Calvin Coolidge born July 4 Hero to tea partiers

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he were a Democrat and spend us to oblivion they'd build 57 monuments to him: one per state

BeCool.jpg

Calvin Coolidge, born July 4: Hero to tea partiers Breaking News The Herald Bulletin

They are building a museum in his honor. With his austerity, shouldn't they instead donate they money raised to...I don't know...BP or something?

Coolidge was the last president who truly practiced limited government the way the Founders intended.

Where did the founders state what size government they expected in the year 2010?

Where do they put any limitations on the size of government?

Calvin Coolidge, born July 4: Hero to tea partiers Breaking News The Herald Bulletin

They are building a museum in his honor. With his austerity, shouldn't they instead donate they money raised to...I don't know...BP or something?

Coolidge was the last president who truly practiced limited government the way the Founders intended.

Where did the founders state what size government they expected in the year 2010?

Yeah, what page of the Constitution is that on?

President Coolidge came down, on a railroad train,
with a little fat man with a notepad in his hand.
President say "little fat man, isn't it a shame?
What the river has done to this poor cracker's land."

And these three presidents died on that day.

•John Adams (1826)
•Thomas Jefferson (1826)
•James Monroe (1831)

I wonder how soon before we no longer celebrate this most important day? It would change to Dependence Day, November 4th, 2012, if we are not wise.....

Enumerated Powers ring any bells?

STATES can become fat bloated sacks of protoplasm, and suffer the repercussions. but the feds are strictly limited... when governed honestly and constitution interpreted accurately, which it hasn't been since 1932.

OH! Now I know why all you republicans get all wet when Coolidge's name comes up. He was Reagon #1. Take from the poor and give to the rich! That worked out well for everyone! Can you spell DEPRESSION?

American President: Calvin Coolidge: Impact and Legacy

Although the public liked and admired Calvin Coolidge during his tenure, the Great Depression that began in 1929, less than a year after he left office, seriously eroded his reputation and changed public opinion about his policies.

His policies that favored tax cuts for the rich seriously contributed to an unfair distribution of wealth and the overproduction of goods. By 1929, the nation had over five hundred families with incomes over $1 million, and the top fifth of the population controlled nearly 60 percent of the nation's wealth.

•John Adams (1826)
•Thomas Jefferson (1826)
•James Monroe (1831)

I wonder how soon before we no longer celebrate this most important day? It would change to Dependence Day, November 4th, 2012, if we are not wise.....

Its amazing that both Adams and Jefferson who worked together on the Declaration of Independence died on the exact same day exactly 50 years after its signing

STATES can become fat bloated sacks of protoplasm, and suffer the repercussions. but the feds are strictly limited... when governed honestly and constitution interpreted accurately, which it hasn't been since 1932.

Nothing restricts the size of the federal government..

Nice bluff though

•John Adams (1826)
•Thomas Jefferson (1826)
•James Monroe (1831)

Its amazing that both Adams and Jefferson who worked together on the Declaration of Independence died on the exact same day exactly 50 years after its signing
It's also interesting that Adams last words were "Thomas Jefferson lives!". Jefferson had died earlier that day.

Quote:
Although the public liked and admired Calvin Coolidge during his tenure, the Great Depression that began in 1929, less than a year after he left office, seriously eroded his reputation and changed public opinion about his policies.

Yeah, interesting quote. Then again, he was being demonized for intrinsic failures in the structure of the Stock Market. The one good thing that came out of the crash of 1929, were safeguards on investment. Honestly, every crash we've suffered has shown places where trading can be safer and more fair. This then opened up the market for more people to safely join in.

His policies that favored tax cuts for the rich seriously contributed to an unfair distribution of wealth and the overproduction of goods. By 1929, the nation had over five hundred families with incomes over $1 million, and the top fifth of the population controlled nearly 60 percent of the nation's wealth.

Ah yes. The wealthy are intrinsically evil line. How well did the nation fear when many of those families were ruined during FDR? Oh that's right... not so well. Nobody had the capital to rebuild and restart.

But then again, when you look at the Miller Center for Public Affairs out of the UV. Although they claim non-partisanship, I really question it with statements demonizing the wealthy and implying that Cal's fiscal policy is directly responsible to the stock market crash. I particularly doubt their impartiality thanks to phrases like this:

In the conservative 1980s, Coolidge regained some of his stature. President Ronald Reagan returned his portrait to the Oval Office. Reagan also praised Coolidge's political style and complacent leadership for producing four years of prosperity, peace, and balanced budgets. Nevertheless, scholarly opinion looks upon the Coolidge presidency with skepticism, ranking him among the lowest of American chief executives in terms of his administration's positive impact and legacy.

Talk about begging the question.

Nice bluff though
Sure it does. You have only a short list of things federal government may do. The Fed size is then governed by logistics and waste toleration.

Nice bluff though
Sure it does. You have only a short list of things federal government may do. The Fed size is then governed by logistics and waste toleration.

Still playing a losing hand......

Can you back it up with Legal findings?

Nice bluff though

RW, can you believe that Fits is still claiming that he is a constitutional scholar and has anything worthwhile to say about it. He is the forum punch bag on this issue and keeps coming back for more.

You are right. The Constitution says nothing about the size of the government.

RW, can you believe that Fits is still claiming that he is a constitutional scholar and has anything worthwhile to say about it. He is the forum punch bag on this issue and keeps coming back for more.

You are right. The Constitution says nothing about the size of the government.

From my understanding of things many of the programs that are in question of being constitutionally correct also are the programs that have failed or are failing like was predicted. Basically it seems to me that many ideas like the DoE, SS, Medicare the FED and so on were put in place by promising a better life for people, buying votes most call it.

So I would agree with Big Fitz that constitutionally many programs have overstepped their bounds. Many people understand they would lose votes for “their side” if the programs were taken away and personal responsibility was brought back into our culture.

I do have a question for some of you guys here that don’t seem to like CC. It seems a big argument is that he brought on the depression, how? The crash was going to happen regardless of who was in office. What I think would have happened under a prolonged CC presidency is it would have repaired itself quickly, like it did under Warren G.

Instead of allowing the correction the next president, the president the depression actually happened under grew government, raised taxes and put regulations in the way. He failed all four years and then the next president failed for the rest of the depression by exploding the size of government and its role in the economy and such.

It would seem the proff as best you can prove it is that CC did things in a way that made people’s lives richer and FDR’s rules literally kept the US in a prolonged depression. I say this because both policy’s of government intervention and non government intervention happened back to back, 2 depressions in less than 15 years and yet one set of policy’s worked and one made things worse…

"Liberty is not collective, it is personal. All liberty is individual liberty."
Calvin Coolidge

Hat tip to Cal. One of the very few good ones in the 20th Century.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back