Can Anyone Be a "Professor"?

Can Anyone Be a "Professor"?​

Apparently ...

mm1-e1533922373870.jpg

In the UK
Undergraduate -- typically 3 years for a BSc or BA degree .
Postgraduate work leading to a PhD
Usual up-the-ladder jobs in teaching/tutoring /researching
Publish as many papers /reports / research projects as possible .
Top social network can help .
Apply, or wait for a fellow mason to give you the "nod" .

I would bet that modern young proffessors are sometimes tattooed, pierced etc. I read but Im not really sure but i think that the new law in Austria allows police officers to be tattooed, 30 years ago for example, a police officer was not allowed to be tattooed.

I would bet that modern young proffessors are sometimes tattooed, pierced etc. I read but Im not really sure but i think that the new law in Austria allows police officers to be tattooed, 30 years ago for example, a police officer was not allowed to be tattooed.
They're having increasing difficulty finding quality people for the job. They've had to lower their standards. Soon they'll be recruiting gang members

The Boy and Favorite Daughter in Law #1 taught classes while they were doing grad work. He currently teaches a small number of classes and advises students on their projects. To be a "professor" he needs to finish his doctorate.

Although the term is often used loosely, "Professor" is a professional title, usually well-earned. Depending on the institution that confers the title, it usually requires a doctorate, learned papers published in reputable journals, experience, and a vote of competence from one's academic peers. It doesn't necessarily mean that you are a great teacher, but it is something to be proud of in your field.

As with a lot of other things, it has been watered down considerably in some institutions and areas of study. I'll say no more.

Although the term is often used loosely, "Professor" is a professional title, usually well-earned. Depending on the institution that confers the title, it usually requires a doctorate, learned papers published in reputable journals, experience, and a vote of competence from one's academic peers. It doesn't necessarily mean that you are a great teacher, but it is something to be proud of in your field.

As with a lot of other things, it has been watered down considerably in some institutions and areas of study. I'll say no more.
Adjunct professors now teach over 50% of college courses and most only have Masters degrees.

Edit: apparently the article I linked cannot be accessed. Nevertheless my comment is accurate.

An "Adjunct Professor" is not a professor. Not even close. It is a part-time teacher.

Some of my best college and grad school teachers were "Adjunct Professors" who actually worked in the field and had insights that few college instructors and even Professors had.

A professor is someone who can scream obscenities at the students and not get fired ... kids are lined up three years deep to take their class ...

A professor can make a short-wave transmitter out of seashells, coconuts and palm leaves ... but can't fix a hole in the SS Minnow ...

Forum List

Back