Calm act

CALM Act

• Total voters
Because it _IS_ the same thing. The argument is that advertisers have a right to do it even if it's a nuisance to others. But a line has to be drawn somewhere. OF COURSE it's not the same degree of nuisance, but it's the same argument.

Here's something on a closer scale to what's being discussed.

I don't know how you feel about censorship in general, but you're not allowed to say fuck shit ass **** bitch on certain channels and/or certain times of day, or show nudity or gratuitous violence. This is so children won't be exposed to things they shouldn't be seeing. Would you then make the argument that if there was nudity on Nickelodeon, no big deal because they could just change the channel? By the time you're able to change the channel, the kid's already seen the nudity, not?

flinging poo at your house is vandalism. there's already a law which prevents it.

If there wasn't a law, it would be legal, get it? If you think preventing a nuisance is never OK if it inconveniences somebody else, you are an anarchist.

Jesus Christ, you're thick :eusa_eh:

That's all I'm saying. You guys keep insinuating that I'm proclaiming the scenarios as equivalent levels of nuisance. I'm not. I'm just pointing out that something _CAN_ be illegal to protect the interests of most people, even if it inconveniences others.

you

are

an

idiot

I think the thread proves beyond any doubt that nanny-staters are mentally deficient

Because it _IS_ the same thing. The argument is that advertisers have a right to do it even if it's a nuisance to others. But a line has to be drawn somewhere. OF COURSE it's not the same degree of nuisance, but it's the same argument.

Here's something on a closer scale to what's being discussed.

I don't know how you feel about censorship in general, but you're not allowed to say fuck shit ass **** bitch on certain channels and/or certain times of day, or show nudity or gratuitous violence. This is so children won't be exposed to things they shouldn't be seeing. Would you then make the argument that if there was nudity on Nickelodeon, no big deal because they could just change the channel? By the time you're able to change the channel, the kid's already seen the nudity, not?

flinging poo at your house is vandalism. there's already a law which prevents it.

If there wasn't a law, it would be legal, get it? If you think preventing a nuisance is never OK if it inconveniences somebody else, you are an anarchist.

That's all I'm saying. You guys keep insinuating that I'm proclaiming the scenarios as equivalent levels of nuisance. I'm not. I'm just pointing out that something _CAN_ be illegal to protect the interests of most people, even if it inconveniences others.

There's a difference between nuisance and vandalism.

Write your congressman.

But just to clarify, we're not talking about something that can be rectified simply by "Adjusting the volume." We're talking about low volume on programming, followed by noticeably louder volume on the commercials. Unless you can predict the moment such a commercial is going to come on, you can't adjust it for every commercial.

Plus, it's an obnoxious practice used by advertisers and shouldn't have been allowed in the first place. IMO.

It doesn't matter if you can predict it or not, when it appears too loud, you click the down button for christ's sakes.

If only there were some kinda 'shutup, tv' button

remote_mute_button_fig.jpg

I wonder what this button does...

You're not terribly clever. I think we all know there's such a thing as a mute button. I don't think I should have to employ it every time an obnoxiously loud commercial comes on. I think you're going to find that most of the country agrees with me.

If you disagree, write your congressmen. Don't know what else to tell you.

It doesn't matter if you can predict it or not, when it appears too loud, you click the down button for christ's sakes.

You're not terribly clever. I think we all know there's such a thing as a mute button. I don't think I should have to employ it every time an obnoxiously loud commercial comes on. I think you're going to find that most of the country agrees with me.

I should have to change the channel every time some retarded 'reality tv' show some on, either

LET'S BAN THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111!!!!

here

I should have to change the channel every time some retarded 'reality tv' show some on, either

here

Totally different. You've elected to watch or not watch a reality show.

here

As have you- you elected to watch the tv

You have the power to turn it off or mute it- if you elect not to, that's on you

do ya get it now or do ya need a new government body to explain it to you?

here

You have the power to turn it off or mute it- if you elect not to, that's on you

Where u @ on the space advertising thing?

"Durrrrrrr you elected to look at the sky..."

There's not any channel or program dedicated to obnoxiously loud commercials. Nobody chooses to see them. They're slipped in with other programming; Other programming that you're choosing to watch.

People "Elect" to watch reality. NOBODY "Elects" to watch loud commercials.

There's not any channel or program dedicated to obnoxiously loud commercials. Nobody chooses to see them. They're slipped in with other programming; Other programming that you're choosing to watch.

You chose to watch the channel. Don't like it? Turn off the TV. Or get a limiter. Or get Hulu. Or wait for the show to come out on DVD.

Time to grow up and stop crying for the nanny every time a commercial interrupts Barney.

You chose to watch the channel. Don't like it? Turn off the TV. Or get a limiter. Or get Hulu. Or wait for the show to come out on DVD.

Time to grow up and stop crying for the nanny every time a commercial interrupts Barney.

Is that your way of saying we agree to disagree?

Condescending prick.

Condescending prick.

It's my way of saying 'Grow the fuck up. Either turn off the TV or deal with it. Stop being a retarded and saying stupid shit like "you flinging poo at my house is the same as me turning on my own tv and bitching about the tv being on", you stupid fuck. Show some personal responsibility like a grown adult.'

You waste of fucking life.

I wonder if they'd be upset if we, the owners of the airwaves, forbade broadcasters from using subliminal messaging?

:eusa_eh:

Condescending prick.

It's my way of saying 'Grow the fuck up. Either turn off the TV or deal with it. Stop being a retarded and saying stupid shit like "you flinging poo at my house is the same as me turning on my own tv and bitching about the tv being on", you stupid fuck. Show some personal responsibility like a grown adult.'

You waste of fucking life.

I'll cry myself to sleep for sure. :lol:

:cuckoo: I probably watch a grand total of 40 hours of tv a year...so it matters not to me. I am merely pointing out that we are "allowed" to regulate what we own.

Maybe we need a Calm Act to keep you under control. :lol:

I'm not arguing that we aren't allowed to. I'm arguing that it's a waste of time for Congress to focus on now. Their efforts are needed in important matters like figuring out how to get millions of people off unemployment and welfare and getting them working and improving the economy. Not figuring out how to help someone fall asleep in peace while their TV is on.

And "it matters not to you"? :lol:

So little so, that you've devoted a significant amount of attention to every thread on the subject. :thup:
This bill was introduced back in Spring or Summer. It wasn't just cobbled together during the lame duck, taking time away from other issues.

Oh, you mean back in spring and summer when the economy was booming and we were at full employment?

My miss, sorry.

I wonder if they'd be upset if we, the owners of the airwaves, forbade broadcasters from using subliminal messaging?

:eusa_eh:

Then Obama would have nothing to say. :lol:

This went into effect yesterday. I noticed immediately that the volume level of commercials is no longer blaring. First time I didn't have to reach for the remote to lower the volume.

I heard that over the past decade the FCC received more complaints about the volume level of commercials over anything else. I wonder did those people complaining also let the broadcasters know? If so it would appear that the broadcasters (or would that be whoever does the commercials? not sure) simply ignored the complaints and let uncle make the decision/law. Too bad.

Used to be that there was a limit on commercial time and volume. With no controls, both the volume and number have gone up.

OTOH, there's always the mute button. I hate commercials so when programming ends, I automatically hit the mute.

Magnavox used to make a tv that had Smart Sound, which kept the volume of the commercials low without having to do anything. Great feature. Of course they never kept it.

Too bad the customer got ignored.

Forum List

Back