CDZ Can we have a serious discussion of how to fix the Affordable Care Act?

The failure of ACA is absolute and there is no fixing it. The worst part is, I believe that Obama and Democrats KNEW it wouldn't work and passed it anyway . Remember the "we have to pass the bill to know what is in it" bullshit? That woman should have been executed on the spot for treason.
I dont think it is a total failure as people are getting health insurance through the law.

But what would you do with the millions of people on it if you just toss it out?

What would I have done?

I'll tell you what I would have done. I would have combined the entire stimulus bill with the ACA and a host of other programs the Democrats have championed over the course of many years, and I would have doubled down that by closing down ALL welfare programs, then I would have sent each family in this country $1M tax free to spend as they saw fit. With the admonishment that the government was forever out of the welfare business after those checks were issued.

Awesome idea until you wanted a sandwich and a loaf of bread costs $50.00

Yeah, except that wouldn't have happened

The $1M per family would be less welfare than we actually DID put into the system each year and I'm only talking about a 1 time payment. Not the monthly amounts spent now.

Why the hell didnt they just take the few million people who had no insurance and put them on Medicaid and leave every one else the hell alone? Assuming you believe the government should be providing health insurance at alll, that is..
I have often wondered that myself, but I think that they were trying to harness the private sector to make more efficient options through competition, and there just hasnt been the demand to accomplish that.

There was NEVER going to be enough demand and EVERYONE told them that. The entire pyramid scheme was predicated on young , healthy people being able, and willing, to pay HUGE premiums that would somehow magically convince insurance companies to lower premiums overall , with the government subsidizing everyone else.

Young, healthy people looked at a $1K a month premium and said "no thanks, I'll pay the fine and sign up if something happens, because now I can't be denied , so why have insurance before I need it?"
They need some cheaper options to get the young healthy people who are immortal to buy into it.

Bypass them. Make employers paying less than 300% of the poverty level contribute $1 to their insurance premium for every hour worked for employees 18-27 and make the policy mandatory and do away with bootstrapping onto the parents.

why are employers expected to pay for ANY portion of their employees insurance?

Because they are the most direct conduit between the citizens and the government.

I have often wondered that myself, but I think that they were trying to harness the private sector to make more efficient options through competition, and there just hasnt been the demand to accomplish that.

There was NEVER going to be enough demand and EVERYONE told them that. The entire pyramid scheme was predicated on young , healthy people being able, and willing, to pay HUGE premiums that would somehow magically convince insurance companies to lower premiums overall , with the government subsidizing everyone else.

Young, healthy people looked at a $1K a month premium and said "no thanks, I'll pay the fine and sign up if something happens, because now I can't be denied , so why have insurance before I need it?"
They need some cheaper options to get the young healthy people who are immortal to buy into it.

Bypass them. Make employers paying less than 300% of the poverty level contribute $1 to their insurance premium for every hour worked for employees 18-27 and make the policy mandatory and do away with bootstrapping onto the parents.

Because they are the most direct conduit between the citizens and the government.

No they aren't but that irrelevant anyway. Do you contend that your employer should have to pay 10% of your auto insurance?

The failure of ACA is absolute and there is no fixing it. The worst part is, I believe that Obama and Democrats KNEW it wouldn't work and passed it anyway . Remember the "we have to pass the bill to know what is in it" bullshit? That woman should have been executed on the spot for treason.
I dont think it is a total failure as people are getting health insurance through the law.

But what would you do with the millions of people on it if you just toss it out?

What would I have done?

I'll tell you what I would have done. I would have combined the entire stimulus bill with the ACA and a host of other programs the Democrats have championed over the course of many years, and I would have doubled down that by closing down ALL welfare programs, then I would have sent each family in this country $1M tax free to spend as they saw fit. With the admonishment that the government was forever out of the welfare business after those checks were issued.

The $1M per family would be less welfare than we actually DID put into the system each year and I'm only talking about a 1 time payment. Not the monthly amounts spent now.

Yeah except that is exactly what would happen. People would spend money like mad buying crap they don't need and prices would skyrocket and an equilibrium would not be reached between supply and demand until the $1M/person was in Wall Street's pockets.

No they aren't but that irrelevant anyway. Do you contend that your employer should have to pay 10% of your auto insurance?

No they should pay 100% of it.

What would I have done?

Yeah except that is exactly what would happen. People would spend money like mad buying crap they don't need and prices would skyrocket and an equilibrium would not be reached between supply and demand until the $1M/person was in Wall Street's pockets.

No prices would not skyrocket. As for those that wasted their $1M and then were hungry.. Too bad, you can starve and we'll take your children from you if you neglect them.

Your employer DOES pay 100% of your auto insurance, in the form of your paycheck.

Good Lord.

...never mind. :rolleyes:

Some people still see the world as black and white, devils vrs angels and no one ever talks to the other side without being suspected of evil.

Off Topic:
Well, it seems that if you didn't before, you now do know the answer to your thread title question....

I did my part to offer a non-partisan response....Perhaps you'll find enough others who will too and get this thing back on track. Let's hope so, otherwise, this will be just another boring ACA diatribe beleaguered by folks who have little to no idea of what they are talking about and who are irrevocably convinced of the infallibility of what they believe on the matter.

What would I have done?

No prices would not skyrocket. As for those that wasted their $1M and then were hungry.. Too bad, you can starve and we'll take your children from you if you neglect them.

Keep dreaming. 360T in new money in circulation and prices would remain exactly the same. Sure. That is exactly what will happen.

Your employer DOES pay 100% of your auto insurance, in the form of your paycheck.

Good Lord.

Are you certain my employer does not pay 100% of everything I pay because I am self-employed?

Good Lord.

Are you certain my employer does not pay 100% of everything I pay because I am self-employed?

I don't debate in the CDZ with people like you, I mean seriously "employers should pay 100% of your auto insurance" have a nice night.

Good Lord.

I don't debate in the CDZ with people like you, I mean seriously "employers should pay 100% of your auto insurance" have a nice night.

There is nothing to debate. You don't challenge your own assumptions and prefer to relish in your ignorance.

Good Lord.

There is nothing to debate. You don't challenge your own assumptions and prefer to relish in your ignorance.

Well, when one challenges one's own assumptions that's one possible outcome. Others include but are not limited to:
  • Finding relief in the fact that one can bring an end to one's ignorance on the matter examined.
  • Applauding oneself for having the integrity to discover objectively and with genuine intellectual rigor what be or not be the true merit of one's position.

Good Lord.

Well, when one challenges one's own assumptions that's one possible outcome. Others include but are not limited to:
  • Finding relief in the fact that one can bring an end to one's ignorance on the matter examined.
  • Applauding oneself for having the integrity to discover objectively and with genuine intellectual rigor what be or not be the true merit of one's position.

I prefer to think of it as having more trivia stored up in case they have a radio contest that doesn't involve identifying a mystery sound.

Why the hell didnt they just take the few million people who had no insurance and put them on Medicaid and leave every one else the hell alone? Assuming you believe the goernment should be providing health insurance at alll, that is..

Why didn't Obama tell Nancy to shove the ACA where the sun don't shine and come back with a true public option like he asked her to do in the first place?

Why is a tough question, Bro...

I like the idea of replacing the ACA with a relatively unregulated insurance marketplace and an option of being able to buy in to Medicare at a rate based on our age if, and only if, we want to.

I sat here trying to come up with something to contribute to this thread, but I'm so frustrated about this topic that it's difficult to come up with anything civil at this point.

We have seven (7) different health care delivery/payment systems in this country, none of which communicate directly with each other. Evidently our leaders are perfectly fine with that. We're so far from having a sensible system that putting forth the effort to discuss ideas seems like completely wasted effort.

I have a specific plan for what the system would look like if I were King. But why bother? I know that we're not going to come anywhere near it.

Just to establish that the ACA is not doing great, I give a list of links that one can read to see the nature of the problems.

Sky rocketing insurance premiums so far, not reducing
Obamacare Insurance Premiums Set to Skyrocket Yet Again

It appears that enrollments are shrinking.
It’s official: Obamacare debuts with more canceled plans than enrollments

Aetna appears to be withdrawing from the ACA exchanges
Aetna pulling back from ObamaCare in blow to health law

And the Co-ops are steadily declining as well.
The Ruins: Two More Obamacare Co-Ops Collapse, Only One-Third Remain (For Now)

But what are the successes?

Millions of people now have insurance that never did. A great amount of stress on the public hospitals for free (uninsured care) has been lifted.

From Wikipedia:
Annual or lifetime coverage caps on essential benefits were banned.[73][74] Prohibits insurers from dropping policyholders when they get sick.[75]

A partial community rating requires insurers to offer the same premium to all applicants of the same age and location without regard to gender or most pre-existing conditions (excluding tobacco use).[76][77][78] Premiums for older applicants can be no more than three times those for the youngest.[79]

Preventive care, vaccinations and medical screenings cannot be subject to co-payments, co-insurance or deductibles.[80][81][82] Specific examples of covered services include: mammograms and colonoscopies, wellness visits, gestational diabetes screening, HPV testing, STI counseling, HIV screening and counseling, contraceptive methods, breastfeeding support/supplies and domestic violence screening and counseling.[83]

The law established four tiers of coverage: bronze, silver, gold and platinum. All categories offer the essential health benefits. The categories vary in their division of premiums and out-of-pocket costs: bronze plans have the lowest monthly premiums and highest out-of-pocket costs, while platinum plans are the reverse.[60][84] The percentages of health care costs that plans are expected to cover through premiums (as opposed to out-of-pocket costs) are, on average: 60% (bronze), 70% (silver), 80% (gold), and 90% (platinum).[85]

Insurers are required to implement an appeals process for coverage determination and claims on all new plans.[75]

Insurers must spend at least 80–85% of premium dollars on health costs; rebates must be issued to policyholders if this is violated

These are some serious benefits to the American people that the health insurance industry fought for decades. This is good stuff, but what is discouraging people from signing up?

Seems to me that, since the GOP abstained from helping to construct the ACA, the leftwing radicals got to monopolize the product.

One size fits all plans that force men to take pregnancy coverage, the exclusion of Catastrophic care plans with very high deductibles that can be combined with health savings accounts to cover most if not all of the deductibles and other costs were ignored and not included.

What do you think could be done, reasonably to reform the ACA?
There is no way to fix Obamacare. You can't fix something so complex, so convoluted, and so corrupt. It needs termination, but I suspect it will continue for decades, like most government programs.

The federal government is far too corrupt and incompetent to resolve HC. Clearly Obamacare is proof of this. It is nothing if not a sop to big hospital, big insurance, and big pharma.

Time to put in the Public Option like we should have done in the first place

Just to establish that the ACA is not doing great, I give a list of links that one can read to see the nature of the problems.

Sky rocketing insurance premiums so far, not reducing
Obamacare Insurance Premiums Set to Skyrocket Yet Again

It appears that enrollments are shrinking.
It’s official: Obamacare debuts with more canceled plans than enrollments

Aetna appears to be withdrawing from the ACA exchanges
Aetna pulling back from ObamaCare in blow to health law

And the Co-ops are steadily declining as well.
The Ruins: Two More Obamacare Co-Ops Collapse, Only One-Third Remain (For Now)

But what are the successes?

Millions of people now have insurance that never did. A great amount of stress on the public hospitals for free (uninsured care) has been lifted.

From Wikipedia:
Annual or lifetime coverage caps on essential benefits were banned.[73][74] Prohibits insurers from dropping policyholders when they get sick.[75]

A partial community rating requires insurers to offer the same premium to all applicants of the same age and location without regard to gender or most pre-existing conditions (excluding tobacco use).[76][77][78] Premiums for older applicants can be no more than three times those for the youngest.[79]

Preventive care, vaccinations and medical screenings cannot be subject to co-payments, co-insurance or deductibles.[80][81][82] Specific examples of covered services include: mammograms and colonoscopies, wellness visits, gestational diabetes screening, HPV testing, STI counseling, HIV screening and counseling, contraceptive methods, breastfeeding support/supplies and domestic violence screening and counseling.[83]

The law established four tiers of coverage: bronze, silver, gold and platinum. All categories offer the essential health benefits. The categories vary in their division of premiums and out-of-pocket costs: bronze plans have the lowest monthly premiums and highest out-of-pocket costs, while platinum plans are the reverse.[60][84] The percentages of health care costs that plans are expected to cover through premiums (as opposed to out-of-pocket costs) are, on average: 60% (bronze), 70% (silver), 80% (gold), and 90% (platinum).[85]

Insurers are required to implement an appeals process for coverage determination and claims on all new plans.[75]

Insurers must spend at least 80–85% of premium dollars on health costs; rebates must be issued to policyholders if this is violated

These are some serious benefits to the American people that the health insurance industry fought for decades. This is good stuff, but what is discouraging people from signing up?

Seems to me that, since the GOP abstained from helping to construct the ACA, the leftwing radicals got to monopolize the product.

One size fits all plans that force men to take pregnancy coverage, the exclusion of Catastrophic care plans with very high deductibles that can be combined with health savings accounts to cover most if not all of the deductibles and other costs were ignored and not included.

What do you think could be done, reasonably to reform the ACA?
There is no way to fix Obamacare. You can't fix something so complex, so convoluted, and so corrupt. It needs termination, but I suspect it will continue for decades, like most government programs.

The federal government is far too corrupt and incompetent to resolve HC. Clearly Obamacare is proof of this. It is nothing if not a sop to big hospital, big insurance, and big pharma.
So what do you do with the 9 million people already on some insurance connected with ACA?

And do you roll back the laws that prevent insurance companies from abusing their customers?

Forum List

Back