Can Krispy Kreme Legally 'Shut Down' Re-Sale Of Their Doughnuts?

...then KK needs to have their lawyerssend the 'Cease & Desist' letter....

Because there was no Kispy Kreme business anywhere nearby, a Minnesota college student drove 270 miles to Clive, Iowa, every Saturday to buy up to 100 boxes of doughnuts, drive them back, and re-sell them to customers willing to pay $17 to $20 per dozen. Some customers reportedly paid Jayson Gonzales as much as $100 per doughnut run for the doughnuts. 'There has not been a Krispy Kreme outpost in Minnesota for 11 years, which prompted the high demand Gonzalez saw.'

Upon learning about this, Krispy Kreme sent Gonzales a letter telling him he had to 'shut down' his business because his side business was a 'liability' to Krispy Kreme. KK added, "We appreciate Jayson's passion for Krispy Kreme and his entrepreneurial spirit as he pursues his education."

1. So, was Gonzales breaking any law by re-selling the doughnuts be purchased? Did / Does KK have any legal leg to stand on in demanding Gonzales stop making these runs and re-selling the doughnuts?

IMO, if they did, Gonzales would have received an official, legal 'Cease and Desist' order instead of a corporate letter informing Gonzales that he 'had' to stop.

2. What 'Liability' was Gonzales' re-selling the doughnuts causing in a location where KK chose not to have a franchise?

If anything, IMO again, KK should reach out to Gonzales and THANK him for pointing out such a high-demand area for expansion, if not offering to give him part (if not total) ownership of his own KK franchise in the are in which he was re-selling their doughnuts!
What say YOU?
Krispy Kreme orders Minnesota student who bought, resold doughnuts to 'shut down operations'.

Not if I were buying them! They claimed a "liability" issue. Bullshit. The guy is selling them paid full price for them, they are his to do as he pleases. He is selling them as resold Krispy's, people know this, he is not representing himself as a Krispy dealer. I'd tell Krispy to go get stuffed (they probably won't sell him 100 boxes anymore anyways since he was stupid enough to advertise what he was doing).

Krispy should have told them he can't sell them in their boxes or must make it clear Krispy claims no liability or relationship with him. I haven't had a Krispy in ages. Now I guess I never will again.

You cannot buy product with the intention of reselling it without the sellers permission.

Ummm - statute?

Here ya go

Is It Legal to Buy and Resell Items?

Try using 1% of your brain. For one thing, there is no warranty or trademark issues with a doughnut, knucklehead. Second, Krispy Kreme has already proven you wrong. They have already done a 180.

Krispy Kreme: Minnesota student Jayson Gonzalez's doughnuts are back

:auiqs.jpg:

Because there was no Kispy Kreme business anywhere nearby, a Minnesota college student drove 270 miles to Clive, Iowa, every Saturday to buy up to 100 boxes of doughnuts, drive them back, and re-sell them to customers willing to pay $17 to $20 per dozen. Some customers reportedly paid Jayson Gonzales as much as $100 per doughnut run for the doughnuts. 'There has not been a Krispy Kreme outpost in Minnesota for 11 years, which prompted the high demand Gonzalez saw.'

Upon learning about this, Krispy Kreme sent Gonzales a letter telling him he had to 'shut down' his business because his side business was a 'liability' to Krispy Kreme. KK added, "We appreciate Jayson's passion for Krispy Kreme and his entrepreneurial spirit as he pursues his education."

1. So, was Gonzales breaking any law by re-selling the doughnuts be purchased? Did / Does KK have any legal leg to stand on in demanding Gonzales stop making these runs and re-selling the doughnuts?

IMO, if they did, Gonzales would have received an official, legal 'Cease and Desist' order instead of a corporate letter informing Gonzales that he 'had' to stop.

2. What 'Liability' was Gonzales' re-selling the doughnuts causing in a location where KK chose not to have a franchise?

If anything, IMO again, KK should reach out to Gonzales and THANK him for pointing out such a high-demand area for expansion, if not offering to give him part (if not total) ownership of his own KK franchise in the are in which he was re-selling their doughnuts!
What say YOU?
Krispy Kreme orders Minnesota student who bought, resold doughnuts to 'shut down operations'.

Not if I were buying them! They claimed a "liability" issue. Bullshit. The guy is selling them paid full price for them, they are his to do as he pleases. He is selling them as resold Krispy's, people know this, he is not representing himself as a Krispy dealer. I'd tell Krispy to go get stuffed (they probably won't sell him 100 boxes anymore anyways since he was stupid enough to advertise what he was doing).

Krispy should have told them he can't sell them in their boxes or must make it clear Krispy claims no liability or relationship with him. I haven't had a Krispy in ages. Now I guess I never will again.

You cannot buy product with the intention of reselling it without the sellers permission.

Ummm - statute?

Here ya go

A lot of non-applicable "ifs" there.

Frankly, I am not too impressed with Krispy Kremes

Too much air and too much sugar

What say YOU?

Ummm - statute?

Here ya go

Try using 1% of your brain. For one thing, there is no warranty or trademark issues with a doughnut, knucklehead. Second, Krispy Kreme has already proven you wrong. They have already done a 180.

"The company said in a statement Monday that Jayson Gonzalez of Champlin can now work with Krispy Kreme as an independent operator."

Fantastic! He did what he should have done from the beginning. He's well on his way to owning a franchise.

Ummm - statute?

Here ya go

"The company said in a statement Monday that Jayson Gonzalez of Champlin can now work with Krispy Kreme as an independent operator."

Fantastic! He did what he should have done from the beginning. He's well on his way to owning a franchise.

Franchise? Where did it say anything about that? He didn't do or change a thing, they came back to HIM after they saw what a negative national publicity event their stupid actions had become and are now just trying to make it a positive one. Dumbass.

They probably got 10,000 complaints from customers saying they were through with them.

Ummm - statute?

Here ya go

Franchise? Where did it say anything about that? He didn't do or change a thing, they came back to HIM after they saw what a negative national publicity event their stupid actions had become and are now just trying to make it a positive one. Dumbass.

They probably got 10,000 complaints from customers saying they were through with them.
Agree
The kid has nowhere near the assets to own a KK franchise
They should set up a delivery service for him so he doesn’t have to drive so far

Agree
They should set up a delivery service for him so he doesn’t have to drive so far
Meanwhile....
73324299_2550117771693623_5894670845132931072_n.jpg

Agree
Meanwhile....
73324299_2550117771693623_5894670845132931072_n.jpg
What does that have to do with Krispy Kreme?

There is no way of controlling casual sales of donuts. You can't arrest a college kid for making a buck and you can't arrest people in an office for charging for donuts in a coffee room. I think KK can prevent commercial resale of their product though.

It is kind of ironic that the boycott meant less people got KK doughnuts in a bid to get more people the doughnuts, but it worked.

Forum List

Back