CDZ Can we have a serious discussion of how to fix the Affordable Care Act?

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Just to establish that the ACA is not doing great, I give a list of links that one can read to see the nature of the problems.

Sky rocketing insurance premiums so far, not reducing
Obamacare Insurance Premiums Set to Skyrocket Yet Again

It appears that enrollments are shrinking.
It’s official: Obamacare debuts with more canceled plans than enrollments

Aetna appears to be withdrawing from the ACA exchanges
Aetna pulling back from ObamaCare in blow to health law

And the Co-ops are steadily declining as well.
The Ruins: Two More Obamacare Co-Ops Collapse, Only One-Third Remain (For Now)

But what are the successes?

Millions of people now have insurance that never did. A great amount of stress on the public hospitals for free (uninsured care) has been lifted.

From Wikipedia:
Annual or lifetime coverage caps on essential benefits were banned.[73][74] Prohibits insurers from dropping policyholders when they get sick.[75]

A partial community rating requires insurers to offer the same premium to all applicants of the same age and location without regard to gender or most pre-existing conditions (excluding tobacco use).[76][77][78] Premiums for older applicants can be no more than three times those for the youngest.[79]

Preventive care, vaccinations and medical screenings cannot be subject to co-payments, co-insurance or deductibles.[80][81][82] Specific examples of covered services include: mammograms and colonoscopies, wellness visits, gestational diabetes screening, HPV testing, STI counseling, HIV screening and counseling, contraceptive methods, breastfeeding support/supplies and domestic violence screening and counseling.[83]

The law established four tiers of coverage: bronze, silver, gold and platinum. All categories offer the essential health benefits. The categories vary in their division of premiums and out-of-pocket costs: bronze plans have the lowest monthly premiums and highest out-of-pocket costs, while platinum plans are the reverse.[60][84] The percentages of health care costs that plans are expected to cover through premiums (as opposed to out-of-pocket costs) are, on average: 60% (bronze), 70% (silver), 80% (gold), and 90% (platinum).[85]

Insurers are required to implement an appeals process for coverage determination and claims on all new plans.[75]

Insurers must spend at least 80–85% of premium dollars on health costs; rebates must be issued to policyholders if this is violated

These are some serious benefits to the American people that the health insurance industry fought for decades. This is good stuff, but what is discouraging people from signing up?

Seems to me that, since the GOP abstained from helping to construct the ACA, the leftwing radicals got to monopolize the product.

One size fits all plans that force men to take pregnancy coverage, the exclusion of Catastrophic care plans with very high deductibles that can be combined with health savings accounts to cover most if not all of the deductibles and other costs were ignored and not included.

What do you think could be done, reasonably to reform the ACA?

Why the hell didnt they just take the few million people who had no insurance and put them on Medicaid and leave every one else the hell alone? Assuming you believe the goernment should be providing health insurance at alll, that is..

Why the hell didnt they just take the few million people who had no insurance and put them on Medicaid and leave every one else the hell alone? Assuming you believe the goernment should be providing health insurance at alll, that is..

I don't know why but they didn't and that is the thing. We're dealing with the consequences of so much liberal malarkey through the years, heaped in by the layer in every level and baked into the whole system of health care. It's difficult to "fix" something so terribly fucked up from top to bottom.

It starts with this notion of health care as a right. But you have to use a perverse definition of "right" to make this nationalized health care argument. A right is something you have that doesn't encumber another. For example: I have a right to freely travel. To come and go as I please is my right. But to use the liberal "right to health care" interpretation, my right to travel means you should have to pay for my airline tickets and hotel accommodations. I think most taxpayers would agree that I have the right to travel but they don't have the obligation to pay for it.

Step 1: Get the 50% of U.S. politicians doing their best to sabotage it to stop

^ typical liberal "those who disagree with our ideas should just shut up"
^ Says a guy with 0 interest in fixing Obamacare, and who will do his best to sabotage it at any cost

It was failed before it even began, there is no fixing it. You're damn right I have no desire to fix it.
Seeing as how that goes against the whole point of the thread, I guess you can kindly see yourself tha fuck out

giphy.gif

Nah, think I'll stick around.

The failure of ACA is absolute and there is no fixing it. The worst part is, I believe that Obama and Democrats KNEW it wouldn't work and passed it anyway . Remember the "we have to pass the bill to know what is in it" bullshit? That woman should have been executed on the spot for treason.

It was and is an idiotic attempt to get single payer by blackmail that took a very bad situation and made it much worse as it was designed to do.

Just to establish that the ACA is not doing great, I give a list of links that one can read to see the nature of the problems.

Sky rocketing insurance premiums so far, not reducing
Obamacare Insurance Premiums Set to Skyrocket Yet Again

It appears that enrollments are shrinking.
It’s official: Obamacare debuts with more canceled plans than enrollments

Aetna appears to be withdrawing from the ACA exchanges
Aetna pulling back from ObamaCare in blow to health law

And the Co-ops are steadily declining as well.
The Ruins: Two More Obamacare Co-Ops Collapse, Only One-Third Remain (For Now)

But what are the successes?

Millions of people now have insurance that never did. A great amount of stress on the public hospitals for free (uninsured care) has been lifted.

From Wikipedia:
Annual or lifetime coverage caps on essential benefits were banned.[73][74] Prohibits insurers from dropping policyholders when they get sick.[75]

A partial community rating requires insurers to offer the same premium to all applicants of the same age and location without regard to gender or most pre-existing conditions (excluding tobacco use).[76][77][78] Premiums for older applicants can be no more than three times those for the youngest.[79]

Preventive care, vaccinations and medical screenings cannot be subject to co-payments, co-insurance or deductibles.[80][81][82] Specific examples of covered services include: mammograms and colonoscopies, wellness visits, gestational diabetes screening, HPV testing, STI counseling, HIV screening and counseling, contraceptive methods, breastfeeding support/supplies and domestic violence screening and counseling.[83]

The law established four tiers of coverage: bronze, silver, gold and platinum. All categories offer the essential health benefits. The categories vary in their division of premiums and out-of-pocket costs: bronze plans have the lowest monthly premiums and highest out-of-pocket costs, while platinum plans are the reverse.[60][84] The percentages of health care costs that plans are expected to cover through premiums (as opposed to out-of-pocket costs) are, on average: 60% (bronze), 70% (silver), 80% (gold), and 90% (platinum).[85]

Insurers are required to implement an appeals process for coverage determination and claims on all new plans.[75]

Insurers must spend at least 80–85% of premium dollars on health costs; rebates must be issued to policyholders if this is violated

These are some serious benefits to the American people that the health insurance industry fought for decades. This is good stuff, but what is discouraging people from signing up?

Seems to me that, since the GOP abstained from helping to construct the ACA, the leftwing radicals got to monopolize the product.

One size fits all plans that force men to take pregnancy coverage, the exclusion of Catastrophic care plans with very high deductibles that can be combined with health savings accounts to cover most if not all of the deductibles and other costs were ignored and not included.

What do you think could be done, reasonably to reform the ACA?

It was designed to fail....they want to use it's failure to push government healthcare.....

This thread exemplifies the biggest problem facing the ACA. A whole lot of people want to sabotage it, and are willing to bring as much pain down as they possibly can upon American citizens to do so.
This is the CDZ sir, try a more honest level of discourse, No one here wants to hurt or cause harm to Americans.
I am being very honest.

Premise of the thread: How to fix Obamacare
My reply: Get the people who are purposely sabotaging it to stop.

I don't know why but they didn't and that is the thing. We're dealing with the consequences of so much liberal malarkey through the years, heaped in by the layer in every level and baked into the whole system of health care. It's difficult to "fix" something so terribly fucked up from top to bottom.

It starts with this notion of health care as a right. But you have to use a perverse definition of "right" to make this nationalized health care argument. A right is something you have that doesn't encumber another. For example: I have a right to freely travel. To come and go as I please is my right. But to use the liberal "right to health care" interpretation, my right to travel means you should have to pay for my airline tickets and hotel accommodations. I think most taxpayers would agree that I have the right to travel but they don't have the obligation to pay for it.
The ACA was govt's. way of subsidizing the insurance industry, at least at the corporate level, and the for profit medical industry, again at the corporate level...

This thread exemplifies the biggest problem facing the ACA. A whole lot of people want to sabotage it, and are willing to bring as much pain down as they possibly can upon American citizens to do so.

No one has to sabotage it......it is designed to fail....and it is......

The government running medicine will end like all other programs run by government....they can't even take care of military veterans with decent care and they are a tiny minority of the population.........so how do you guys think they can take care of the healthcare of 320,000,000 people....

only the left thinks that you can screw up medical care through the V.A..............and then expect to do it better when you are making it bigger.......

This is the CDZ sir, try a more honest level of discourse, No one here wants to hurt or cause harm to Americans.
I am being very honest.

So where were you when Democrats were sabotaging it as they wrote it?

No one has to sabotage it......it is designed to fail....and it is......

The government running medicine will end like all other programs run by government....they can't even take care of military veterans with decent care and they are a tiny minority of the population.........so how do you guys think they can take care of the healthcare of 320,000,000 people....

only the left thinks that you can screw up medical care through the V.A..............and then expect to do it better when you are making it bigger.......

See, I'm a vet and I would do away with the VA , PERIOD. I'll see my private doctor thank you, the VA can simply pay the bill. Done.

I am being very honest.

I am being very honest.

A strawman argument. Polosi, Obama and Reid created this monster as a booby-trap so stop your lying.

Forum List

Back