Can Trump Build His Wall Without the Support of Congress?

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
It seems likely Trump will proclaim a national emergency and issue an executive order to begin construction of his wall. Legal? What are the ramifications?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other than having that decision tied up in court?

I see that as a sufficient enough attempt to build a wall that it satisfies his base of rubes so they wont be totally disheartened.

No, because Congress controls the purse strings.

According to the Constitution at least.

I guess 22 million illegals in the US isn't an emergency for you.

I also guess the billions they cost we the tax payers isn't an emergency for you either.

Carry on Mr. No Emergency.

I see that as a sufficient enough attempt to build a wall that it satisfies his base of rubes so they wont be totally disheartened.

I Agee. That would pacify his base. However if the courts allowed the order to stand the precedent would be a game changer.

I Agee. That would pacify his base. However if the courts allowed the order to stand the precedent would be a game changer.

That wont happen. Drumpf would have to present evidence this is an emergency and reality isnt in his favor.

If he uses general discretionary funds already appropriated, it is constitutional and effectively bypasses the RaTz.

How can 28,000 illegal crossing a month under Trump be an emergency when 34,000 under Obama wasn’t and 81,000 under Bush wasn’t. Such action seems clearly designed to bypass congress when there is no emergency. If a president can declare an emergency anytime congress won’t give him what he wants, then we will have a problem far more serious than illegal border crossings.

Forum List

Back