " stupid"? I didn't hear about Ted Olson a word. Is it bad.
However it just seems to me a little bit strange when Republicans support homosexual movement...
Because Republicans always oppose extending freedom to all Americans. We get it. We've seen it happen time after time after time. Republicans fear that by granting the same level of freedom to all Americans, somehow their own freedoms will erode. That's the thinking, and we accept it.
Spare us.
Who voted in cancelling medical insurance policies people bought and paid for?
Who voted for more restrictions on firearms ownership
Who voted to eliminate the privte market in student loans?
Who is pushing to eliminate local control of school curricula through Common Core?
The truth is Democrats want to control every aspect of your lives "for your own good."
Your talking point is pitifully out of whack with reality.

I don't see how that could work. Besides the benefits of marriage are primarily federal tax benefits. But if a SSM must be accepted in every state, then my concealed carry permit should also be accepted in every state.

States don't have to recognize out of state marriage licenses, but it is either recognize them equally or recognize none.

Can you identify any state that discriminates based on gender in the recognition of an out of state carry permit? If a state recognizes your states permit, don't they accept them all or none?

>>>>

what does gender have to do with it? my drivers license is accepted in all states, isn't yours?

The gender of the couples in a legal Civil Marriage was the basis for non-recognition. But you knew that right?

If a man and a woman were married and went to a different state - it was recognized. If a man and a man (or woman and a woman) were legally married and went to a different state - it was not recognized.

Man and woman is a gender (or sex) classification.

No state that I know of discriminates on the recognition of out of State licenses for carry permits or drivers licenses for that matter, based on the gender.

Do you know of any? Then you would have a valid comparison. Carry permits - not so much.

>>>>

Yes, gender matters. A marriage consists of one man and one woman. two men, two women, three men and four women, sisters, brothers are not marriages.

No it doesn't matter. Your opinion of what "marriage" is and what legal Civil Marriage are are two different things. Civil Marriage being between different-sex couples and same-sex couples has been passed by State Legislators, State Ballot Initiatives as well as by State and Federal courts. Civil Marriage - the thing the "License" you were talking about - is based on legal marriage.

Let's take pre-Obergergell decision - say May time frame.

Civil Marriage was legal in Maine. Now a young couple, one of which is in the military stationed at Naval Air Station Brunswick, get married. After the marriage couple is transferred under government orders to Naval Air Station Corpus Cristi.

Male/Female couple - there marriage remains valid.
Male/Male or Female/Female - there marriage becomes invalid.

The only difference between the two couples is the gender (or sex) or the couple.

>>>>

I agree. I think you should file a suit.

Why ? I don't plan to go to NJ of NY. My permit is valid in the states that I go to. But the principle is valid, drivers licenses are accepted in all states, now SSM licenses must be accepted in all states, so CC permits should also be. But I will let the NRA handle any suits.

So long as there is no SCOTUS opinion which says all states must recognize the permit, then all states don't have to recognize it Until a suit is filed and it works its way through the system, then just saying that is the way it should be means nothing.

Oh, I see. So now you are all for states rights. You are saying exactly what the confederacy said before the civil war.

No, I'm just explaining legal reality. If you don't believe me, walk up to a cop in NYC and explain that you have a concealed weapon and they have to honor your CC permit. I'm sure they will be impressed.

exactly my point. the double standard.

No. If you spent years in litigation, lobbying politicians, getting your message across to the public and winning over support and then you failed, you might have an argument for a double standard. Right now, the law is the law. If you think it is wrong, do something about it. If you don't want to put in the effort - you get what you earned.

Dear republicans, some questions to you.
Are you a republican that supports gay marriage?
Are these terms absolutely opposite?
How about being a republican and believing that the state has no place in the church's institution of marriage?
I am trying to be straight.

Yes. You just can't be a Christian Republican.

Well, not being a Christian I would not venture an opinion. However, I know quite a few republicans who are Christians who would dispute that.

They will get a chance to dispute their position when they stand before God. They just need to be prepared for, "Depart from Me, I never knew you."

How about being a republican and believing that the state has no place in the church's institution of marriage?

I am a "Republican" and I support gay marriage. Can you be a Democrat and support traditional marriage?

What happens if we divide by zero?

Ohhhhh sh---!
why are you trying to start a fight? Seriously, stop trolling. When someone says they support your right to get married, just move on. It doesn't matter if they wouldn't want you to get married in their particular church because you don't need a church to get married

Well, not being a Christian I would not venture an opinion. However, I know quite a few republicans who are Christians who would dispute that.

They will get a chance to dispute their position when they stand before God. They just need to be prepared for, "Depart from Me, I never knew you."

Or, perhaps, you will. The thing about being self-righteous is that it is all about the self.

Looking forward to it!

The LandLORD and the Gays...

Heteros have been demanding the state be all up in their marriages for a very long time. They demand all kinds of government cash and prizes for being married.

And then one day, the gays said, "Hey, we would like that same government stuff for being married, too." And the heteros were like, "What? Do you think you are SPECIAL or something?"

If the state wasn't all wrapped up in our marriages, same sex marriage wouldn't even be a POLITICAL issue. It would be a total non-issue.

Gay, straight...whatever.

Me, I don't try to be straight. I just am. That's how it works.

:D

They will get a chance to dispute their position when they stand before God. They just need to be prepared for, "Depart from Me, I never knew you."[/QUOTE]

Or, perhaps, you will. The thing about being self-righteous is that it is all about the self.[/QUOTE]

The "self'righteous" accusation is often used as a defense by people to avoid dealing with their sin. They would be better served if they treated disputes as an opportunity to understand God's Word and then follow His truth.

Or, perhaps, you will. The thing about being self-righteous is that it is all about the self.[/QUOTE]

The "self'righteous" accusation is often used as a defense by people to avoid dealing with their sin. They would be better served if they treated disputes as an opportunity to understand God's Word and then follow His truth.[/QUOTE]

And is often denied by the self-righteous. They might be better served to follow the teachings of Jesus and pay attention to their own issues before focusing on others. Just a thought, mind you.

In any case, I know a number of Christian Republicans who would dispute you.

for crying out loud. anyone else sick of hearing about homosexuals already?

these people act like all the people who are Democrats and liberals supports homosexual marriage. so they form the question as. can you be a Republican and support it

how lame

The "self'righteous" accusation is often used as a defense by people to avoid dealing with their sin. They would be better served if they treated disputes as an opportunity to understand God's Word and then follow His truth.[/QUOTE]

And is often denied by the self-righteous. They might be better served to follow the teachings of Jesus and pay attention to their own issues before focusing on others. Just a thought, mind you.

In any case, I know a number of Christian Republicans who would dispute you.[/QUOTE]

It is agreed that everyone has, and will have, sin throughout their earthy lives. This being the case, it is illogical to think that a person must resolve his own sin before sharing God's truth with others.

Christians are imperfect people who love other imperfect people enough to tell them when they are failing to follow God's commands. He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

Or, perhaps, you will. The thing about being self-righteous is that it is all about the self.

In any case, I know a number of Christian Republicans who would dispute you.[/QUOTE]

It is agreed that everyone has, and will have, sin throughout their earthy lives. This being the case, it is illogical to think that a person must resolve his own sin before sharing God's truth with others.

Christians are imperfect people who love other imperfect people enough to tell them when they are failing to follow God's commands. He who has ears to hear, let him hear.[/QUOTE]

It is not agreed. But if you are going to call yourself a follower of the teachings of Jesus, then you should really try to read the teachings of Jesus. Read them, not read into them to justify your own prejudices.

My own opinion, of course. You do whatever you want.

Forum List

Back