Can money buy happiness?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chanel, Jul 2, 2010.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    washingtonpost.com

This begs the question: Can generational welfare recipients ever feel happiness without "feeling respected, having autonomy, and working at a fulfilling job"?

2. Sherry

Sherry You're not the boss of me Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,076
    The mind is amazingly adaptive.

3. JW Frogen

JW Frogen Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    If you are a miserable bastard like Donald Trump money can't buy you happiness but poverty sure as hell can make anyone unhappy.

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    No.

But it can sure as hell stave off one hell of a lot of misery in most cases.

And in other cases it can rent, or in some cases, give you a long-term lease on happiness.

5. Barb

Barb Carpe Scrotum

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,586
    Poverty is more likely to lead to ill health, mental or otherwise, and there is a significant drop in psychological disorders in children who suddenly find themselves in less stressful economic circumstances. Less stress, less feelings of being out of control, less economic embarrassment and deprivation coupled with higher nutrition greatly lowers depression and improves the overall mental health of children.

The stresses of poverty are constant, and for children especially, seem endless. I don’t think the damage this type of stress does has been publicized enough, especially as an answer to those who cite “flawed character” theories about the behaviors of inner city children, teenagers, and young adults.

The Osage Indians are an example of higher economic status improving IQ among members of the tribal community. Poverty is stressful, stress makes it hard to concentrate and develop human capital. Poverty makes it challenging to maintain a nutritious diet. Nutrition is also important for brain health and development.

Bradley R. Schiller, The Economics of Poverty and Discrimination Tenth Ed. Pearson Prentice Hall, NJ, US, 2008

6. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,049
    it could buy me happiness i suppose butttttttttt

it can't buy me LOVE.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMwZsFKIXa8]YouTube - The Beatles - Can't Buy Me Love (Live)[/ame]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617

And yet..and yet ...and yet...almost without exception most of the men I have known have noticed how much more loveable we seem to be to others when we have money, as compared to when we don't.

Not that I think people are mercenary or anything.

But ya know...friends and lovers with money will get you through times of ennui far better than friends and lovers without it.

8. masquerade

masquerade positivity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I am living proof that positive thoughts and actions can change ones life for the better. Sure, to some it may sound silly. It did to me when I first started.

This is true for every aspect of ones life, including finances. There is plenty of money out there for everyone. You just need to open yourself up to that fact and welcome prosperity from everywhere you turn. Pay your bills with love and know that an abundance flows freely through you.

Sure, money does make one more comfortable. Hell, I just bought a bigger vehicle. With the money I've spent ( and will continue to spend ) I've made myself extremely happy! Knowing each morning and afternoon I'm surrounded in comfort while driving to and from work. Ahhhhh ... life is good.

9. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,974
    If you have your own money and are in control of it, maybe. If you are married to someone who is rich and they hand you money all the time, doubtful. It is the same when you earn a lot of money but you despise your job. You aren't as happy as you could be because someone else has power over you.

It's more about control, power and strength than about the money.

Welfare recipients don't have any self esteem, they must be miserable unless they've found side jobs that pay under the table or some other profitable underground business.

10. ConHog

ConHog BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +897
    ANyone who says money can't buy happiness just doesn't know where to shop.