Can the US afford that $5tr?

Four years ago I told people that I had grave misgivings about Barack Obama because when I looked at his record I simply didn't "see" anything that made me think he was qualified for the job as Chief Executive of the United States.

Four years later my misgivings have turned out to be well founded (and trust me I'm not patting myself on the back because it was pretty obvious that was the case back in 2008...I'm not some "master political prognosticator") and once again the country is being asked to elect a man who is unqualified for the job of President. I find it hard to fathom that there are intelligent people out there that CAN'T see that a mistake was made in 2008. The truth is, the Democratic nominee that year should have been Hilary Clinton and I think even hardcore progressives realize that. But now you progressives are "stuck" with Barack Obama whether you want him or not and if he's successful in his reelection bid, then the country is stuck with him as well...subjecting us to yet another four years with no leadership coming from the Oval Office.

My question is this...

What were you people thinking when you elected a Junior Senator with zero legislative ability and zero executive ability? How the heck did we end up with Barry as our President?
White suburban moderates who view themselves as sophisticated and enlightened thought it was time for the US to elect a black man to the White House.
These same people cannot stand themselves. They fee l guilty over their successes. They are ashamed that they are living the American Dream while other are not so fortunate.
It is these people who put Obama in office.
Now they are paying for their self hatred. They are the ones who have seen their homes lose ten years of equity. They have watched their jobs disappear. They have cut back on spending and watched their savings accounts dry up. They have had to pull their kids out of private school.
All because they voted for a person with zero management experience, zero policy experience and worst of all, a politician cut from the cloth of crooked Chicago politics.

Of course you're not a "liberal", Saigon! You just come here and make posts that consistently support liberal positions. (eye-roll) What's amusing is that no liberal has admitted to being a liberal for years now. You all refer to yourselves as either "progressives" or if you're REALLY on the "down low", you declare yourselves to be "independents". Funny how you guys need to keep changing your identity whereas conservatives remain conservatives.

Actually, the problem is that most conservatives on this board seem to think that the world operates on an "this-extreme-or-liberal" mentality. On this board, unless you're stark raving mad with extreme conservatism, drunk off the sweat of Rush and Beck, you're going to be called a liberal by someone. When someone like me can be called a liberal when discussing immigration, then that's a pretty clear sign that most on this board are suffering from all kinds of derangements.

The typical lament of a libturd who doesn't want to admit what he is.

I rest my case. I think it's funny, the conservatives around here babble on, desperately trying to turn liberal into a dirty word, and when someone denies being a liberal, they seize that as an opportunity to reenforce the faulty notion in the first place. But the truth is that these conservatives are the ones who are desperately trying to avoid admitting what they really are: extremists.

Actually, the problem is that most conservatives on this board seem to think that the world operates on an "this-extreme-or-liberal" mentality. On this board, unless you're stark raving mad with extreme conservatism, drunk off the sweat of Rush and Beck, you're going to be called a liberal by someone. When someone like me can be called a liberal when discussing immigration, then that's a pretty clear sign that most on this board are suffering from all kinds of derangements.

The typical lament of a libturd who doesn't want to admit what he is.

I rest my case. I think it's funny, the conservatives around here babble on, desperately trying to turn liberal into a dirty word, and when someone denies being a liberal, they seize that as an opportunity to reenforce the faulty notion in the first place. But the truth is that these conservatives are the ones who are desperately trying to avoid admitting what they really are: extremists.
Oh puhleeeeze...
The actions of liberals made liberalism a dirty word.
John Kerry while being interviewed reacted angrily when labled a liberal by the interviewer..
"I don't appreciate the characterization"...HIS words.

Where will the $5 trillion to find Romney's tax plan come from?

Fairly obviously it isn't all going to come from closing the odd loophole....

Can the US really afford to borrow another $5 trillion?

In the first place, Romney doesn't have a tax plan that will cost $5 trillion. Anyone with a little education and some common sense knows that. We have tens of thousands of pages of loopholes in the current tax code, and that leaves a broad field to comb through. In addition, the US economy is a dynamic entity and not subject to simple math. You are expected to know little things like that.

In the second place, if Obama is reelected, we will be borrowing that $5 trillion plus a few more trillion anyway. If anyone thinks the idiot in chief has even an iota of a clue of how to fix the economy, that person is fooling himself. After four miserable years, that ought to be obvious even to the dumbest Obama supporter.

What five trillion would you be speaking of? The five trillion dollars in tax cuts that the Obama campaign "says" that Romney has proposed? Didn't you get the memo on that, Saigon? Turns out the President and all the rest of you have been lying about that figure just like you've been lying about Romney planning to destroy Medicare and Social Security.

Just keep repeating it though, little buddy...maybe "someone" will believe you....

The number comes from a study by the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center that examined Romney's tax proposals - including his plan to reduce federal income tax rates by 20 percent, in addition to eliminating the estate tax and other tax reductions. The center estimated that the lost revenues would total $480 billion by 2015.

The Obama campaign used this number to project the cost over a decade and came up with approximately $5 trillion.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57527501/new-romney-ad-disputes-obama-claim-on-$5-trillion-tax-cut/

Last edited:
Charles -

No, he didn't specify.

And let's be honest here - any real conservative would be horrified by a presidential candidate who seems more concerned with populist tax cuts than he does with stabiizing the economy and paying down the sovereign debt.

For four years conservatives have (rightly) complained about spending - and yet here we see the same posters lining up to defend what amounts to a $5 trillion dollar spending spree - with no details on who is picking up the tab.

Will it be funded by increased economic acitivity?

In the short term, no it won't be. If for not other reason than because your export markets are struggling to.

And no, I have never swallowed Obama's Kool Aid either. I'm just amazed that those who laughed at the adoration 4 years ago are now doing exactly the samething.

Your failure to understand what Romney said, does not constitute an argument for or against Romney's plan. Nor, does your concept of "spending" improve your argument in the slightest.

A tax cut is not spending, any more than a cut in your salary is spending. A tax increase is not a reduction in spending, it is a tax increase. Consequently, when conservatives talk about "spending", they are actually referring to spending. Once you get your arms wrapped around that simple concept, your understanding can begin.

Export markets help our economy, but it is not dependent upon export markets. Nor, are we at the mercy of the Europeon economy, or any of the other economies around the world. That is mostly propaganda put out by the big banks that are heavily invested in those economies and stand to lose big if those economies fail.

The American economy needs predictable stability in taxes and regulations, and then it will begin to grow. Just gettin Romney elected will have a positive affect on the economy.

Oh puhleeeeze...
The actions of liberals made liberalism a dirty word.
John Kerry while being interviewed reacted angrily when labled a liberal by the interviewer..
"I don't appreciate the characterization"...HIS words.

I don't really see John Kerry as a liberal. He's just an idiot. There's a difference, ya know. ;)

Your failure to understand what Romney said, does not constitute an argument for or against Romney's plan. Nor, does your concept of "spending" improve your argument in the slightest.

And yet Business Week and Washington Post say exactly what I said, as have dozens of other news media. WaPo use the word "ruinous" to describe his plan.

Of course a tax cut is not extra spending genius - what it is is reduced revenue. Ask yourself what the difference is in earning less - or spending more. I think you'll find both mean that you are worse off.

By around $5 trillion, give or take the odd closed loophole.

050912.png

It's magic! Everything about Romney is magic!

And yet Business Week and Washington Post say exactly what I said, as have dozens of other news media. WaPo use the word "ruinous" to describe his plan.

Of course a tax cut is not extra spending genius - what it is is reduced revenue. Ask yourself what the difference is in earning less - or spending more. I think you'll find both mean that you are worse off.

Wrong. in the case of government "earning less" means it takes less out of my pocket. That's better for me. However, it is worse for all the parasites, moochers and looters.

The left can quit lying now. Cutter admitted it is not true. Of course, many knew that. The only ones who believed it were those who believes everything Obama says.

Cutter Concedes $5 Trillion Attack On Romney Is Not True

The left can quit lying now. Cutter admitted it is not true. Of course, many knew that. The only ones who believed it were those who believes everything Obama says.

That's a lie. More twisted Breitbart bullshit. BTW, Erin Burnett ain't the brightest bulb in the box.

Last edited:

That's a lie. More twisted Breitbart bullshit. BTW, Erin Burnett ain't the brightest bulb in the box.

Speaking of dim bulbs, did you bother to click on the link? I knew someone would dismiss it because it's Breitbart, but you might want to click on the link and watch the actual video of Cutter admitting that it is not true.

Speaking of dim bulbs, did you bother to click on the link? I knew someone would dismiss it because it's Breitbart, but you might want to click on the link and watch the actual video of Cutter admitting that it is not true.

I read the Breitbart article. That was enough. Did you read it?

Can America actually afford the 5.2 trillion Obama policies have added to the national debt over his less than 4 yr. presidency?..

What's amusing to me is that anyone with half a brain knows that the 5 trillion figure is not in the slightest way representative of what tax cuts coupled with tightening of deductions and loopholes would end up costing us and that the estimates that ARE given don't include the stimulative effects of tax cuts...yet you Obama sycophants keep trotting that figure out like its been carved in stone and handed down from above as "gospel".

I asked Saigon earlier to explain how Reagan was able to cut taxes yet only have revenues dip by a minute amount...a question that he ducked. Why is that, Saigon?

Forum List

Back